How do I know the image stablization working or not

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jackcpsu, Nov 9, 2012.

1. jackcpsu

jackcpsu New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2012
    Dear All,

I just got my epl3 today. I suspect the IS is not working. First, there is no sound nor any mecanical movement can be felt when the IS is turn on. Second, when I frame the picture, I can not feel any difference in camera shake between IS on and off. Third, I took several pictures with IS on and off. I am not sure there is a significant difference. My question is, is there a way to confirm whether the IS is working or not? Thank you very much for your help.

Jack

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you have a telephoto lens, you can try shooting at the longest focal length with IBIS on and off. That should be a good indicator if your IBIS is working or is faulty.

3. jackcpsu

jackcpsu New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2012
    The longest lens I have is contax 50 1.7. At f2 and 1/50. There is no difference between IS on and off.

Should I at least hear some sound or feel some mechanical movement while the IS is on and working?

Thanks.

4. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    There shouldn't be an audible sound. Try reducing your shutter speed by half and see if you notice a difference.

5. jackcpsu

jackcpsu New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2012
    I shot 10 pictures at f4 and 1/20. Not only there is no significant difference in successful rate. The sharpest image is taken when the IS is off. If there is no audible sound, should I at least feel the mechenical movement while the IS is working?

And should IS working when I half press the shutter?

Thanks.

6. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Turn on half press IS (OMD has it so im guess urs does too) and magnify your focus area. It will be immediate apparent on shutter half press

7. ^ Unfortunately not. The E-M5 is the only current Olympus that can activate the IS prior to the shutter release.

8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    HAH! you beat me to the punch :biggrin:

half press IS is disabled by default, so you gotta turn it on

EDIT: Guess not :redface:

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You could have faulty IBIS. Check if your E-PL3 has the latest firmware. That might help if the IBIS is spotty.

10. jackcpsu

jackcpsu New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2012
    So half press shutter will not enable IS for epl3, am I correct?

So, according to my situation, is my IS functioning or not?

Thanks.

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Try setting anti-shock at 1/8s. It helps with E-PM1 which has faulty IBIS. It seems to me that IBIS induces shutter vibration on these little bodies. Oly redesigned the shutter for E-PL5/E-PM2 so it works as it should.

12. jackcpsu

jackcpsu New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2012
    I thought this issue only occurred when you use tripod?

Thanks.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Welll, to be picky... the only Olympus MICRO FOUR-THIRDS body. All the Olympus DSLRs with IS had allowed you to preview the IS for up to 5 seconds in Live View.

But back on topic... I just test my IS using a series of about 10 shots shot at no more than 1/10s hand-held for around 50mm. For a longer focal length that figure can be faster but for a shorter focal length it must be even slower. IS on and IS off, same lens, same distance, MANUAL FOCUS, hand-held. Make sure you're not on a tripod. The more shots you take, the more accurate your results. Just like if you flip a coin 100 times, you're guaranteed to get 50% heads and 50% tails. If you flip it two or three times then your results could be anything, including all heads or all tails. So if you want to be sure of your results, just shoot more test shots but don't change anything, especially focus and shutter speed.

PS, the only way you will know IS is working is by results. There is no physical indication of its working, such as noise or feel. At least not with the old IS system present in your E-PL3.

14. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    I was curious also and found it was easy to tell the difference when I set the shutter speed to 1/2 second and took 5 shots each (handheld) at 100mm.

15. jackcpsu

jackcpsu New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2012
    Thanks for all of your inputs. I shoot canon exclusively by today. It actually surprise me that the IS of epl3 is not engaged while focusing and framing. I will do more test and see what happen. Thank you all very much.

16. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Because it's just the sensor moving, you won't feel anything. It's not like the old days when IS meant large, heavy gyroscopes. Regarding hearing noise, you MIGHT hear something during a longer exposure, but I never have (excluding the OM-D, but its IS is different)..

If you had a manual focus lens you can choose the wrong focal length by an extreme amount. If all you have are electronic micro four thirds lenses, try with longer shutter speeds.

The "L" series of PEN cameras are stripped down, and has less features.