1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How about this camera?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by WT21, Nov 1, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Too cool! A great gift idea.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    That a very interesting camera. How old is your daughter? Is she interested in photography?

For me, I have a problem with a pinhole as a starter camera because it is a one trick pony and after awhile will lose its appeal. If your daughter is interested in photography and hasn't a camera already and you want to dive into film then get her a 35mm SLR and toss into the kit a pinhole lens. If she has a decent camera then this is a cool piece of hardware ... go for it (and get one for me as well).

G

• Like Like x 1
  4. littlefish

littlefish Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2011
    Glos., UK
    Or here's a free one. No, I've not tried it but it it's on the 'to do' list when our 2 year old daughter is older. :smile: We might not get to it though as she's already "using" our little Kodak Easyshare Sport C123 which is cheaper than the pinhole camera.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    • Like Like x 1
  6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If you want to explore film, get yourself an old manual SLR, like an Olympus OM-1, Canon AE-1 (these are ALL over Craigslist), etc. You have a Takumar, so consider an M42-mount camera. Pentax/Honeywell are especially easy to come across.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm going to list an old Pentax Spotmatic for sale soon in the classifieds, but it's certainly not as cool or wooden as that one. If the price doesn't bother you, I'd say go for it.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I shoot with a Canonet, recently sold an OM-1n and had before that a Pentax ME Super.

In fact, I'm asking my wife for the sprocket rocket for Christmas: Sprocket Rocket - Sprocket Rocket Cameras - Cameras - Lomography Shop

It's easy (and boring, IMO) to make technically perfect photos. I'm more interested in edge cases, and seeing what you can produce with challenged equipment. Probably why I still love the EP1 and can't bring myself to sell it.

For a while, I was following the idea that you make a technically perfect pic first, then post process. But I'm getting really bored of sitting behind a computer all the time. Photography was supposed to get me outside and away from the computer (I use computers in my day job).

The added benefit of the DIY, is helping the younger folks understand the mechanism. There's no better way to understand shutter speed than opening and closing the iris by hand! I prefer this little wood one over the paper-based/looks like a DSLR for the very fact that this doesn't look like a camera. I might even set up a developing lab in the basement for B&W film.

Anyone else doing your own developing?

9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I guess you need to be honest about who you're buying the camera for, then. For yourself, the pinhole may be more fun. But, for your daughter who I assume is not skilled in manual photography, something like one of the cameras that you have owned before would be a better choice, if you want her to have fun, get involved, and not be frustrated. It will be much more fulfilling for her to learn photography with an older film SLR than a pinhole camera.

It's like when I bought an XBOX 360, haha. "But honey, it's for you, so that you can watch Netflix on the TV instead of on your laptop!" Oh man, she's such a good sport.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    shnitz has a couple of valid points there. Is she old enough to care to how it works? Maybe a POS digital is the right place to start. Youngsters love to fire off tons of frames and there's no expense in developing. If she's old enough to appreciate the uber-manual-ness of everything, then it might be a good choice for her. Otherwise, I think you;re just trying to sneak yourself another present.

I'm not sure I love sprocket holes on EVERY shot I take, but I hope Santa brings you that Sprocket Rocket. That's a cool-looking rig!

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think you guys are thinking about it wrong, personally. She likes to build things, so the DIY is perfect. I think the learning lesson is to see the film go in, play with it, then see it develop (then print it afterward). Only time will tell if she takes to it or not, but if she doesn't, it's only $50. If she does, then she can decide where to go.

To move directly to a DSLR to teach about f/stops, aperture, etc. That's pretty sterile and techno, IMO. Befitting perhaps gear-head guys like us, but I really want her to be amazed at making her own images in film, rather than learn the technical ins and outs of exposure (at least at this time). To see what that little box can do. If she gets bored of it, no big deal. It happens.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston