How can i tell what adapter I need?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by micah_kraus, May 22, 2011.

1. micah_kraus

micah_kraus Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Micah Kraus
    Hello all,
    New guy here. I've got a couple old Sigma Spiratone lenses from my grandpa's collection and want to see if they'll attach to my GF1.
    The specific lens in question is a Sigma-XQ Macro 1:3.5 f=80-200mm

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Micah

2. As a third-party lens manufacturer, Sigma produced lens for a large variety of camera mounts. If it still has the rear lens cap it might have some letters printed on the inside which will tell you what mount it is. e.g.

C/FD = Canon FD
    P/K = Pentax K
    O/OM = Olympus OM

If not you would have to provide a clear picture of the lens mount for someone to identify it. This link is to a webpage with pictures of the most common SLR lens mounts, but unfortunately the guy needs to dial down his flash intensity because some of them are overexposed and difficult to make out.

3. micah_kraus

micah_kraus Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Micah Kraus
    Thanks Lucky. The rear lens cap says it's made for Minolta.
    Is that enough info or are there multiple Minolta mounts?

4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    That ought to do it. A picture would be nice though to confirm.

Best of all though, can you tell us what camera Gramps had? That would solve the entire mystery.

If it's what we think, you'll need an 4/3 to MD adapter. there are several of them shown in Luckypenguins post..

https://www.mu-43.com/f92/how-guide-using-adapted-lenses-12347/

• Like Like x 1
  5. micah_kraus

micah_kraus Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Micah Kraus
    The camera is a Minolta. Also discovered my wife has a Minolta slr from back in our film days. Her lenses are M mount. Same as grandpas.
    Sweet!
    Guess the next question is what is the preferred adapter brand?

6. micah_kraus

micah_kraus Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Micah Kraus
    Thanks everyone for your help. I ordered a Fotodiox adapter for Minolta lenses and Canon EOS lenses today. Amazon had a fair price.
    Can't wait for the adapters to arrive so I can play around a bit.

7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    While your waiting for your adapters, take a boo at the" how to use adapted lenses" info thread by luckypenguin, and catch a few pointers for set up and simple trouble shooting. All adapters are not created equal, and I know for sure that on the gf1 you need to set to no lens. Good luck and congrats on inheriting some family glass.