1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do I change the direction of SS on GH2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Empireme, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I'm coming from an Oly albeit briefly but I'm already used to turning the scroll to the left to decrease the shutter speed. But on the GH2 it's the opposite direction. Ive searched my menu and my book, but still cant find it. Is it something I can do on this camera? And also does it have a depth of view preview option I can customize? Thanks as always mu34.

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    For depth of field preview, press the button on the bottom right of the back panel. It is marked with aperture blades, plus a trash can (in shooting mode, it acts as DOF preview, and in playback mode, it acts as delete picture).

Not sure about changing scroll wheel direction.

3. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    I just got my GH2, but for what I have find out with the camera set on Shutter Speed priority you can change the SS by rotating the wheel above the display button, to the right to increase SS and to the left to decrease it.

This wheel can also be pressed to adjust the exposure. I hope this helps.

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I think he understands how the wheel works. What he wants to do is to reverse/mirror its function, i.e. if turning it to the right increases exposure, he wants to decrease exposure.

Empireme, I don't think you can do that. If there were a setting for it, it would be in the [custom] menu, of which is explained on page 130 (according to the online manual, assuming it's the same version as yours). It's just going to be one of those brand quirks that you're going to have to get used to.
    That being said, I don't think you're correct. Turning the wheel to the right definitely increases shutter speed. Have you accidentally gone to the multi-second exposures, and are therefore confusing yourself? If there is a quotation mark: " next to the number, then it is in seconds. So, 20" means 20 seconds, not 1/20th second.

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Yeah, I don't remember how Oly shows it, but on Panasonics:

20 = 1/20 sec
    20" = 20 sec

Edit: on the G3 and GF1 (probably the same as GH2), pushing right on the scroll wheel increases shutter speed (open for shorter amount of time.)

6. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    My bad!!, such a trivial things do confused me, therefore I thought it was confusing him, sorry about the not so helpful reply LOL :redface: