How am I stopping down past 5.6 on M.Zuiko 9-18?

Real Name
Melissa
My title says it all. I'm curious how I'm able to stop down on my E-M5 using my adapted M.Zuiko 9-18/f.4-5.6. Shouldn't I only be able to go to 5.6? I've been able to stop down to f8, f9, f11. How is this possible, or am I clueless as to what 1:4-5.6 means?

verbatimium

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Martin
F4-5.6 means that at the widest focal length (9mm) the minimum aperture can be F4, while at the longest focal length (18mm), the minimum aperture can be F5.6. However, you can stop down to F8, F9, F11, etc on any focal length you set the lens to. The values that are listed on the lens such as F4-5.6 just means that minimum aperture you can set at the focal length range of the lens.

Real Name
Melissa
F4-5.6 means that at the widest focal length (9mm) the minimum aperture can be F4, while at the longest focal length (18mm), the minimum aperture can be F5.6. However, you can stop down to F8, F9, F11, etc on any focal length you set the lens to. The values that are listed on the lens such as F4-5.6 just means that minimum aperture you can set at the focal length range of the lens.
See, I knew I was missing something--and have displayed how much I still have to learn. :redface:

verbatimium

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Martin
For prime lenses such as the Olympus 17mm F1.8, you only normally see 1 aperture value (F1.8 in this case). It also follows the same designation as the F value stated only specifies the minimum F value or the widest you can set the aperture, but you can always stop it down from F1.8 all the way to F22.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom