How bad -is- the 17mm f2.8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Superstriker#8, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Is the 17mm f2.8 really that bad? Comments and opinions, please!

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I have the 17mm f2.8 and quite like it and it's been my most used m4/3s lens since I got it, it basically lived on the E-P1. It may not be at the pinnacle of optical perfection, but it takes a pretty good picture. I honestly believe that it's a grossly underrated lens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I'd have to agree with OzRay. While I don't have that lens, I've seen plenty of great shots taken with it. I think it would be a good pancake to have in your arsenal covering that FL. Recently picked up the 17 f/1.8 but I doubt my shots are any better than they would be with the 2.8 - just maybe more useful in some lower light situations.

5. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    I'll take that as a joke, seeing as the pictures underneath it are great.

Edited, (because I didn't want to add another post): I think this is anther instance of needing to just go out and shoot, instead of worrying about technical qualities.

• Like Like x 2
  6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Indeed. I have the horrible 18-180mm 4/3 lens and it's been on my E-5 more than the others because of it's versatility. It might be rubbish, but seems to take reasonable photos.

7. It's not a bad lens, but technically it's not a great lens.

8. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm another fan of the lens. I think some of its bad rep comes from being compared directly with the panny 20 - and in a technical sense it does come up short. But I bought the 17 2.8 after I already had the 20 and I immediately developed an affection for it. I personally like the FOV of the 17 - if I have to use one lens, that's my choice. It is also the most compact of all the lenses except for the P 14 - but they're pretty close to the same size. I keep it on my PM1 and it makes a very compact kit. I now have the 17 1.8 and I have to admit that I use it most of the time. The extra two stops or so make it more flexible. But I sometimes wonder if the 2.8 doesn't have a little more character than the newer lens. I think that if you don't need to know that every shot you take possesses maximal sharpness - it's a great lens. It also focuses a little faster than than the P20 - but not as fast as the 17 1.8 . . . .

9. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It isn't bad, I just found other lenses better. The 14mm 2.5 or the Sigma 19mm 2.8 can be had for around the same price. Unless you really like a pancake 34mm equivalent you are better off with the 28mm pancake or the 38mm non-pancake.

And if you have a bigger budget, the 17mm 1.8 and 20mm 1.7 are better lenses. And soon we'll have the 15mm 1.7..

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you really want that 34mm EFL, and like the size, the look, or really need exactly 1 extra stop of light, it's okay. For focusing speed and optical quality, the kit lenses are better. If you can live with 28mm, the 14/2.5 is better and faster focusing. If you do go with the 17/2.8, make sure to get it secondhand. You'll avoid a lot of depreciation.

11. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    It's not horrible. Not the best lens ever either. Check out the sample image thread and see for yourself.

• Like Like x 2
  12. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    It sits on my e-pm2, fits in a pocket and takes great pictures ... I like it, this is SOC

P2160002r.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    It's not really bad; it's just not up to the high standards of other lenses in the lineup. I had it for a while and took some of my favorite pictures with it, and it was a great complement to a tiny kit (which is how I used it, with a PM2). It's not the sharpest lens, but for most things that really doesn't matter. The great pics posted already attest to that.

Now, however, that I own the Panny 12-32mm I don't think I'd buy it again. The 12-32mm is quite an amazing lens, especially wide open, and you only sacrifice a tiny bit of speed. And the 12-32mm is only 2mm longer than the prime. So unless you have a strong preference of primes, or really value that 1/2 stop, or don't like collapsing lens designs, or really like to MF, I think the 12-32mm wins on all counts over the 17mm.

14. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It was my first m43 lens ... sold it. Missed it so much I bought another. Gets used quite a bit. So easy to slap it on and drop the camera into my pocket and go.

15. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    It's a nice little lens, I've no complaints about it, focuses ok, build quality is ok, but most importantly I found I could take nice photo's with it.

12161037166_805965051f_b.jpg
    Here comes the sun by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  16. (Excluding the obvious BCL and 3d ones) I don't believe there is a terrible/bad lens in the micro 4/3rds system.. this incudes kit lenses. Could be seen as an indication of how commited Olympus and Panasonic are to the system. However, I wouldn't say that all the micro 4/3rds lenses are outstanding. From my experience the 14mm f/2.5 is another one that falls in this category.

17. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have done the exact same thing, it may not be perfect but then perfection is over rated any way, its a nice small 35mm equivalent and as I went out today with the 14mm and found it too wide as a walk around but the 17 is the next best thing to a 25.

18. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    It's a good little lens, good value, nice and small. I like mine. If you want extra speed, better build and a bit more sharpness the 17 f1.8 is terrific.

19. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Great as compact lens. I use it all the time.

20. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    I like mine, it's kinda cutesy and small which means I can fit the E-PL5 in my pocket with it attached. There's not much wrong with it that Photoshop can't put right, it's a good little "walk about" lens. Best thing about it - it was free! :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.