1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How could I resist the store offering an EM5 body for ~$250?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dancebert, Dec 26, 2014.

1. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Travel weight was a major factor in my selecting m43, the EM10 and specific lenses. I spent less than expected this year, so I was considering the O12-40 f2.8 as a non-travel lens. Checked the online price this afternoon, then went to the local mall and found the same, 30k baht (I live in Thailand) or ~$925. Ouch, but doable. Knowing that major Thai photo retailers slashed prices before on discontinued models, I asked about the price for the EM5 & f2.8 kit.

My jaw dropped. OMG. ARE YOU KIDDDING ME! Was this the price for a demo body and lens? No Sir, 38k baht (~$1175) is the price for new-in-box with worldwide warranty. It took me a few minutes to calm down and realize I could get an EM5 body for ~$250 that was ~$800 on Adorama. I didn't need it, but of course I said yes. Actually I said 'Who hoo!". Can't believe I'm kinda looking forward to the rainy season for the photo ops.

s4-20141226_200855-1024.

Double counting takes a while because the largest note is 1k baht (~$32)

x-20141226-04616-1024.

Who first said the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys?

• Like Like x 8
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's the special edition E-M5 with the nicer finish! Man, why can't I find deals like this! Good score!

• Like Like x 1
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Always great to hear when someone finds a great deal like this! Congrats and enjoy!!

4. TucsonLawrence

TucsonLawrence Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    congrats!

Lawrence

5. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    A beautiful kit! I've always preferred the Em5 to the Em1. That lens will probably never come off of there ;)

6. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Thanks.

D'oh! Wasn't sure it was the Special Limited Elite Black Edition until reading this thread. I feel so 1% ;-)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    That is practically theft at that price!

8. sushi

sushi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Brunei
    Syukri
    I'll be going Thailand soon, where is this magical shop that you talk about?

9. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    The Hua Hin branch of the nationwide 'Big Camera' chain. The kit is not on their website, but it was on the hard copy product list in the store. It's typical for Thai retail websites to be woefully out of date. www.bigcamera.co.th

Magical? It's hard to read tone in text from people I don't know. Anyway, I almost didn't post my good fortune because I thought people might not believe it. Maybe this would help them:

em5Receipt-00006.

If you'd like, I can post the URLs for the national chains and Bangkok specialty shops I used when first shopping for m43.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    I got curious:

Dig2Home-em5F28-kit.

Digital2Home is known their low prices because cameras and lenses are often grey market, that is, have a warranty for some place other than Thailand. That's not a problem for Olympus old stock with the worldwide warranty. Also their stores are limited to Bangkok and major regional centers, so most of their purchases are shipped to customers.

11. sushi

sushi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Brunei
    Syukri
    Thanks! Yeah, texting is bad for relaying tones. I didn't mean any sarcasm, just excited to visit the shop :thumbup: