1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How comfy can a G3 fit in a cargo pants pocket? And a couple of questions about lenses

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by edme, Feb 21, 2013.

1. edme

edme Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2013
    I live out of a backpack
    Tristan
    Hi all, I'm going to be upgrading from a s95 to a m43 soon and had my mind set on the G3. My reasoning is it's smallish, has evf and is very cheap used right now. The evf is important and it seems the vf-2 costs almost the same as a second hand g3????

I keep my s95 in my cargo pants pocket and can't see any reason why I couldn't keep the g3 in there as well (w/ pancake lens), can someone confirm this is correct?

Also it seems the olympus 40-150 is ridiculously cheap right now, how annoying is the lack of IS going to be if I buy that lens? I've never owned a tele so I have no idea. tele shots aren't a huge priority of mine.

Also I was thinking about getting the panasonic 20 & 14mm lenses, though instead of the 14 I may get the olympus 14-42 because I have read that it is just as sharp as the panasonic 14 and is pretty small itself, can anyone see any problems with this reasoning?

here you can see the types of galleries I like to make: edme's albums - Imgur

I'm going to be doing a lot more travelling and making more galleries exactly like those (but better!) is my main focus.

2. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    If the size is anything similar to my old Canon S3iS...

camera-inhand.

... then I'd say it'd not be very comfy. If they're baggy it will make them sway a lot and the other way it'd probably dig into your thigh/knee.

The couple of times I did it, it generally worked/fit, but I'd usually avoid doing it for any length of time

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    With the G3 the problem is the protruding eye cup on the back, which makes it more difficult to slide in and out of anything:

g3top.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it will more difficult than with an Oly PM or Panny GX or GF-style camera, all of which unfortunately lack a built-in EVF.

• Like Like x 1
  4. edme

edme Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2013
    I live out of a backpack
    Tristan
    Thanks guys. I guess the answer is: it will fit, but it won't be comfortable.

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I would find if uncomfortable, but it's possible. I prefer carrying camera in a shoulder bag.
    you should to Panasonic lenses for zooms because they have OIS built in.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't know 'bout your specifics but I often have my E-P1+Nokton 25mm in my coat pocket. Fits also in my pants pocket ... comfort is a personal thing.

Trust me ... it's in there!

PocketCam.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. edme

edme Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2013
    I live out of a backpack
    Tristan
    Thanks all, this camera is coming with me to shoot the streets of Africa so I need to look like I have no camera at all, even that masochistic effort of yours RobWatson would be a bit too obvious.

Back to the drawing board I think, thinking about an e-pm1 again but the lack of buttons and evf would drive me insane. I could always sell it and get something else when I'm out of the danger zone. Maybe om-d prices will have come down by then.....

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The one with the 25 pictured has the equivalent of a very large lens on it. I have put the G3 in my front pants pocket without a problem. The eyecup doesn't bother me there. I think people are thinking about the lower pockets tendency to swing being the main issue. If going with the G3, I would look at either the 15, 14, or 20mm lenses (in order of smallest to largest). Here is a size comparison. Compare camera dimensions side by side

• Like Like x 1
  9. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I would think u should get epm2 or gf5 if size is an important factor for u.

I used a g3 before. It really gets in the way. Totally not pocketable n is heavier.

10. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I have always liked the G3 because of the compact dimensions which with a Pancake fitted allowed it to be carried in a large jacket pocket easily and comfortably
    However I would agree that the G3 would be too heavy and uncomfortable if placed in cargo pants pocket and you may get friction problems (chaffing)
    I would however also urge you to look at the E-PM2
    This is far more compact and lighter than the G3 and has the advantage of the latest spec sensor with better DR and low light response
    You can easily carry the VF2 or 3 seperately and quickly mount this in seconds for use
    The E-PM 2 is slightly improved with regard to control buttons compared to the EPM1 and you have IS built in
    I wouldnt have a problem recommending carrying this camera in your pocket and can vouch for the image quality
    The down side is the increased expense but as ever one's requirements will always involve some sort of compromise
    E-PM2 plus 14mm Panny Pancake make a particularly good combination