How did you find

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As you know, this is a fairly new site, off to a great start with a terrific group of photographers who are enthusiastic about the :43: system. As part of exploring ways to help our site continue towards its potential, I wanted to ask everyone how they found in the first place.

Please leave a comment, especially if you vote for "Other" or "Link from another site", in which case I'd like to know the specifics!
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Okay first "Other" vote belongs to me. I found when I founded this site :smile:.

I think the fact that we've grown to the current level of activity in less than 1 month since I registered the domain really speaks to the excitement about Micro Four Thirds and also the effort from our Super Mod Brian Mosley and early members in contributing to this site.

Special thanks also to 1001 Noisy Cameras, The Online Photographer, the UKPSG, and the Flickr group admins who allowed invitations to be posted (Olympus Pen E-P1 group, Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 group, and Micro Four Thirds Community) :drinks: :clapping:.
  3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
  4. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Via flickr. Glad to have found it and I very much appreciate Amin's efforts to create a good space for us all here!
  5. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Amin told me:) Great site!
  6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Link from another site

I saw a post in DPReview .com
  7. oldmandon

oldmandon Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 25, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Like Iansky, I too saw a post on DPReview.
  8. sliepa

sliepa New to Mu-43

Dec 16, 2009
    I found the 1001... link on My Yahoo
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hi sliepa, welcome to mu-43!
  10. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Rebekka,

welcome to the forum! I'm from Sheffield in the centre of the UK... I wish I had a magic carpet, to be able to meet all the friends I've made around the world - in the meantime, why not post a picture of your part of the world!

11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Amin and everyone involved for setting up this site! I've been researching the Olympus E-P1 and 2 for a while and am very glad to have found my way here via The Online Photographer which I found by googling the camera for reviews, and where I started to fall in love with the idea of getting ahold of one of these new cameras.

Way back when, I was a photo major and used the OM-1 for color and loved doing my own work...but as time passed and life changed I found myself putting aside my film camera and have been treading water in the digital p & s lagoon...and have started to want to do more. This new format and especially these two cameras have really caught my interest!

Looking forward to learning more and eventually buying one of these cameras.

Your site looks to as though it will be a quite helpful!:bravo-009:
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sadly, RebekkaWillinger from Chicago was a spambot. I always Google the generic "Hi I'm new here from X place...", and 9 out of 10 times, I get 50 hits on single forum posts in 50 different forums :frown:. For example:"Hey...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Welcome BBW! I'm glad the site looks helpful. It is fairly new, but I think it will be both a fun place to exchange photographs and converse, as well as a useful place for :43: users and those interested in the system! As a former OM user, I think that my :43: cameras are the first that I am starting to connect with in a similar way to what I felt with my OM-2n.
  13. voyager

Dec 31, 2009, strangely enough.
  14. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Well spotted Amin, I wonder what the point of that would be? how would the spambot create an account, find a relevant forum and post a comment like that?

Seems very sophisticated, not sure where's the payload for them?

15. voyager

Dec 31, 2009
    There's something similar on SMF that Google does.
  16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I haven't been able to figure out why they do it. Maybe they also try to send PM/email spam at the same time? Some boards require a first post before PM/email can be sent. That's why our board requires a couple posts before members can use these features.

The spambots are pretty sophisticated, but I think this one just got lucky. Maybe it was set to post in the most recently updated thread? Most of the time they post in irrelevant threads. A phrase like "hope I posted this in the right forum" is a common tipoff.
  17. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Serious Compacts. I bookmarked and it took me about a week to get around to joining.
  18. flyby

flyby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just got my Panasonic GF1 today. Trying to find out as much as possible about it and how to use most effectively. Found this group through Flickr GF1 user group. Look forward to posting and learning and meeting you all. Glad I joined.
  19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  20. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands

Brian told me.
    Brian thanks:thumbup:

Kind regards, Herman