How are you customizing your G3?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by itamarst, Jul 30, 2011.

1. itamarst

itamarst New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2011
    My new body-only G3 arrived a few days ago from Panasonic Direct, and I've been playing around with settings and ergonomics. So far I like it a lot, we'll see what it's like when I start taking pictures (SD card is still in transit since Panasonic Direct didn't bother to tell me they were shipping).

The amount of customization is impressive (e.g. you can set shutter to *not* AF lock) but sometimes I feel like I want just a bit more. Say, let me override what the ISO button does - with auto ISO on by default, reverting to Quick menu might be sufficient, and then I could use it for something else.

There's a lot of obscure features: LONG SHTR NR which removes noise from long exposures somehow, SHADING COMP.
    which seems to be anti-vignetting processing of some sort for supported lenses, I.RESOLUTION and I.DYNAMIC... Auto ISO can be limited to increments of 1EV or 1/3EV (why would you ever want 1EV?)...

How are you customizing your G3?
  2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'll let you know when I get it ;) But I'd like thumb button foucs along w/ an ae lock button.

When did you order yours?
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't have a G3, but this is the first thing I set on all my Olympus cameras, to use the back-button to set Auto Focus instead of the shutter release button. This was actually a Canon invention. ;)
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Long shutter noise reduction takes a "black field" exposure of the same shutter duration as the image, and then subtracts them to eliminate the noise caused by heating of the sensor. It was in the first generation cameras.

There are a couple threads already on I.resolution and I.dynamic - they are relatively new

You would want 1 EV because the 1/3 stops are interpolated and can cause noise.
  5. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Fn1 button set for Meter Pattern,
    Fn2 for AE/Lock.

The Touch Screen has a display change button, so Fn1 for the meter pattern is used not to much, but, I use AE/Lock a lot more, in any meter mode. I use it 100% of the time for spot metering.

If I know I am going to an area that I will be [inside and outside], like at a 1900 period town amusement area, I put on the Auto ISO to ISO 1600. I use "A" mode, so it chooses the a lower ISO than in "P" mode. But, ISO 1600 is very clean, and have no fear... some noise does creap in, but it is minimal, and easily handled in any decent NR software... NOT Silkpix SE though No no no.....
    I use Noiseware Pro 4 by Imagenomic.... very good at keeping fine detail...
    Also Capture One 6 Express 6.2.2 has a default Noise Reduction that is very good also with RW2 files. (Yes, they have had a RAW update for about a week now... for all Capture One 6 packages. Check it through the software help drop down).

I haven't tried the iD, or iR yet... though...