1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do i get to bulb mode on g3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by b43rb8, Aug 8, 2011.

1. b43rb8

b43rb8 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 14, 2011
    Ok, so I find this so not intuitive. On my lumix g3, how do I get to "bulb" mode? Was there once, but sadly can't recall how I stumbled upon it.

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Go to Manual exposure mode. For details, see p 103 of the Owner's Manual.

3. b43rb8

b43rb8 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 14, 2011
    I'm there, but still can't get to it. Am always in M mode. Turned ss all the way to both sides and f to both sides, no bulb mode. I must be really daft. Looking at manual. I must be speaking an entirely different language :(

well i figured it out: i cannot be in burst mode. that makes sense. but manual does not mention that. and i forgot that i leave it in burst mode. better make a sticky for myself

• Like Like x 1
  4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    That's not intuitive at all. Good job figuring it out! Burst mode also affects playback review mode in some strange ways.

5. b43rb8

b43rb8 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 14, 2011
    thanks for letting me know re burst mode and playback review. have not shot in burst mode yet. and it turns out for shooting star trails the "experts" recommend stacking. so i will not need "b" mode after all. now i'm hoping our nights are dark enough for this. may have to wait another month. ahhhh the Alaskan white nights ;)

thanks for your help:thumbup:

6. Leowrobin

Leowrobin New to Mu-43

Dec 26, 2011
    Talking further about the "Bulb" mode. It is a bit short compared to the DSLRs where they go up more than 30mins. Here, our G3 can allow delay upto 2mins only. Are there any ways to go around the constraint and get a 30mins shutter delay from G3? This will be a revelation for me since I want to use G3 for star trail photography.

7. Azimuth

Azimuth Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Thornbury, Victoria
    The solution I can think of is to use a remote timer. Search Ebay for 'remote timer g3' and you should find plenty listed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

There is a remote timer on ebay for £23.99. I am also intrigued by the 2min bulb time, what happens after 2 mins, does the shutter just close even if locked down with a shutter release cord? It may be something to do with long exposure noise, perhaps the Panasonic sensors don't cope too well on that front.

9. meachp

meachp Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Norton-on-Tees, UK

Dead right:

Increase Bulb Shutter Speed in G3 - Four Thirds User discussion forum