1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How about to sell Oly 17 1.8 for Oly pro 7-14 2.8 ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by PantelisMor, Aug 4, 2016.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello.
    Until now i have 3 lenses.
    Oly 12-40 2.8
    Oly 40-150 2.8 and oly 17mm 1.8.

I think to sell oly 17mm in order to use the money for the oly 7-14 2.8.

What do you believe is the right choice ? Or it's better to delay this purchase for later ?

2. dlotters

dlotters New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2015
    You have the exact same lenses as me. I also crave the 7-14 2.8!

Selling the prime definitely won't fund the 7-14mm in entirety, maybe only a third of the cost but I guess the bigger question is how much would you miss the prime?

If you don't use it then yeah, no point keeping it around just to gather dust.

I find I use my 17 1.8 quite often because i love how easy it is as a walk about lens coupled with the em-5ii. I also prefer it at night to the 12-40 2.8.

I also use the 12-40 very often but I value it for different reasons to the 17mm prime.

If it were me, I'd keep the prime and save a little longer for the 7-14, especially since it isn't going to fund much of the purchase anyway.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    If you don't mind the size, the versatility and quality of the zoom may well warrant that decision. For me, the 17mm has a specific use in street/quick documentary because it's small, fast, reasonably sturdy and light whle providing pleasant results - but it's nor real match to the 12-40mm when it comes to technical IQ. And a triple of the great PRO zooms is something to dream of for sure. If you don't use the 17mm because the 12-40mm does what you need, there's no real reason to keep it around. If, however, you own that prime to go small and still versatile (that's what I do quite often), then the 17mm is a great asset. But since the 7-14mm is one of the most desirable options to go ultrawide for :mu43:, if that's what you're after, your decision should be quite simple.

I thought about selling the 17mm a couple of times because I use a couple of other lenses more often (the 12-40mm, the Olympus 25mm, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4), but it's such a nice lens to use that I decided to simply keep it around; besides, it makes a perfect companion to my E-PL7.

M.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    What the others have said.

I've got the 3 PRO zooms plus the Olympus 12, 17 (both), 25, 45 and 75 primes. When it comes to what I shoot and how fast a lens I need I could probably sell the primes and only miss them rarely but walking around with a prime on the camera is a different shooting experience to walking around with a zoom and it's an experience I enjoy so I keep the primes and use whatever I want to use at the time. The PRO zooms are great lenses and I enjoy using them a lot, in fact I do most of my shooting with them, but shooting with the primes is enjoyable in a different sort of way and the zooms aren't a substitute for that.

I'd only sell the 17mm if the 12-40 offered a complete replacement for it to me and it isn't that complete replacement for me. It may be a complete replacement for you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I can't imagine two lenses more different. One is a small, light, fast wide-normal lens that is ideal for casual and discreet use in street photography and general purpose use. The other is a big, heavy, UWA zoom that is probably best suited for hard-core landscape use, architecture and such like. I can't see how you can really compare them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jonnieb

Jonnieb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Jon Barnett
    I have the same lens package, and feel exactly the same about keeping the primes. Just a different experience on the camera.

7. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I used to shoot with the µ43s' 8mm FE, 15mm, 25mm, 42.5mm, 60mm macro, and 75mm primes with excellent results. I acquired the 12-40mm PRO zoom first and I soon realized I was neglecting the 15mm, 25mm, and 42.5mm entirely and using the 12-40mm Pro exclusively. Over the past year I've been fortunately able to acquire the 7-14mm PRO and 40-150mm PRO zooms and have stopped shooting with my primes except for the 60mm macro. So I've sort of went in a different direction from you. I'm not saying my zooms are better just that I can't afford to keep top dollar primes and zooms at the same time and that as I get older I'm less inclined to think about primes in shooting images and think in terms of which zoom I might want for a photographic idea. Of course if I ever win the lottery I'd have every µ43s' lens ever made! :cloud-9-039:
    PS, yes I sold my primes to fund the zooms.

• Like Like x 2
  8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bobby,

I didn't win a lottery but I was fortunate enough to have no need to sell any of my primes. I don't have every µ43 lens ever made but I've got a few more than you because I managed to hang onto my primes. I think that's the only real difference between us judging from your comment. As for what I'm less inclined to do as I get older, I turn 69 next month and I'm increasingly less inclined to go out packing two or three primes if I can take one zoom. Age is making me far more inclined to appreciate convenience over a lot of other things in a lot of areas of my life including photography. Like you, I found the 12-40 to be a habit changing purchase.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015

I'm waiting for the release of the new EM-1 before I plunge into the PRO lenses, starting with the 12-40mm. I don't think I'd bother getting rid of my primes, however.

10. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Save a little while longer, and keep the 1.8!

11. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The 12-40 is the start of a slippery slope to using only zooms; beware! :biggrin::biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Agree with one exception, can't do without that 60mm Macro!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    Sadly, no, unless I win the lottery. If I can get the shots I want with cheaper stuff, I have to settle for that. I get that these particular series of zooms are proportionally cheaper than their FF counterparts, but I I still can't justify buying them all. Especially the 300mm which is such a niche lens.

14. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    buy the 7-14 first then sell the 17mm...