1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do I get rid of the gridin the E-M1??? Help please!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pcrit, Mar 9, 2014.

1. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    I was shooting yesterday for the first extended time with the E-M1 and really love it. I could not figure out how to stop displaying the grid while selecting the focus points and it drove me crazy because it distracts from the image I am composing. Is there a way to only show the focus point without the grid. It's very annoying but I can't figure it out.

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Don't think you can unless you simply use the touch screen for AF point selection (sans grid)

3. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    That's a poor design if that grid always has to be there with the viewfinder. Maybe it's just me but I find it really distracting and I hate the grid showing.

4. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    You can hide the composing grid lines if you're talking about that, it's very easy...

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Go into Custom Menu/Display/Displayed Grid and select Off. If this is what you mean.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    I think I have that off but will confirm, whenever I look into the viewfinder and select a focus point there is a grid displayed,

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    If you are in live view mode on the rear LCD screen, the grid won't appear, but it appears that it will appear in the EVF and can't be removed.

8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think he is talking about this (which is E-M5)
    S2032908-s.
    or this
    S2032909-s.
    And this only shows up (on the E-M5) when the AF selection button has been pressed & once the shutter button has been pressed (half press) the whole grid disappears & only shows the grid square (or group) where the selected focus point is. I doubt the options are different on the E-M1 but I'm open to correction.

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It must be something to do with the settings, as I don't see anything like that, or it's camera dependent.

10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    This is for both my E-M5 and E-M1.

There is a grid that displays in the EVF and the LCD when using the arrow pad to move the focus target. When selecting the location of the focus target by pushing the OK button or half pressing the shutter button the grid disappears.

If you start selecting a focus target point on the LCD, there is no grid; and then go the EVF, there is no grid. And the grid remains gone until a setting is changed or the camera is turn off and on.

Neither turning off Custom D > Display Grid or the Custom A > AF Area Pointer will affect the displayed focus target grid.

I'm not trying to compose and change the location of the focus target at the same time, so the grid is a non-issue for me.

I see no way to change those behaviors - so maybe OzRay has a setting that is the answer?

• Like Like x 2
  11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Have a look at page 52 of the manual and it describes what I'm getting when using 4/3 lenses. I get a smaller grid, but it only comes up when I invoke it using a pre-set button and then goes away when the selected and the shutter is pressed halfway. It does not come up again unless I press the button.

12. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Yes, it's the second picture with the whole grid and the focus point highlighted. I just find it very distracting and takes away from the shot I am trying to compose and maybe I am just used to my Nikon but I don't like the grid at all. I want to just display the focus point only. I realize the grid is a point of reference but I am curious if there is an option to not display it while selecting the focus point. It does not seem like this is possible but I know you can customize so much. Anybody else feel the same way?

13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No, I'm sorry, but I don't feel the same way as I've been using Olympus cameras for several years. :wink:

It is only while selecting the appropriate focus point & as said already, a half press of the shutter button or the OK button returns to the normal screen (clears the grid).

• Like Like x 1
  14. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    It just might be that I need to get used to it but find it very distracting when trying to focus on something specific.

15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Um, the grid is the focus points. Which are always on and not spread across the entire capture area on your Nikon. If you need/want to switch via a custom button and eye to the finder the grid is 'mandatory'. If you simply use the touchscreen it's not there at all.

16. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Use touch screen firing .The camera focuses and takes picture where you touch the screen. No grid present.