How did your Windows 10 upgrade go?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PeeBee, Aug 22, 2015.

1. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    Last weekend I upgraded my PCs to Windows 10. That's 3 out of 9 PCs at home. My main PC (previously Windows 8.1 Pro), my 'backup' machine (an HP OEM server that was running Windows 7 Pro) and an old Samsung netbook that was running Windows 7 Starter.

I would usually opt to do a clean install, but for convenience I decided I'd try the upgrade path first. I imaged my previous Windows 8.1 pro machine in advance so I could roll back without fuss if required. The upgrade was pretty much flawless and all my previously installed hardware and software work in 10. A few drivers were updated in the process which defaulted some settings but it was otherwise painless.

Since the HP server is just a backup machine, there was very little in terms of hardware or software to worry about, so I didn't even bother to back it up first. That upgrade was even smoother than my main rig since most of the drivers were on default settings anyway.

The Samsung netbook failed during the upgrade. On the second pass, I opted to delete all apps and files, since I don't really use it and there was nothing on it I can't replace.This time the upgrade succeeded. I had to download just the touchpad driver from Samsung, and apart from that, again it was pretty much painless.

The upgrade leaves behind some large installation and backup folders, which should clean up ok but I haven't done so as yet so I can't comment.

So far, so good! Much better than some previous upgrades I've done.

Another positive is that my images viewed in Windows 8.1 photo viewer always seemed a lot darker than when viewed in LR, PS or a web browser. I tried to resolve this through calibration but there was always a difference. In Windows 10, or the compatible video driver, that seems to be fixed.
  2. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Just done my main PC, a HP laptop. The upgrade itself went without a hitch, but I've had a few instances of it freezing since. However, I've updated some drivers, disabled fast startup, and so far so good.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My in laws let their laptop upgrade. Touchpad stopped working and it was running about 1/3 as fast as it should. Had to uninstall all the old Lenovo utilities and drivers for win 8. Took quite a while. Now it Works fine but takes 5 full minutes to boot and finish loading before it is usable. It's not an old POS, either, it's got a nice i5 chip but no SSD.
  4. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I've done my home-built desktop. That went fine-upgraded and then clean installed. My only hitch so far is that now the range of my mouse and receiving is weirdly small. It's a Microsoft mouse, too. Weird stuff. So now I have to keep my USB receiver plugged into the USB expansion dock on the desk instead of on the case.

That sounds like it could use a clean install...
  5. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    Interesting. My son has a Lenovo and I had quite a few problems with that when I installed Win7 from a standard ISO rather than the Lenovo OEM image (I didn't want their bloatware). There were some odd driver requirements, but I got it sorted in the end. I'm expecting a few issues when I upgrade it to 10 but he wants to build a new system so we might skip that one for now. I have a Lenovo laptop to do too.

My colleagues have had a few problems with upgrades too, I guess I've been lucky with the 3 I've done so far.
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, but then I'd have to do it for her!!!:crying:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    I'm an expert home user. My desktop PC is basically a media server/client that I recently rebuilt with a new motherboard, Core i7, and Windows 8.1. This had solved some of the issues I was having with Windows 7, but was also a bit choppy when it came to booting and running programs. So I figured I'd upgrade to 10 early.

The upgrade did break a few things. First, a couple of my older programs vanished. Windows didn't warn me about that, and I think it should have. But no harm done. I can add them back in. Meanwhile, all my hardware drivers and multimedia apps are up-to-date and working beautifully. And operations seem smoother than in Win 8.1.

The worst problems generated lots of errors in the Event Viewer logs. Did some research and found out that a fresh install would not likely fix anything. Found some serious bugs, such as file and folder permission problems that require deep tinkering to fix. These were preventing some key apps and Cortana from working at all. They were also causing Explorer to lock up for long periods. I followed online instructions to repair what I could. Recent Windows updates took care of some other glitches, like Explorer crashes. Still getting a few access permission errors in the logs, but not in a hurry to fix them.

So far, old programs seem to be working just fine. New apps are a mixed bag. The new Movies & TV app is weak. Lots of better choices for multimedia. The X-box-oriented game platform is also not quite ready. Cortana works well, though - even with my ancient $4 microphone! She can stay. ;)

My 5-year-old Windows 7 laptop won't be upgraded. Too many laptops, including this one from Toshiba, use proprietary versions of drivers for bundled hardware. Often, these cannot be upgraded without breaking things. Toshiba support says this beast won't support 10. It might work anyway - at best, only Toshiba's own maintenance software would break; but I don't see any benefit in trying right now.
  8. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I have done two laptops and two desktops in the house. Everyone went very smooth. All of them were running either Windows 7 (1) or windows 8.1 (3). Very happy with the upgrades so far. All files, settings, programs, etc. seem to work so far. I have not exercised everything but my main tools are all good.
  9. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I'm really loving Windows 10 on my Dell Inspiron 1170 laptop. This is my main computer and it's just an i3, 6GB RAM, upgraded 250 GB SSD, with 13" screen...but so far, the only thing that has bugged me is that I can't utilize 2-finger scroll on native Windows 10 apps/screens, but scrolling seems to work just fine on apps that I had previously installed on Windows 7 (i.e., Office 365, Lightroom, Olympus Viewer).

