How did you start out photography?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kitaro9202, Jun 5, 2013.

1. kitaro9202

kitaro9202 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2013
    I started it out using cellphone to take phone slowly by film camera to dslr to m4/3

But i currently still using all these to take photo:)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Mu-43 mobile app
  2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I always dabbled in photography as a kid, playing with the family Kodak Brownie and Instamatic in the 1960s. That would be film. In the 1970s, I was on the high school newspaper and shot a lot of images for that. My first SLR was a 100 percent manual Minolta SRT-200 with one lens: a Rokkor-X 50mm f/2.0. That was all I could afford at the time and got by like that for literally years. I still own that camera today although I last shot with it about 15 years ago.
  3. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    My grandpa won a prize from the south china morning post for shooting breathtaking landscape photos of Guangzhou province during the early 1900s with his Rolleiflex. I always wondered what that the trophy with the TLR was about.
  4. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    My dad (now 85) was in to it and got me interested at around the age of 10. Let me use his Argus C3 and got me a Kodak Pony IV for a birthday. Wouldn't get me a Kodak Instamatic because he wanted me to learn us manual settings! Over the years, I shot a lot of Nikon and Bronica.

First digital was a Kodak DCS 420 (1.6 megapixel Nikon body modified to digital). I was hooked. I worked for a Kodak Digital Imaging dealer and had it on loan. When I changed jobs, I had to give it up. Ended up buying a Canon D30 at around $2400.00. I went with Canon because the only Nikon DSLR was around $5000.00 at the time (and I really couldn't afford either one).

I've been in and out of Micro Four Thirds... started with the Panasonic G1, went back to Canon, then tried a G3. I liked the feel, but not the viewfinder. Got back in again when a friend showed me his E-PL5 and VF-2. I picked up an EM5 and ended up selling all of my Canon. With the high image quality and better selection of lenses available now, I don't ever see going back again.
  5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    With one of these:

(Thanks and a tip of the hat to Ken Rockwell!!!).

Later on I moved on to

[ame=]Vintage Polaroid Swinger Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

(the camera, not the girls :wink: ). Thanks to Ulf Kastner for digging up that old T.V. commercial.

Then onto my first 'serious' camera, which I found at the Vung Tau Px while serving with the U.S. Army in Vietnam:

Olympus Pen F

(Thanks to Camera Quest!).

That camera was one of the few things I brought back to the World from "in country", and it was the start of my fascination with making photographs which has lasted very nearly 45 years. Up until the Pen I had a camera because, well, everybody had a camera. The Pen was the first camera that "spoke to me".

I loaned the Pen to a friend who accidentally destroyed it :frown:. That began the merry-go-round of gear that has wound it's way through Pentax, Minolta, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and a few off brands as well (anybody ever buy a Chinese made "Cherry"? I had one for a couple of was an inexpensive knock off of a TLR Rolleiflex).

The merry-go-round has (temporarily?) stopped where it started - another Pen in the stable - albeit now it doesn't require film :thumbup:.

6. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Bravin Neff
    Nikon FE -> FE2 --> D40 --> D80 --> D300 --> D700 --> Olympus OM-D EM5

Along the way, a Mamiya 7 (loved that thing), Speed Graphic with Kodak 135mm f4.7, Tachihara 4x5 with Nikkor 210mm f6.8 and Nikkor 300mm f5.6, a bunch of Nikon film SLRs, one EPL2 with P20 f1.7, plus a 6x9 rollfilm back for the 4x5.

Oh, and a Coolscan 5000 and a Coolscan 8000 (those count, don't they?).
  7. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    Six years ago a friend whith his own biz saw me fooling around with my first PnS camera and said "why don't you get a real camera and work part time for me?" So I bought a Pentax K10, 16-45mm lens and a copy of CS4 and started shooting realestate.
  8. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    My parents gave my an Instamatic when I was young, and since I have a touch of esthetic blood I started to like it... :)
  9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    My dad finally bought me my first camera in the mid-70s, an Agfa 110 Pocket 2008 with flipflash, probably to keep me away from his camera! In 1980, I scraped together enough to buy a Fujica STX-1 35mm SLR with a 55mm f/2.2 lens. I couldn't afford the f/1.8 version. It was fully manual, but it did take a battery that ran the meter. I used this camera till I got my first digital, a Nikon Coolpix 880, in 2000. From there I went to a Pentax K-x and then to MFT. :eek:
  10. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    a co-worker lent me his FE-2 with a 50mm Ai and a roll of transparency. I got an FM2N a 28mm/50mm a week after that :2thumbs:
  11. greenlight

greenlight Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Colin B
    My parents gave me the old family Instamatic 133 when I was a kid... then for a long time I used a Yashica T3, I think using that over many years for travel pics was what really got me into photography.
  12. yiddishyak

yiddishyak New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2010
    How'd you start photography?

The first camera I hs was a Brownie (can't remember the model) that used 120 film. In high school, I took some photos for the school paper with a Yashika-Mat 124 (G?), completely manual camera with no light meter. Later I got a Cannonet (Canon rangefinder) that was stolen, followed by a Petri Racer (likewise a rangefinder with a fixed lens, a 35 or 40 mm lens maybe). My first "real camera" was a Nikkormat, to which I added an FM2 and an FE2 and assorted lenses. I also had a collection of Olympus gear (OM1, OM2, both great cameras). Sold the Olympus gear and got an F4 with some autofocus lenses. Later, sold the F4 and got a Fuji S2 Pro, great camera by the way.

A few years ago, I became entranced with the Panasoni LC-1 (to be followed by the Leica Digilux 2, both great and very interesting tools, which I still own) and then bought a G1, GH1 (for video), a GF1, GF2 and finally a G3. Although I will probably move up to a D600 (time to sell the S2 Pro), I do have a great deal of fun with micro-four thirds (easier to schlep around!).
  13. mblevins

mblevins Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2013
    Argus C3 was also my first camera borrowed from my Dad! It eventually died, and I didn't pick up another camera until I got a Nikon 6006. Then an 8008s, a D40, a canon S90 and then finally my OMD. And a few point & shoots in there as well.
  14. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Took basic photography requirements in high school and college, have a couple photographer friends so it's always been around. Over the years I've played around with toy cameras Holgas, pinholes etc as a hobby. The OM-D was my first digital camera that wasn't a P&S and with it I've been teaching myself and trying to improve my photo skills mainly with landscape and still life.

I've been toying around with exploring full frame sometime in the future(maybe a Nikon D600/D800) especially for still life shoots as my skills progress and need dictates, but for now the OM-D does mostly what I need it to, and is the perfect size for travel and portability.
  15. tbhv55

tbhv55 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 26, 2010
    This was my first SLR also... and a much under-rated camera IMHO. It's still sitting in a drawer, but sees only occasional use.
    I'm not entirely convinced that I've enjoyed any subsequent camera as much as I enjoyed that one, back in the day. Probably it was just because I was learning photography, and it was all so new and exciting and interesting...:smile:
  16. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Yes, I loved that camera! I still had it till last year (in perfect shape), when I gave it to a friend. She's since passed it on. I kind of wish I'd kept it just for the nostalgia. I probably chose the silver EM5 over the black, because it reminds me of the Fujica. :smile:

Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!
  17. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    When I was a child I enjoyed playing around with an old Kodak box brownie that the parents had put on the 'shelf' because they'd bought a Kodak Instamatic (and taking photos when I could afford film out of my allowance). When they updated to a later model Instamatic I got the old one which meant I could take more photos (120 film was more expensive). Our school camera class and the camera club both had darkroom facilities which helped reduce cost and introduced me to developing.

My first camera with something other than minimal controls was a brand new Minolta X300 with a 50mm lens and a sunpack flash which I bought out of savings from my first job.
  18. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    When I was about 6 or 7 years old, some family member bought me a Mickey Mouse film camera. I really wanted to use that camera, but my parents never put film in it. That was the spark of my life-long obsession. When I was 10, my grandmother bought me a Kodak Instamatic. That fueled my creativity and increased my obsession.

When I was 13, I saved money and purchased a brand new Pentax K1000. My first year of college (1984) I purchased my first Nikon SLR; an FM2N. From there I have grown progressively more obsessive (countless film and digital cameras) and ended up to where I am at today with a G5.

p.s. I still have that original Kodak, my original FM2N plus several dozen other SLR's, DSLR's, medium format cameras and countless lenses and accessories.
  19. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    My mother was into photography, and the first camera I got was a medium format Agfa Isolette when I was six (this camera required carrying both a light meter and range finder, and you had to cock the shutter before taking a picture).

I got my first SLR when I was 11, and I used that camera for 20 years (I also learned how to develop and print film at that age).

Used my first electronic still camera (the pre-digital Canon Xapshot) when I was in my early 20's.

Had a few P&S digitals since a dSLR costed more than a car back then.

Got an Oly C-700UZ in 2002, E-300 2005, E-330 2007, E-3 2010, and E-M5 April of last year. Also got a Fuji W3 3D camera a few years ago, and a converted full spectrum (iR and UV capable) Canon XS this year.
  20. penners_r

penners_r Mu-43 Rookie

My Dad gave me an Olympus Trip in 1977 (which I still have) then I went onto an OM 10. After a few years with Canon SLRs I bought my first digital. However I then enrolled on a City and Guilds Photography course, so it was back to film again - Leica R4 and several lenses. (still got that camera as well) although I sold some of the lenses to fund a Nikon D80 setup.
    After several years of lugging a DSLR around and really falling out of love with photography I came across the Olympus Pen series. I am now the proud owner of an E-P2 and a E-PM1, so you could say I've come full circle back to Olympus and at the same time rediscovered the enjoyment of just being able to go out and take photos with out having to carry around huge cameras all day and all that goes with that.