1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How can I save battery of my E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ice Dove, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Ice Dove

Ice Dove New to Mu-43

Mar 4, 2013
    ChengDu,SiChuan
    ZhengYangLi
    Although the E-M5 has an OLED screen,it can save energy,I still find my power loses so quick.
    Can I save my battery by setting my E-M5? I saw a lot settings,have you tried them. The following settings are below:
    1.close the Touch screen
    2.using M-Zoom instead of E-Zoom
    3.close the Face recognition
    4.close the Digital zoom
    finally,Can I close the OLED screen completely and only use my EVF? Can I find this setting?
    Please help me thank you :wink:

2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    How quick?

I get about 400-600 shots out of one battery, and I haven't done anything special in turning stuff off.

Buy more batteries, if you are getting this but need more. Seriously, after-market batteries from amazon or eBay are pretty good, and cheap. I bought 2 more, and get about the same out of them, maybe slightly less.

3. Ice Dove

Ice Dove New to Mu-43

Mar 4, 2013
    ChengDu,SiChuan
    ZhengYangLi
    Thank you for your advice.
    The day before yesterday. I received my package from the Olympus onlinestore. And I put my new battery into my new camera to test it. But the energy loses so quick ,after about 30 shots, the battery light turned orange and twinkle,soon,my camera shut down...

may be it is the first time I use the battery,I believe it will work better after a fully charge.

4. Stephen

Stephen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 2, 2013
    A new battery will require about 4/5 re-charges to get full capacity, they are always poor at first, and make sure the battery is flat each time before the charging, do not top up charge with a new battery.
    Stephen.

5. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    You put it in straight out of the box without charging?

If this is the case, then yes, it will have been sat on a shelf for some time, and Olympus only give it a small charge to test the camera. I can't be certain, but I'm sure the instructions tell you to give it a full charge first?

After about 3 or 4 charge cycles, it should be up to optimum performance.

6. nuno_cruz

nuno_cruz Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    Amsterdam
    Nuno Cruz
    This is not the first and it won't be the last post about OM-D battery consumption.
    My terms of comparison are my old GF1 and the battery lasted a lot more.

From what I read in the past, people where experiencing quite different battery life times, persons that took ~350 with one charge and others ~600. My conclusion is that the batteries really differ from each other and the best solution is always to get one more.

7. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    The best way to save battery: buy 1 or 2 new OEM good battery for OM-D ( on ebay ). I did it and do not waste time for it :D. Something you can do to improve battery:

- Reduce EVF brightness

- Use Super Control Setting. You could also do not use this if you need touch to select focus point.

- Reduce time you haft press shutter button.

Some other things but I think it not worth to do.

8. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Isnt it good to fully charge the battery first time, then drain it 100% before charging again?
    I do that anyway, and i´ve got 1800 pics from two original batterys a few weeks agoe, and it was a few degrees below zero also.

9. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I always fully charge when the battery is new then I use it till it dies, after that I let the batteries fully deplete once a month. I don't remember who exactly told me to do so, but it seems to work for me, or at least the placebo effect makes me feel better ;)

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You should NEVER drain lithium-ion batteries 100% (the camera stops working around 5% charge).

If you actually manage to drain the battery 100% odds are it will never accept a charge again.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Here is an interesting read for how your battery works and what you can do.

Battery University

• Like Like x 1