1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

how can i avoid this problem?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by homerusan, Mar 19, 2013.

1. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    i shot this image with 10 stop b&w nd filter
    i think it is lens flare.
    how can i avoid this problem around the sun?

B6Kd3Ip.

2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, you've got two different things going on here.

The first, the white sort of starburst effect around the sun is going to happen with any lens and is fairly natural looking. I'm guessing you aren't concerned with that.

The second, the pattern of red dots around the sun is caused by sensor reflections. The degree to which it occurs varies from camera to camera, but if I remember correctly the E-PL2 you are using is particularly susceptible to it. It has appeared in various cameras from various manufacturers and can also depend on the lens used. I'm afraid there isn't a good way to combat it when the sun is in the frame - though hopefully someone with more direct experience can give you more information.

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    kwalsh,
    How did you know that the epl2 was susceptible to this and what other Oly's are susceptible?

Thanks,

4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sure looks like reflections from a microlens array (I'm not saying that is what it is).

All kinds of stuff happens when shooting super bright objects! How about putting a flag to block the sun?

5. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I remembered all the hub-bub about it when that camera came out. Around the same time a similar thing was occurring with some other cameras (a Sony compact maybe?). Anyway, a quick Google search showed the epl2 was one that was susceptible. Search for "red spot" or "red dot" to find more.

Ken

6. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
  7. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    Thanks alot for answers.
    i love this forum:)