How about the GX1 as a small good quality 2nd camera

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DigitalD, Jan 19, 2014.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Just thought I would ask this. I've dived into m43 and lovin it. I sold my entire Nikon v1 and J1 set up to step up to the E-M1 after reading such good things from my blog fav Steve Huff.

But I am missing my j1 with the pancake for those times when your just around town and not wanting to bring 'the whole bag' but still want the opportunity to grab some choice shots. So after looking around I'm finding the GX1 for pretty cheap these days. Around $199-225.

Anyone with experience with this camera? Any alternatives that have the same size/quality/price or better?

Thanks in advance!

2. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    One of my m43 favorites for size, build, and value.
    The sooc output is a bit different from Olympus.

An Epm2 might be another option.

3. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Different how do you think?

4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    The GX-1 is a great choice for that sort of use. Even better, IMO, but quite a bit more money is the new GM-1. Tiny camera and lens, but very good quality judging from the early reviews.

5. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I agree, I LOVED the build quality and form factor of the GX1. I have cameras that cost 5x as much that don't feel as nice. That said, I had a hard time with Pany colors. The jpegs are terrible at best. Even the raws are very cold and don't seem to have as much latitude as the Oly files. I now have a PM2 instead.

6. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I loved everything about the GX1 except the colors. I could never get them right. I switched to E-M5 and now th JPEGs look great most of the time, and the Raws even at default Adobe color (in Lightroom) work well and are easy to fix.

7. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Aha. I knew there had to be a reason people were dumping these for so cheap these days. I definitely don't want a second camera that I have to spend time in LR just to get them right unless maybe it's worth it for a monochrome camera. ;) I've seen them now as low as $120. The PM-3 looks great but cheapest I'm seeing is around $389. Appreciate the insight guys!

8. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm a huge fan of the GX1, I literally own several and one G3 (which uses the same battery). At one time I also had a G5, though I prefer the GX1 by a wide margin. I recently started using one body with a 14-42 PZ as an everyday, in my car, camera.

Four GX1s with a LVF2 mounted are my everyday tools, love the (small) camera, and I don't have a problem with the Panasonic JPEGs, but that's a personal choice/opinion. The most recent body I purchased (but didn't need) was from a forum member here, new-in-box for $200! The GX1 is a fantastic camera for more money, but for less than $250 I think it's one of the best camera deals I've ever seen.

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I used to really dislike Panasonic colors, but once you learn how to tweak the files they look fine. In fact Olympus colors are kind of boring to me now. The GX1 is a fine camera and is more akin to the J1 with a pop-up flash. The E-PMx cameras have anemic screens and the annoying attachable flash.

Oh yeah, compared to the V1/J1 sensor the Panasonic 16mp sensor is definitely better in terms of color and sharpness. I've owned both. The V1 files always seemed to lack punch to me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    It's fine as a primary camera as well. :)
    The reason you are seeing them go for so little is because it's old now and Panasonic thrmselves has been dumping them for 200 or so, so that's depressing used prices even more.
    It was sold as a premium body camera at a premium price, and it feels like one .

• Like Like x 1
  11. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Exactly! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  12. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I would have to agree.

I've recently bought myself a second GX1 body, from a link posted on the Hot Deals forum - Roberts Camera have refurbished units (both Black & Silver models) in stock at $199.97.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Different is not worst. :)
    Especially for a raw shooter like me.

I felt like the GX1 color was pretty neutral.
    I bought a huelight .raf profile for it and was quite pleased.
    A perfect starting block for wherever you wanted to take it.
    While not quite the dynamic range of the newer Oly sensor, plenty for most situations.

• Like Like x 2
  14. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I think similarly. I've used the 'standard' JPEG setting lots, including with added saturation and contrast, as well as vivid, mono, etc.

In favor of more neutral/natural colors I'm currently using the 'natural' JPEG setting with contrast turned up one notch, same with mono. There is plenty of adjustability in-camera for those who want to experiment.

• Like Like x 1
  15. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    No, no no. No one is dumping the GX1. It's just fallen too far behind Panasonic's last of fast iterations, through no fault of its own, and not by reason of inferiority. The colors argument is highly overblown, but can be fixed pretty easily if it becomes a problem.

That said, the nitpick I have with mine is plain and simple lack of a viewfinder. I'm just not totally gelling with composing on an LCD screen, and it's petty, but it just isn't as satisfying. If it's not a concern for you, so much the better.

• Like Like x 2
  16. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    The LVF2 is $160, but I love using one. Best viewfinder I've used on any camera in a very long time.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Understood. I kind of like the idea of having a Pany in addition to the e-m1. Give me some cross comparison and something 'new'. And 16mp quality mirror less for under $200 is pretty compelling right now. I don't mind the no EVF. It will be for casual occasions. I'll probably leave a wide pancake prime permanently attached ;)

18. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That's what I do, the 14mm lives on it! The LVF2 is a great addition, but it does bring the price up to nearly double.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    In case you still need any encouragement, I used a GX1 for quite a lot of photos and had no complaints at all about it - quite the contrary, and at current prices, it's more than a bargain. Lower market prices don't reflect at all on the basic IQ capabilities of this camera. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  20. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Bingo! :thumbup: