1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do I improve user's experience with OMD?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 2mnycars, Nov 17, 2012.

1. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I have had it for about a month. Black OMD, Kit zoom. I have added the Oly grip.
    How do you carry/use your OMD?

I am still using my dslr bags. DSLR staps too.

Tried a simple wrist strap from a cheap P&S. Didn't
    Like it today, walking through a very busy mall.

Trying to lighten up, and simplify my life.

DaveL

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Personally I never bother with camera bags, tey are too bulky, and scream camera.

I like using SLR form fitting cases, and pouches for my lenses, and they get tossed into my daily use backpack along with books, laptop, or anything else I normaly carry around.

I have been using my cs-3sh for my E-300 and cs-7sh from my E-3, but one of these days I'll get the cs-36fbc that's designed for the OM-D.

As for a strap, I like using a lighter, 1-1/2" wide strap.

3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    By far, my favourite strap for the E-M5 is the artisan and artist cloth strap. Can also be wrapped around the wrist without any trouble.

I like messenger style bags (mainly Billingham) but you could get a Crumpler insert and just use a normal satchel or backpack, if lightness is really imortant.

Gordon

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I use a DSPTCH strap with one end affixed to the camera strap lug and the other end attached to the bottom of the grip. This allows the camera to point/face down. Attaching a strap to both lugs has the lens facing out from your body and causing the lens to pretend that it's a bumper car.

I am now using a Domke F-3X with the four compartment insert from the F-2. Typically I shoot with two cameras and mainly primes and the Domke is easy to get in and out making lens changes quick.

Gary

5. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I attached it to a monopod today, slung over the shoulder while walking. I'm going to agee with the handheld advocates here though as the monopod didn't seem to help with such a good IBIS (plus there is a lot less freedom and simplicity). So yea keep it simple. This was my first real outing with the OM-d and thoroughly enjoyed it, but still learning.

For in-cognito street photography some recommend simply hanging the camera in front of you and pointing OLED screen up. You look down while shooting.

6. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I truly appreciate all your posts.
    I'm a bagoholic. Your hints will help me resolve issues with bags I already have. As a bagoholic, I've been looking at new bags. Thanks for the bag hints.
    I tried doing without a strap. Somehow I have lost my Gordy strap, used for a couple of years on good P&S cameras. So I tried a simple wrist strap, that didn't make me feel comfortable. I considered another black rapid strap, but that seems too large for this use.

I am also considering a sling from leicagoodies, with their connector. bought one of Gordy's slings but don't like his connector. Maybe I can adapt that for this new camera, using an OpTech connector I already have? Not used to having a trap lug on the base of the grip since my dslr is a Nikon d300s. Just thinking...the magic of m4/3rds is that I can do things differently.

Came home yesterday, and put an UpStrap on the camera. Will try that today.

DaveL

• Like Like x 1
  7. stonetape72

stonetape72 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Another vote for Domke bag and DSPTCH strap here. Not sure what model bag I have, but I have 2 single compartments inside which fit my 2 bodies with a lens mounted. My other 2 lenses sit in one end pocket, spare batteries, cloth etc. in the other end pocket. Works perfectly for me.

8. d2mini

d2mini Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Fulshear, TX
    dennis
    I also use the simple artisan and artist cloth strap as seen here:
    https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8044/8108800873_cddee2f185_o.jpg

I also have a black one made by voigtlander but it's not adjustable in length and a bit short for what I like.

I have a Think Tank Retrospective 5 that works great for photo outings, but otherwise I just shove my omd into my larger bag that I have with me with an insert from another bag. Or use my large Tenba messenger which has a photo insert. The good thing about these small cameras is they can go into pretty much any bag and you can customize the amount of protection.

9. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I've been using a Passport Sling for my E-M5. I carry one lens on the body, 1-2 lens spare, and carry all my other stuff in the unpadded part. I have a flat water bottle that fits neatly in the end external pocket.

10. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    I've bought various straps and slings, all gathering dust. When I'm wandering, foot or cycle, I just stick the 20mm on and stuff it in a pocket.

11. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Thanks!
    Strap...I've taken the UpStrap off. The metal fittings on mine are the kiss of death. The Think Tank strap is on again. with one camera lug and one grip. lug used. I shall give that a try. Have a Domke gripper strap to try too. Future? Wapiti strap?

I am interested in the Olympus hand grip too...we'll see.

Thanks for all the posts here. They really do help me.

Dave
    Toronto

12. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    My concern is that I shall miss the charm this camera offers, treating it like I have film and digital slr's.

camera
    add a grip
    add a strap
    carry a bag...

DaveL

13. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I don't use straps on mine. The grip is nice to hold.

14. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Thank you; I have nerve damage in both hands and drop things...used a simple sling with my G9 when travelling. Worked well. However, this camera is too bulky for that (I think.) (Though I have a Gordy sling; thinking of trying this rig with an OpTech connector on whichever strap lug has it hanging right. Perhaps would work better with just the basic (1/2) of the Oly grip attached...

I have lost my Gordy wrist strap. I would be trying that...(the cord attachment frayed due to velcro attack from the vest I use so much. Probably time for a new Gordy strap anyway.

Dave

15. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Gordon, I'm a Bagaholic. I am also exclusively using my
    * Billingham Hadley Digital (packing light)
    * Billingham Hadley Pro (When carrying more.)

I occasionally regret not carrying my dslr gear.
    * d300s + grip
    * 18-200VR Walk around lens
    * 70-300VR for longer use; great lens, just not fast
    * 50/1.4

I have too many bags; LowePro Classified 160AW, LowePro Stealth--a keeper, Urban Disguise 40--unused, Retro10--traded, TT Speed Racer--traded for, Domke F3X--a delight, Domke F2--traded for, but incomplete as received. A Kata torso bag. LowePro Flipside Sport 15L--a delight. TT Streetwalker--almost never used.

My need is for shooter's bags; not storage bags. Yet I keep looking--Retro20 right now....but that bag is a storage bag with the raincover attached.

It's all about images. Gear doesn't matter, but good gear helps me get good images that I might not have been able to get before the purchase. (I used to have a photo business. For years. Profitable, with a diverse customer base.

Equipment High Lights? Leica M3 (stolen after a car crash); G9; Maybe...Oly M5

DaveL

16. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    That is how I used my G11...loved the screen.
    Find with my Oly M5 if I hold it straight in front of me, at waist level and close by, the screen goes blank, and it defaults to the EVF. I feel less stable holding the camera far enough away so that I can use the screen.

There must be a setting that I have missed...I prefer to use the screen as such, turned out, with the camera at waist level. And I like the ability to bring it to my eye using the EVF automatically. (This was the benefit with my Sony F828. However, the EVF had to be switched on--doofus factor--I missed many shots because I forgot to flip the switch.)

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have never used a camera bag to carry cameras (well maybe not never ... but pretty close to never). You can't take very many photos if the camera is in the bag.

Of late, I do enjoy using my Domke F3X with the four lens insert from my F2 for my "shooting bag". It is comfy, not too big, carries a ton of stuff and is very easy and quick to get in and out.

There is a button on the right side of the EVF hump. Depress and hold and you'll be taken to the EVF Sensor ON/Off menu. Turn the sensor off and you can manually control switching between EVF and LCD by pressing the button on the EVF.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  18. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Thanks Gary!
    The M5 hint helps.
    The bag hint will too. I have a ruggedwear F3X and a (olive) F2. I hadn't thought of using the insert.
    Here in Canada Domke bags are poorly marketed...the F3X cost is about $220 plus 13% sales tax, out the door. No wonder they don't sell any...postal pad lists at $42 Cdn plus sales tax.
    I can buy Billingham more cheaply through my vendor than Think Tank and Domke through the major vendor here.
    Buying bags through US vendors does save money, but returns are an issue if the bag doesn't work out.

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I am surprised at all the charges. I've been using Domke since the '70's. The ability to quickly get in-an-out of the bag is extremely important to me as I tend to shoot primes.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  20. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Makes it really hard to buy Domke.