How do I attach the Olympus EP 11 Eyecup to OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RuffDraft, Apr 20, 2013.

1. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Hi,

Sorry, I really can't manage to get it on! :/

Thanks to anyone who can help!

2. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    I just got mine and found that it IS much harder to get on. I was afraid of damaging it at first but I just kept pushing and it slid right on.

One's thing for sure, it's not going to come off easily. After a couple of days of using it, I love it!

3. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Sorry, when you say pushing, do you put it on by sliding it downwards or do you just put it over it and push hard?

Glad you love it!!

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Whoa Ruff -easy there boy! Yes it has to slide down on the rails of the viewfinder. You realize of course that you have to take the OEM eyecup off first, right? To take the OEM eyecup off, slide it up and off of the viewfinder rails. The EP-11 goes on the same way.

5. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Haha

Yes, I've got the original off... slid it up, but the EP-11 doesn't seem to fit... I'm trying to put it on in a flush way and then on its side a bit... but it won't seem to go on... yet! Any tips?

*EDIT* GOT IT! Thank you and this thread can be deleted unless people want to perform a search in the future. I managed to get it on a little bit, and then it slid on pretty easily. Just finding that first lip is the hardest part. Got it on now! Thank you!

6. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I find the EP-11 a necessity for outdoor shooting.

7. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Indeed, although once on it's one of the things that make the OM-D look like a (mini) DSLR :)

Reading this thread I must say this is exactly the same thing I went through, but even more so when removing the EP-10 (the original flat cup). Olympus just put it in a plastic sleeve, there are no instructions included whatsoever. Even though I'm not a particularly clumsy person it took me a good while to figure out how to take the old one off and even at that I wasn't sure if I'm doing it right, same with the EP-11. Even a small "this way good, this way bad" type of drawing would be better than nothing.

8. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Australia
    Rob
    I just got one Friday and had the challenge .. I found that sliding across the right side into position then 'gently' pinching it between thumb & index finger so as to bend it over left side a few millimeters then push on. It has spring to it so don't squeeze to hard you'll kink it ..

9. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I just got one after losing the original. It went on easy. Unfortunately it might come off easy, too.

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just lost my EP11 yesterday while at a festival event (IronFest in Lithgow). :mad: It must have come off right at the end because I didn't notice it missing till I got it out of my bag at home.

I find it ideal with wearing glasses as it shades the glasses from external glare nicely.

11. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Ross, did the whole thing come off or just the rubber attachment? The one on my OM-D sits really firm, I don't know what I'd have to do to lose it, maybe I'm just not torturing it enough. I've seen more reports of if falling off, maybe people are not fully attaching it. Maybe Olympus don't include any instructions on purpose so that people buy more...

12. Ross the fiddler

The whole thing came off & I had been using a sling strap earlier which may have loosened it (bumping against my leg) & also I had taken it off to clean the glass the day before, so it either weakened it or maybe I hadn't clicked it all the way down.

13. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Glad to see this thread. I finally lost my original eyecup the other day so I have a replacement original, and the EP-11 coming in the mail. I guess these are like the hot shoe covers, always getting lost.

14. markl9

markl9 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2012
    I read mixed reports on the EP-11 for glasses wearers, some say it's a must and other say it hinders and you can't see the full image. Any consensus of views here, cues image just ya ego try one for myself?

15. Ross the fiddler

While it may restrict slightly, it shields the glasses of external reflected light & is the better option for me.