1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How bod is the image stabilisation lack on the body?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dede, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    So as we all know the Pansonic Cameras have no image stabilisation in the body, but only in (some) lenses. So my question is now, how bad this lack is? I mean, I don't have stabilisation of pancake lenses then, right? If this lack wouldn't really make a difference I would buy the GF3 rather then the Olympus E-PM1 but if it would be very bad, the other way round.

Thanks in advance

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    That has been the subject of some debate lately. Some people think stabilization is not that big a deal, handy to have but not critical. For others (like myself), it's very nearly a make or break thing. The vast majority of cameras have lens based stabilization and everyone seems to get along just fine. I find it really useful that nearly any lens can be stabilized, though. Especially since the PM1 with kit lens is quite a bit smaller than the current Panasonic 14-42. These smaller cameras are also more difficult to hold steady, since you don't have a viewfinder or much of a body to brace against.

3. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Well, I'm not sure wether this difference is worth like 90 bucks more, what would you say?

Edit: Im very interested in the upcoming 14-42 Panasonic X lens, this one is lens stabilised, right? But that means that I could still turn the Olympus body stabilisation off, and just use the X lens too, right?

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Image stabilization doesn't stop subject motion, only camera shake. There's a lot of things it doesn't help with, but some things it does. It will allow you to hand-hold at much slower shutter speeds, but you can also sacrifice other things (ie, bump up the ISO) or get a wider aperture lens to avoid those lower shutter speeds. Image Stabilization is a relatively new thing and we have been shooting great photographs for a long, long time without it. It's a very nice bonus to have though, and is one of the boons of this modern age.

Nobody can say IS is "essential", but only you can say how its importance lies in your purchase decision. What you should be answering first is what about the E-PM1 do you not like, and what about the GF-3 do you like that would prompt you to choose the GF-3 over the E-PM1 if not for Image Stabilization? Only after you answer that can we even begin to make any suggestions on whether or not IS is more important than those factors or not.

5. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    It's so difficult to decide :) I think I'll go with the E-PM1 though, because it has a attachable viewfinder and image stabilisation in body. ... I'm still wondering about this X lens, would this work good with the Olympus E-PM1?`And which stabilisation should I turn off then, the Olympus one or the one from the lens?

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Don't forget also that the GF-3 also has no hotshoe, so you can't mount or trigger any normal flash or strobes. Nor can you mount an external mic adapter for video. Both of these can be done with the E-PM1. ;)

Yes, the X lens will work on your E-PM1. Optical stabilization has the advantage of a stabilized view during composition (IBIS only activates when the shutter is released), and tends to have a slight edge at super-telephoto lengths. The advantages of IBIS are that it works with every lens attached and saves you space and money. The fact that it works with every lens attached though, also makes it more convenient, whereas the difference in performance is nearly non-existent.

So I would use OIS if you're struggling with the image moving too much during focus and composition, or if you're only using one lens and really don't ever switch. I would just use IBIS for convenience if using multiple lenses, as turning it on and off all the time can be a pain.

If I remember though, I don't think the X lenses have a switch for the OIS. I think it automatically shuts off one or the other on its own without any choice by the user, but I can't remember how it works.

7. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
  8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    As I understand, the X lens mounted on an Olympus body automatically defaults to no stabilization. What I have not been able to confirm is if oly's IBIS works with the X lens. Maybe someone else can confirm or negate it's compatibility with oly bodies.

9. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Well, do you guys think wether the quality of the X lenses is way better than the other lenses from Olympus (like the 14-42 one)?

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Lots of them. :) The X lens is made for compactness and automation, like a point-and-shoot telescopic lens. It's not the height of image quality, and they are very slow lenses to boot. :) If you want some good lenses for quality and speed, get some primes like the m.Zuiko 12mm f/2, Lumix 20mm f/1.7 pancake, Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux, Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Nokton, m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, or Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit. These lenses are not only compact, but also sharp and fast. Nothing about the current X lenses (although the rumor is for some fast zooms down the road) screams quality. It all screams "fully automated point-and-shoot lens for a system camera body". Lack of rings and controls certainly doesn't help.

11. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Alright, that sounds all pretty good, im ordering the E-PM1 now, thanks. Btw, which color do you all think looks the best on E-PM1? Im thinking brown or silver ....

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If the silver were like the original E-P1 brushed steel silver, that was an awesome finish. I think the E-PM1 silver is cheap looking though... I'd probably go with the brown.

• Like Like x 1