How did fatherhood/motherhood change your photography?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi friends
    I started photography as a 18 years old boy when I entered the Med school and obvious it was all about film and nothing digital. I used to shoot selectively , print selectively and keep selectively .I bought my first digital camera in 1998 and it was a sony P&S . Till 2005 I was quite casual with photography though I had started using DSLR .FAst forward year 2005 - my daughter entered our lives and things changed considerably ..I started shooting more and more pics, more lenses were bought and sold , more camera bodies and result is I have around 40-50K shots of my daughter alone leave aside other pics , and she is only 6 year old. For me fatherhood played a major role to learn and try different cameras, lenses and diff exposures , lights .It encouraged me to learn and experiment and it became a serious hobby . I became more confident and shooting became more exciting and fun after her birth .
    So I am wondering how many casual photographers turned into serious ones when they became dads?Or how fatherhood affected ur photography?

PS- this doesn't apply on pro photographers who earn their bread and butter through photography
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Made me buy a lot of expensive gear.....:smile:
    (Also, let's not forget the moms here) :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Easy answer here, it went from nil to an obsessive hobby overnight. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Bhupinder2002

mums included now
  5. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    My daughter's the sole reason I got into photography. And im so glad I did. I love learning and becoming better....
  6. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    ditto! with no regrets and less money than I had.
  7. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Other way for me... settled down, had kids, stuck more to design/web development instead of traveling with a camera. Dumped the gear for m4/3 and never looked back. I find it easier to get good shots of my kids at home and at their sport/school events without pro gear coming out of the bag. My little Oly has never let me down, save the possible exception of the shutter release being slower. But when that could be an issue, I put the Oly's drive on continuous and shoot away. I've always gotten something from the burst.

My "commerical" work these days is limited to photos for my company's web site and literature, the Oly gives me perfect quality for that, and it seems like I post-process less now.

So, I went more amateur, and have loved every frame of it.

...but would like a more "pro" PEN body someday.

This was a literal grab shot from this morning... I keep the camera laying around my desk to grab whenever. These mean more to me (and the extended family) than most anything else I've shot.

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Parenthood led me to M43, before I became a Dad I didn't care for M43 or mirrorless cameras at all. I thought why not just get a real camera? But after having to haul a stroller, baby bag, my wife's purse and holding the baby all at the same time...I needed a smaller camera! I still have my DSLRs for work, but for light travel my Pens are now my prime setup!
  9. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I'll let you know in a month. :yahoo:
    • Like Like x 4
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011

Stock up on coffee! :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    It is the whole reason why. Before I thought/behave as if I was invincible, now I take it day by by day and want to make sure I have lots of pictures to re-live it.
    I should add that as a mom, the only way for me to do all this is with mu43 gear. There's just no way I'm hauling a big dslr and lenses around.
    With my GH2, 20mm and 14-140mm I'm set and ready to go!!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sleep now...because you won't get any of it after parenthood! :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Motherhood was the reason I bothered to improve my photography. Of course, as part and parcel of improving the photography, I improved my gear too. :rofl:

But seriously, I was a crappy photographer when my son was born. We had a decent compact P&S (Canon PowerShot) but I was always unhappy with the pictures I was taking of my baby. I decided to do something about it. I studied the fundamentals of photography first, until I outgrew the capabilities of my camera. Then I got a Lumix superzoom (FZ35) and started shooting/editing in RAW. Used that, and kept studying photography and experimenting and challenging myself, until I outgrew that camera. Then got a GH2, and am still studying, learning, experimenting, challenging.

The good news is, there is a NOTICEABLE improvement in my pictures since I started. This makes me happy. Even my husband comments on it. :biggrin: The gear is part of it, but my personal growth is WAY more important: learning about composition, lighting, etc.

The only thing that makes me sad is that since I'm always the one behind the camera, there are not so many pictures of me and my son together. :frown: So I always schedule a professional family photo shoot each year ...
    • Like Like x 2
  14. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Impending fatherhood (my wife is expecting in March) is what got me into this mess in the first place! I picked up a E-PL1 not shortly after we found out the news and have been practicing on the two house cats in preparation for taking pictures of the baby.
  15. Bhupinder2002

WOw congrats...Thats is good news. U are gonna add another member to MFT family would recommend in investing in a good prime like panasonic 20mm or Oly 17 mm or even panny 14mm lens rather than kit lens.I always regret that had only P&S during initial period when my daughter was born . Every pic will be worth billion dollars and u will feel much more happier.
    good luck and cheers
  16. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I was into photography when I was in my late twenties and dropped it until I became a father at age 42. It's been an obsession since then.
  17. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

My 15 year old daughter is studying photography in high school and takes a lot of snapshots of her friends with my old Lumix p&s. Well, she finally managed to wear out that camera, so I gave her my newer Lumix p&s and started looking into a replacement. I stumbled across the e-p3 and discovered that this was the digital camera I had been waiting for someone to make all these years (not wanting a big plastic DSLR and not being able to afford a Leica!). The e-p3 has rekindled the love for creative photography I had back in high school, shooting film with my fathers SLRs and developing in the school darkroom.

I think photography is a bit of a family tradition which has come full circle for me thanks to my daughter. Maybe she can have the e-p3 when the e-p4 comes out ;)
  18. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think I will be awhile off yet but I will have the gear ready for when the time arrives. Might have to go off and read a few reviews on a few girls, I need a GF yet. Any suggestions on a few good models to look for?
  19. Bhupinder2002

I wish I had a MFT or DSLR for this shot

Now this is one of my fav pics and was taken with Nokia mobile in 2007.I wish I had MFT or DSLR and I could easily print a huge poster

20. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

I was already heavy into photography before my son came along.
    As a matter of fact I met his mom at a camera store we both worked in.
    We both were avid photographers back then, she is kind of slacking now but I'm still into it.
    • Like Like x 1