1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How big do you like your cameras?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Assuming that all of our cameras had top of the line sensors and all the other features that you could want plus sensible controls, how big do you like your cameras?

I'm personally not sure. I've got my pre-order placed for the E-M5, which is no huge camera. However, the combination of an E-PL3 with 45/1.8 and GF3 with 14/2.5 is very appealing to me for the amazing portability (dual body-lens kit which can slip into two coat pockets) and will be all the more appealing when those two are replaced by an E-PL5 and GF5, respectively.

2. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    My E P3 is about perfect, but often appreciate the size of my E PM1.
    Of course the features of the E P3 have a lot to do with it.
    The Mini is almost like havibg a sophisticated P&S.
    I guess both fill a niche for me.
    I know it may be heresy, but the EM 5 doesn't appeal to me as much as the form factor of the Pens.
    That could change after I actually see one.

3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

It's an interesting question. I'm not sure either. It's something I'm still working out. I know for sure that my Nikon D3 and it's f2.8 L lenses were too big and heavy. But then I used to shoot 4 x 5 large format. But it was just a different sort of photography. Everything had to be planned out and if you got a dozen keepers in a year you were happy.

Nowadays I like to shoot birds and wildlife and I don't want to lug a big camera. I have big gnarled hands however and my EP3 is a bit cramped. Getting the EM5 and the add-on grip is my next experiment. I'm hoping it will be my Goldilocks camera. Just right. :2thumbs:

4. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I love my GH2 for handling. I briefly had a GF1 and I found it to be too small to be comfortable to use, and too big for the "smallness" to be useful. I'm very interested to hold a E-M5, hoping it's not too small for my tastes :)

5. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Definitely bigger. Something like the F5 (which I still shoot) and the D4 that I handled at CES are perfect. The GH series, and I'm hoping the E-M5 with the grip, are a good compromise in size vs. portability. The PENs and the newer G and GF series are simply too small, as are the NEX models. I handled the NEX 7 at CES, and it wasn't actually all that bad. The X1 Pro was decent size also.

6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I'm no help because I like the flexibility of both form factors. There are times when I desire a larger GH2-like size to balance a heavy lens such as my CV 25mm, f/095. Then there are other times when the GF1 & 20mm is such a welcomed combination. I have no desire to go smaller than the GX1 and no larger (appreciably) than the OM-D EM-5 with the grip.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I like the bigger m43 cameras...the smaller ones are just too small....good enough for snaps and stuff. I wan it to be big enough so my hands don't cramp up and there's room enough for physical manual buttons and stuff. DSLRs are not too heavy....they're just too big. The GH series is fine and feel great in the hand...... I love the PENs (E-P1-3)....they're small enough AND big enough. The gf1 was nice......the 2 and 3 are too small. Most of the m43 cameras are in the sweet spot for me....except the ones that TRY to be small.

If they would make a cheaper bigger bodied NEX, I'd probably try that, but they seem focused and tiny bodies. I could barely hold it in a store when I tried it out....I understand the 7 is bigger, but probably not by enough....and I'd only likely use it for manual focus lenses...so I just want a big, cheap digital back.

8. Squidz

Squidz Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Red Deer, Alberta
    I definitely prefer smaller from a dSLR context, but I don't feel GX1 and E-P3 are in the same category as a G3 or GF2. Either way, I voted larger cause I really like my GX1 and the E-P3 felt good too.

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a bunch of Nikon DSLRs for work. I prefer smaller for my M43 kit! Love my E-PM1!

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    As much as I WANT to be able to say I prefer the groovy cool PENs over the more conventional mini-DSLR style cameras I just don't. After sampling a number of each I prefer my G2 over every compact form factor PEN and GF series I have ever owned. I find it more waaaaaaay comfortable and pleasant to shoot with.

The only cameras that I'd step up to at the moment (in m43 land) are the OMD or the GH2. If I had to choose between those two today I MIGHT favor the GH2 simply because it would be more familiar. The OMD is very attractive but I'd like to see how its received after it gets into folks hands.

11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I think there's room for both types of cameras in my kit. In general, the larger size of cameras like the G3, GH2 and E-M5 provide greater flexibility in terms of balance with lenses and better handling as well. And these cameras are still smaller and lighter than most traditional DSLRs. That's why I voted for them above. But a camera like the E-PM1 is always handy, which is why it has generally replaced compact point and shoots for me - especially when I can put the Panasonc 14mm pancake on it.

12. One of each please, with the caveat being that the smaller body should still have a decent finger grip like the E-PL1. The GF1 was the worst handling m4/3 camera I have tried because the metal body was as slippery as a bar of soap and offered nothing to grip onto. I like the idea of the E-PL3 or E-PM1 but I'd be adding a flipbac grip real quick. For the larger body, the GH1 is truly brilliant for the way it can be operated one-handed with the articulated screen in portrait or landscape orientation, thumb on shutter button and forefinger operating the control wheel.

However for pure ergonomics and control placement, I can't say that I prefer a Micro 4/3 camera to a Canon 50D/5D.

13. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Love my E-P1 form-factor and my recent E-PM1 purchase was financially driven rather than functional. Plus the E-PM1 provides an excellent compact P&S alternative when I'm out night shooting.

Having said that, a recent Nikon F100 purchase and using an OM2 with a winder has really made me appreciate a chunkier form-factor (maybe its the ability to hide my face behind the body and lens!)

My next purchase will definitely be an SLR style Panasonic Gx or Oly OM-D series body.

14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    No option for both?

Gordon

15. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    i'd say it depends on which lens is on which body...

the gx1, e-pl2 or e-p3 are ok when i am using pancakes, m4/3 primes and
    kit zooms. but when i uses the 4/3 1442 or 1454, it is the g2 that i find most
    balanced and comfortable.

16. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    G3 is already very comfortable for me. It makes me wonder why not go for DSLR if GH2 is the minimal size for some people.

In any case, I voted for E-PL3, E-PM1, GF2, GF3, etc, since my reason of buying a mirrorless camera is for the compact size.
    Having that said, my first m43 is a G3 though (rather than GF2).

17. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    either, so long as it has a decent grip(like franiec, or the larger ep3 grip)
    no bigger than an m9/xpro1

18. Easy: size and weight of lenses and optimisation for live view operation. The GH cameras are still smaller than an eqivalent DSLR, and have less of the ergonomic compromises found on the smaller mirrorless camera bodies.

19. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I gotta say I'm really surprised by these results! I picked smaller, as that was the entire reason I opted for m4/3s instead of a DSLR. For those of you that prefer a larger camera, couldn't you get better, cheaper image quality with small DSLR?

20. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    As small and light as possible - certainly no bigger than the e-pm1!