How can I fix this photo?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by monchan, Apr 11, 2016.

1. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    I took this photo, of my twins first day at school. This is my favourite and my girl had
    her hat on backwards and you can see the tag. I want to print it an put it on the wall,
    but the wifey says the tag bothers her (never knew she could see details till now, shock)
    Have tried in LR heal/clone but couldn`t get good results and I dont have PS.
    Any suggestions? TranscodedWallpaper.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yikes. Not an easy one, too close to the all important eye. I'd be leaning on the content aware tools in PS. I'd also try doing a copy, mirror transform, rotate and replace of the label area with the equivalent area from the other side, with some feathered healing/clone brush to blend it in. PS would my tool of choice but something like GIMP could probably do it too.

4. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Sample -> Brush Paint, Sample -> Brush Paint, repeat until satisfying
    Do you have a RAW File? If so shoot it via PM and i'll see what i can do ;-)

Here's a really really rough preview (3minutes of work (edge was ignored for now and didn't use my drawing tablet :p)):
    863f51caf60c98b17aa47168096aa751.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Thanks Alex. I do have the raw file, if you don`t mind doing that that would be great.
    Did you do that in PS?

6. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Yes, Photoshop CS6 using the brush tool sampling colours from the original picture ;)
    Feel free to send the RAW File over (if you made adjustments to the RAW file's settings (shadows/highlights/blacks/whites and all that) add them so i can apply them before starting to paint (or send me a .xmp configuration file as well))
    I won't be able to get to this until this evening though

7. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    If you use the paint brush instead of clone stamp, you might have to add noise/texture to match the surroundings.

...adding: I think removing the extra bit of shadow will be the hard part.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't want to seem insensitive here, but why not just reshoot? You should have easy access to the kids, camera and clothes. And to be honest, the lighting is somewhat poor in this shot anyway. Plan a nice evening golden hour shoot and pay attention to the details and come back with something that doesn't need painful retouching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I'm with the OP. It's a good enough shot to be worth a little effort. In addition to fixing the tag, I'd fix the spot of sunlight on her chin, crop the shot square, and add some subtle vignette to draw the viewer's eye to the center. I'd also fiddle with trying to increase the saturation in the cherry blossoms, but I'm not so good with masking so that effort probably wouldn't work out.

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Here's Gidget's excellent edit with a square crop and a little bit of vignette. Not to compete, hers is fine. I just wanted to see what the crop in my mind's eye looked like. It's probably a complete matter of taste whether people prefer the original crop, which suggests the rule of thirds, or the square one.

(If I continued to work on it, I'd add a slight gradient from the left side to lighten up the exposure on the little girl's face. to be closer to the boy's.)

• Like Like x 2
  11. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    re-shoot is out of the question. first day of school+ cherry blossoms is a hard thing
    to do. Blossoms here for only a week or so, mostly bad weather too. I work evenings and they are at school in the mornings.
    But yeah on my next day off weather permitting I will take them somewhere for golden hour.

Gidget thats beautiful what you did, think thats good enough for me.
    thanks all.

12. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Some unsolicited advice, make sure you save the original, once you've gotten the photo "Fixed". The original is a more accurate portrait of your daughter at this age than the fixed one. It reflects more accurately how she is at this age than the fixed photo. As she grows up, and THIS child inevitably becomes just a memory, that imperfect photo will become more dear to you.

My daughter is now grown with children of her own, but the photos of her I love the most are the ones that reflected her personality as she once was.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. NY Gadget Guy

NY Gadget Guy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2016
    Here's a crack at it with Zoner Photo Studio 18.
    Twins-tweak.
    Used the magnetic lasso to select the tag and used "Fill With Surroundings" (Shift+Delete).

Can probably clean it up a bit more with "Healing Brush".

• Like Like x 1
  14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Cherry blossoms bloom but once a year, and the flowers usually last less than a week, sometimes only a few days. They certainly won't look as good as in the original shot unless you wanted to wait another year.

15. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

No, but you DID remove the evidence that this girl was at a point in her life where things like "front", "Back", "label in her eyes" was irrelevant to her. My post wasn't a criticism of you, or what you did. Merely a comment that in time, the OP and his wife will value different things in their photos.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Gidget

Gidget Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    Whatever floats your boat, u can see a itsy bit more of her face in the PP or 'Fixed' version.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

17. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Here's my slightly irrelevant $0.05: this is a respectable forum full of great people, professionals and amateurs alike, but in general, asking the public how to fix a photo can lead to unexpected results, vide Photoshop Troll :)

18. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Any post can lead to unexpected results, you see it everyday on any number of forums. Things get taken the wrong way, thinks don`t come out
    or read the way people think.. Sounds like you think it`s my fault for a bit of tension in this post? Dunno, maybe thats not what you are trying to say?
    sounds a little like it though. This is the image processing thread after all, where is the harm if someone is willing to give a bit of time for someone without the ability
    or a suitable program?

I appreciate everyones helpfulnes and kindness and for doing your thing to my photo.
    @Gidget@Gidget I love what you did to that photo, I think its much better for printing and putting on my wall.

I can also get where GBarrington is coming from. The unedited photo has the houses and the river.
    My 20 years from now looking at our photos with the the kids, if we see the edited version we go "Wow thats a nice photo"
    Or with the unedited version we might go" I remember going there every year to see the cherry blossoms down by Fukuro River they were good times"

The photo is special to me because my son is not acting the goat like he usually does. They both turned around and I snapped the shot
    and they both just have honest smiles, smiles without me saying/ begging them to smile.

Cheers all.

• Like Like x 4
  19. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I did not see any tension or fault there, and by no means was I referring to you or your abilities. This is the right forum and this is what these threads are for. I was only trying to refer to an Internet phenomenon which is quite amusing (to me), that was it and that was all, I'm sorry if you felt this was directed to you. Good luck with the picture. As I stated, my post was irrelevant.

20. Bill R

Bill R Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 25, 2016
    Twins-tweak inverse exposure bw. Twins-tweak inverse exposure. For fun, I isolated the twins...inverse selection and tweaked the exposure a bit. Then for a different perspective...converted to black/white and tweaked the red a bit. Using PS.

It is evident that all the responders enjoy a little photographic needle point (post processing).