1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How can I trick my G3 to sync at faster than 1/160?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jziegler, Jan 29, 2013.

1. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I have a G3, and have been working for a while with some manual flashes, strobist style. I have Cactus triggers that I use for wireless trigger most of the time. I also have an E-PL3 and Nikon D200, but I prefer the G3 for many things.

The problem is that the max sync speed is 1/160, so not so great. My D200 syncs at 1/250, and the E-PL3 is speced at the same 1/160, but with a manual flash, I can get faster. I can reliably get 1/250 with the flash on the wireless trigger, and 1/320 covers most of the frame with a flash directly in the hotshoe. The G3 is the only one of the cameras that locks the shutter speed to the max sync speed, with the others and a manual flash, I can go over the speed at my own risk. So, is there a setting that will let me experiment with syncing at a higher speed? I suspect that 1/250 will work, but have no way to try it.Thanks,
    James

2. bedarddc

bedarddc New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2013
    You can't. You are limited by how fast the shutter curtains can move. I ran into this when deciding which camera to buy, namely Panasonic or Olympus. Right now, video is the priority. My D3, D3x and D700 all sync at 1/250, and this works nicely when shooting outdoors, because I don't like stopping below f/8 (which I imagine is your problem) due to diffraction and the power of your strobes. There is high speed flash sync, but you lose flash power. The best solution when shooting outdoors is to use a neutral density filter to get down to f/8 at 1/160. Below are sites explaining curtain sync and high speed flash.
    Flash Sync Speed Explained | Action Photo School
    Hi-speed (FP) Flash Synchronization

3. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    With Hi-speed Focal Plane mode set on FL36r I can pass 1/160 shutter speed on G3 :wink: But only expensive flashes supports FP mode and flash power is decreasing rapidly.

4. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I just got a used Oly FL-50 for my G3 for this reason. ($150 on B&H). So doesn't have to be THAT expensive.

5. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Yes, but I normally am using flash off camera, so I think that means multiple units of the R versions of the Oly flashes, and that is far more expensive than the hodge-podge of old Sunpak and Vivitar flashes that I've accumulated. But not a bad solution for a single flash on camera.

bedarddc,

I do understand how the shutters work with respect to sync speed, I really just want to cheat it a little bit, like I can with other cameras. There are times that the subject being lit by flash doesn't fill the entire frame, so having one area dark wouldn't matter much. Other cameras let me do this, Panasonic won't let me do it. I've actually even wanted this inside in a sunlit room where I wanted to tone down the background more.

I'd actually think that with the smaller sensor it would be easier to make a shutter capable of a higher sync speed. Maybe for the next high-end Olympus....