Other than the scrolling issue, everything has been smooth. I really love the Action Center and the Start Menu...and similarly, I also like the synced calendars and mail apps. It's not too much of a change from Windows 7, but I'll wait for a bit before updating my desktop computer.
  10. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    So far, I've only upgraded one (Dell XPS 8700 "born" with 8.0 and upgraded to 8.1) of the 3 eligible machines at home and haven't upgrade any of the 3 at work that I manage. All of the pending upgrades are to machines born with 8.1, though one is a low resource tablet. The upgrade went very smooth with no issues other than Win10 apparently chronic issues with Sleep. So fare, none of the updates and none of my experimental tweaking has managed to cure the poor machines insomnia.

I've yet to spend any real time tweaking the monitor color, but it seems very close to the adjusted display characteristics that I had before upgrade. All of my external devices (keyboards, mice, HDs, Scanner, printers, ...) are working fine. It also seems that the Bluetooth, which worked perfectly under Win8.0 but became very flaky under Win8.1, is now working well again. It seems Win10's install scrubbed out the conflicting drivers and replaced them with new, or something to that end.

On balance, I like the results. Everything was in its place after the upgrade except the new Start Menu only had the default icons and nothing from my old custom arranged Win8.1 Start Page. The two function quite differently (different scroll directions, different icon sizes, different icon positioning, ...) so it is quite understandable that MS couldn't translate the old arrangement for the new system. I live by the Taskbar with Start as only access to less frequently used apps and the Taskbar translated just fine with the new default icons mixed with my old chosen ones.
  11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've upgraded my primary Windows 7 Acer desktop (i5, 16 GB RAM) that runs PS and ACR, my wife's Windows 8.1 Laptop (i5, 4 GB RAM), and my Windows 8.1 Surface 3, all without problems. The desktop and Surface are running very nicely, the desktop starts much faster than before in fact. The laptop also starts faster but still pretty crap compared to the others. I think it is bogged down with a) bloatware and b) crappy hard disk...
  12. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    That's why I talked my MIL into a Chromebook. :wink:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    I have an older 24inch imac with dual boot osx and a windows 7. I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 and all went very well except the Nvidia graphics driver causes it to freeze and I have to reboot to get it to do anything. It works for five minutes and then freezes again. I have tried updating the drivers but so far no luck, I tried an older driver and still no luck. Finally got so frustrated that I reverted back to Windows 7 until the driver issue is sorted. Apparently it is a known issue with nvidia and doesn't seem to affect other graphics hardware.
    I prefer OSX for most things but need Windows for some of my work programs, can't wait to retire but still got 4 years to go yet, will probably have a new machine before then anyway ;)
  14. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Hereford, UK
    Martin Connolly
    I have a Lenovo Yoga 13inch PC. The install went mostly smoothly. For several hours it could not even detect the wireless adapter, but then suddenly it did, and since then it's been fine.
  15. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    My newer Desktop (running Windows 8.1) upgraded but I had an issue with an incompatible program, it took a while to find what was causing the problem but it ended up being a menu customizing program called start 8.

My Lenevo laptop upgraded without any issues from Windows 8.1

My daughters old desktop (running Windows 7.x) refuses to upgrade at all, the upgrade starts and then it just drops out and keeps running Windows 7.1 (the suggested fix is manual registry editing which I haven't bothere with yet).
  16. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    For anyone conteplating a clean install... According to Microsoft, if you do the upgrade, let it activate automatically, then you can do a clean install and it will automatically activate. Judging by a number of internet forums the subsequent clean install activation is is a bit hit and miss, and no-one seems to be buying the official Microsoft line that "our activation servers are busy, but it will activate eventually". However, the following process does appear to work:
    1. Upgrade & let it activate
    2. Download the appropriate windows 10 media, using Microsoft's media creation tool, if you haven't already done so
    3. Clean install (choose skip when it asks for a product key) - if it activates you are lucky, stop here
    4. Install any missing drivers, etc
    5. From Settings, Update & Security, Recovery, choose Reset this PC. I went with the erase everything option
    When it finishes the setup procedure it should have automatically activated.
    Hope that helps someone.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    Yes, I'm curious about the new activation process. There is a fair amount of talk that says the Windows 10 license is locked to the digital fingerprint of the hardware on first activation. If the previous version of Windows was OEM, it will not re-activate in the future if the hardware changes significantly, such as in the case of a motherboard replacement. In this case the user will be required to obtain a new license. If the previous version of Windows was retail, you should be able to transfer the license onto new hardware.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  18. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    What I want to know is how to get rid of the nagging popup trying to get me to update a perfectly fine install of W7pro64? I tried uninstalling KB3035583 and renaming the hidden folder but no luck. And I can't get into Windows Update to deselect the update from reinstalling itself. I get a popup insisting that I must restart and install the waiting "upgrade" in order to get into win update and deselect this POS. MS is really pushing this "upgrade". I'm afraid that some morning I'm going to find out that I'm now running W10 without my permission.
  19. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    updated the other day. My cheapo USB-WiFi dongle gave Windows10 troubles.
    First, when plugged in during the installation, the computer would freeze on the Welcome/account setup screen.
    Second, drivers had to be updated, because wifis where visible to Windows10, but not visible to me..

Sicne then, pretty cool actually (w7 to w10 update!)
  20. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012

I haven't tried this but it looks pretty simple