How do I get the best out of video on the EPL1

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by jalex, Sep 3, 2010.

1. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    I want to be able to get the best out of the video aspect of the EPL1 and am looking for suggestions on what would be the best way to set it up for kid's soccer games or other kinds of action. So far my biggest problem is getting it focused in a timely way as the kids run closer in and then further out from me.
    For the soccer games I'm using the 45-200 mm Panasonic micro four thirds lens and am turning off the in body stabilization and using the stabilization on the lens. I am setting the combination up on a gorillapod so that I can keep it steady as I've found I can't get good results at all hand holding this combination especially at the long end. Thanks in advance,
    jane

2. Its an issue with the way E-PL1 contrast focuses and it has been reported by many... I've yet to see a solution. The best results is to use manual focus.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Awwww. Thanks. I'll have to get quicker with manual focusing then!
    I take it some of the Panasonics are better for video then? I've heard great things about the GH1 for video.

4. GH1 was designed with video in mind.... so yes. Better lens for video (quieter), higher resolution recording, better file format (longer play), etc. You should consider the GH1 if video is a priority.

Also.. remember.... E-PL1 has a 2GB file limit which means long records of video is problematic. Olympus takes "video clips".

• Like Like x 2
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    handholding a 200 mm which is 400mm equivalent in old money is never going to be easy on any camera.

Maybe suggest using a monopod might help - assuming you don't want to go the whole hog and invest in a tripod and proper video head. I picked up one in a Best Buy for like 30 dollars - no need to go the whole Manfrotto carbon fibre route :)

It will help stabilise the camera and free your hand up to concentrate on the focussing. Also easier to move around than a tripod.

Also remember, the kind of coverage you see of sports events on the TV - well they throw lots of money, people and technology to get those results - don't expect to get anything like that :)

K

• Like Like x 2