1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How are you protecting the OMD screen

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dave, Feb 27, 2013.

1. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    Hey guys, just wondering, how are you protecting your OMD's screen, i know their are screen protectors for keeping scratches and smudges off ECT. im looking for something a little more durable, I like to use the black rapid sling strap and when i go walking through the woods and such and it scares the crap out of me having the OMD's large screen swinging on my side like that. When i had panny cameras i just fliped the LCD around i dont usually use it anyway however this isnt an option on the OMD, sooo has anyone come up with a protection for the screen yet? i was thinking it would be nice to have a solid plastic protector like i had on my D90 screen but i cant seem to find anything like that avalable, any suggestions ?

2. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I am not protecting it. By the time I am done with it the resale value will be so low that I will not worry about the screen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    True to a point, and im not real worried about scuffs and stuff like that, what im worried about is those shattered LCD screens pictures i see from time to time on the OMD lol. I would just like to stop that from happening if possible lol.

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Don't know why Olympus was stupid about choosing an E-330 style articulating screen instead of the swivel screen like the E-3/E-5 had.

5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    +1

Good glass screen like an iPhone or what not. Scratches shouldn't be much of an issue and impacts that shatter it are the main worries. But I'm just not that worried about that. If it breaks, I use the viewfinder until I get it fixed.

6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I never use screen protectors. None of my devices have them.

I've decided long ago that instead of having a film or plastic plate in front of my screens, I will just use them till they die. I've never regretted this decision.

Don't be an idiot with your stuff and you should be fine. By the time that screen scratches up beyond usable the body is going to be worth a fraction of the MSRP.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I won't say I am rough with my equipment, rather I don't give it much thought when shooting. I have film over the LCD because it's easy and why not. I will be getting glass when I get around to it. I don't sell my equipment, so the protection isn't about maintaining resale value. It's simply I 'd rather have an unscratched LCD than a scratched LCD and it takes very little effort for that to happen.

Gary

8. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    If you put a glass protector over the touch screen it will no longer be a touch screen -- just FYI.

9. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    I'm not hard on my gear by any means and im not so much worried about cosmetics or resale value. However with the sling strap i noticed last year that when i would say go to bend down to look at something or another situation similar to that if i wasnt always carful the camera could swing. really just looking for breakage protection if their is any. Thanks for all the replies most of you do the same as i usually do and eigther a film or nothing on the screen, just a little more causious with the OMD screen because of the broken screen images ive seen lol im sure those are extreame examples though too. thanks again

10. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    They make a glass screen protector for OMD ? where would i find one of those if they do ?

11. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Then how does my iPad continue to work?.

12. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I much prefer the popup screen of my OM-D to the swing out,off-axis one on my G3.

• Like Like x 1
  13. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Scott
    I also do not use any screen protection. When I throw my camera in my bag, I often drape it or wrap it with a microfiber cloth, but otherwise I don't use anything. It seems like most screens are pretty durable and I have never had any issues with phones, tablets, or cameras.

14. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    The recent iPad glass touch screens are capacitive rather than resistive, so it is built into the glass screen "system".

Instead of needing to be driven by finger pressure, a charge extends out just beyond the glass screen and detects the change when your conductive fingertip comes into contact with it. This is why it doesn't work with gloves, however hard you press!!, well only with those conductive fingertip gloves.

I believe the EM-5 also uses a capacitive glass touch screen. Depending on the glass screen protector thickness, and if it does not contain any shielding material, it could possibly still work if the charge still extends that far.

I don't know for certain, though, as my EM-5 screen is naked. I tried a couple of plastic film screen protectors when I got it, and they affected the clarity of the image so much, I went back to not using one.

15. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I put a screen protector like a MicroSolutions proGuard film or similar on all my cameras. Not worried about screen breaking too much-I expect cameras will have very little resale value in several years. A couple weeks ago I was walking around with my E-Pl5 wearing a heavy wool coat and screen protector managed to get pretty scratched up - would've been pissed if screen itself got all scratched up so soon in its life cycle,

16. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Sums it up for me also

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Nope, it's that magical glass that you can touch through, sorta like a semi-permeable membrane, you finger can go through it but other stuff can't.

18. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Lol! Harry Potter magic is alive after all.

19. vcs700s

vcs700s Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    Same here.

20. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    But with the swing out screen you can flip it around 180 degrees to protect it in the case...that was one of my favourite things on the E-3, and was very much disappointed when the E-M5 came with an always-exposed articulated screen!