How can you tell a native lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by JohnN, Sep 14, 2014.

1. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Hi,

Sorry but this seems a really basic question - but I was looking at the new rumour for the Olympus 40-150mm and when I clicked through the link I was that on the site it was listed as Olympus Mount - it was only when I said it would need an adapter (OM to m43) that someone pointed out that it was native, but I couldn't tell.

Whats the secret to knowing whats what or do I need a secret handshake :biggrin:

Thanks for reading.

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Anything made,produced currently by Olympus would be m4/3. I don't believe anything OM mount has been produced for years, and 4/3 mount is just new old stock.
    All m4/3 lens, as far as I know, will have the m4/3 logo on them.

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Zuiko = OM
    Zuiko Digital = 4/3
    M.Zuiko = m4/3

• Like Like x 1
  4. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    A native u4/3 lens is one that will mount to a u4/3 camera body without an adaptor. It may be manufactured by any number of makers, Olympus, Panasonic, Sigma, Tokina, Voigtlander, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Brilliant - I'll have a poke around and see if Panasonic etc have similar very easy ways to tell.

And Olympus M = M.Zuiko - cool :) 

6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Thats brilliant - thanks.

Not only does it look like it lists everything but you can see how big\small things are in a way thats easy to understand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.