How do I focus with the vf-4?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mootxico, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mootxico

mootxico Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2014
    I got myself a VF-4 recently. It's been a pleasure shooting with one hand holding the camera and using my head as support.

There's one thing im curious about, though. How do you quickly choose which part of the picture to focus on when in viewfinder mode? Clicking the arrow buttons move the focus square too slowly for it to be any good for street shots.

Do I just click away and hope the camera focuses on the right stuff?
  2. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Theo K.
    The only way is switch to LCD to pick focus point then go back to VF.
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Or use one of the Center AF Point options, point at the subject to focus on, half-press and hold shutter, recompose, press shutter.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dccase

dccase Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    Massachusetts, USA
    I set one of my buttons to the "Magnify" option.
    Pressing the button once brings up a focus point that you can move around with the dial.
    Pressing it a second time zooms in on the selected point. You can zoom in and out with the dial.
    Pressing it a third time goes back to the normal view.

Since I mostly use the EVF with manual focus lenses, I made a MySet with all the settings I like to use with manual lenses.
    - Magnify button
    - Manual focus
    - Focus lock attached to another button in case I'm using a AF lens
    - P mode which work like aperture priority with lenses with an aperture ring
    - Stabilizer focal length set to match the lens I'm using

I have another MySet that brings me back to my favorite autofocus settings.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Using a single AF point, and placing it in the frame where you want to focus is generally the way I go. I normally place it on one of the grid lines (I have grid lines turned on) and use manual focus with back button focusing mode, so I can focus peak as needed or AF as needed.
  6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Once you start AF point selection you can then use the dials which is much quicker (when used to it).