1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How cold GF! and GH1 can get?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by malabrosse, Sep 6, 2010.

1. malabrosse

malabrosse New to Mu-43

Jul 24, 2010
    Hi

My home town is montreal and here we have (not all the time but some time) temperature around -20 C (- 10 F). I wander how well our new micro four third canera could handle that... ANyone has experienced that before ? Do the LCD freeze? and the EFV?

2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi,

although the operating instruction mention 0°C to +40°C, I have been shooting with my G1 in wintery Russia at temperatures between -30°C and -40°C with no problems.

Of course, don't go for a 3Hrs walk in those circonstances (you wouldn't, would you ?) and keep the camera close to your (well protected) body (under your clothes) only to take it out for the shoot itself !

C U,
    Rafael

3. malabrosse

malabrosse New to Mu-43

Jul 24, 2010
    Thanks for the reply f6cvalkyrie

Looks like (little warm coming from the photographer I mean), those camera could operate under those circumstances. I suppose the LCD could become fragile if it stay a long time at - 20 C... By example If I let the camera in my car and it stays at that temperature all night. I suspect it will not be very good to turn it on and do intensive shooting session. Did you try something like that with yours
    f6cvalkyrie ?

4. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi,

no, I did never leave my camera in a car at night, not in summertime and certainly not in wintertime.

C U
    Rafael

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    My only recommendation is to put the camera in a plastic bag before you bring it inside to reduce condensation until the camera is up to room temperature.

6. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I took my camera up the mountains just last weekend.. seems to be working fine still.