1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How about the e-pm2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tardegardo, Feb 3, 2013.

1. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Anyone has it?
    I know it's pretty new but seems like none has got. It doesn't even appear in the second hand market.
    Anyone here has it and wants to share impression about this cheaper but competitive small camera?

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Lots of stuff in the Olympus forum. General reaction is a bit of disappointment with the build quality but IQ on par with the E-M5.

3. jasonsiew

jasonsiew New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2013
    I have it, but I have nothing to draw comparison to cept a S90. Its REALLY small, the body alongside a Canon S90, a decent compact is just a tiny bit bigger, cept the kit lens look gargantuan on it.

the body is solid, well built, no creaking, doesn't feel loose, ergonomics are great -- a key reason why I chose it over the EPL5. Due to the EPL5's protruding screen, it was awful to hold the EPL5 in my hands

I don't see how anyone would be disappointed with the "build quality", if anything, it lack physical control dials, easily remedied with assigning your own custom command on the Fn key. With a Panasonic 14mm pancake, size to IQ ratio ranks pretty high, which is the key reason I bought mine. And with the same sensors and internals as the OMD E-M5, its truly bang for bucks. Buy the EPM2, save the money on glass instead.

4. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    No disappointment here. I love the 20mm combo with it.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Build quality refers to materials and fit and finish, not controls/ergonomics.

The older E-PM1 had a metal shell and felt nicely solid. The E-PM2 has a mostly polycarbonate shell. Doesn't affect performance, but it's not nearly so nice to hold (also feels thicker to me than the specs suggest).

Outside of that, it's a great little camera. I'm particularly happy about the small AF point option, which the E-M5 doesn't fully support, and the ability to use OIS on all Panasonic lenses, not just the ones with switches. So far as I'm concerned, it's a pocket E-M5, at less than half the price. About the only functional aspect I'd change is the control wheel - it's a bit too small for even my small hands.

6. jasonsiew

jasonsiew New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2013
    I am fully aware that build quality refers to materials and fit and finish, and not controls/ergonomics.

Read my sentence again :rolleyes:
    As an owner, it doesn't creak, doesn't feel loose, doesn't rattle, I don't see how that's poor "build quality". Comparing it to metal shell, maybe you can say the EPM2 has poor-er choice of build materials.

To draw comparison, a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone has awesome build quality, despite having an all poly-carbonate shell construction, in comparison to an iPhone 5 with glass/aluminum construction. So yeah, you meant build material instead of build quality. :rolleyes: I like holding a Galaxy S3 over an ice cold iPhone 5, how a user perceives a the feel of a particular material is rather personal.

7. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sorry - I misread your sentence.

You're probably right, but to most people these days, build quality has come to include build materials :smile:

8. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    do you mind to post any pics here, guys?
    I am curious to see what the e-pm2 and pana 20 or 14 combo look like.

9. rdearth53

rdearth53 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2012
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    Here ya go, with the P20!

8271129934_3d01a3a5c4_b.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 App

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Let me be clear that I've never handled an E-PM2 and I just read the threads on mu43 when I was trying to make the PM2/PL5 decision. Here's a sample thread (there are others) that displays what I was reading:

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/just-got-e-pm2-first-thoughts-vs-e-pm1-36012/

It does refer to build quality issues primarily as the feel of the materials.

11. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not the 20, but similar in size.

i-nJhb6nW-L.

12. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    thanks a lot, mates!

13. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Silver version with the 14mm and my (well loved) VF-2...

P2044628.

... and just because it looks so friggin' sweet - with a Jupiter-3 :biggrin:

P2044632.

14. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    I'm not sure what the deal is on build quality. I have both the 1 and the 2. Both are well built but different. The 2 is easier to grip, at least for me. I saw that link posted above and it is kind of a mystery. The 2 is very well built and has terrific image quality, focus and handling. I haven't handled the em5 but I'm more than happy with the epm2.

15. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have had my E-PM2 since it was released and the 14/2.5 is mounted 90% of the time.

Everything is great but somehow the handling leaves a lot to be desired. Not having a mode dial or tilt screen doesn't matter one bit, but the 4 way with rotary wheel control is finicky and slow. Especially since mine has a problem and changes settings on its own.

I have been wanting a grip or some accessory to make the cam easier to hold, because with larger lenses its awkward and one handed adjustments while holding the camera are impossible.

But the price considering the capability makes this Pen a real keeper. And I think it looks hot in white :)

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I think the "material" thing is literally metal vs. plastic. The E-PM1 (I have one of these) has a metal-surfaced body whereas the E-PM2 has a plastic-surfaced body. I think some upgraders from the E-PM1 were disappointed because they liked the metal body.

I think the take away on the E-PM2 is compact body, a limited but useful number of external controls, and great IQ. Given it's current price on par with serious compact money, it's an excellent deal.

17. Brucebrad

Brucebrad Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm interested in the ergonomics. I currently have an E-P1 and shoot mainly in A - and use exposure lock a fair bit. I gather you can program a button for exposure lock and presume the rotary wheel is how you set aperture? Do others agree about the finicky and slow?

And most important ;-) Which colour looks best with the Panasonic lenses? (eg the 20mm)

18. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I bought it for my wife for xmas and it's a very good and very small camera. Like someone said, it's like a pocket E-M5.

19. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Sorry for the crappy camera phone picture...
    EPM2 & 20mm
    photo-20130203-XL.

20. jasonsiew

jasonsiew New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2013
    You nailed it there. I think its very misleading for people considering the E-PM2, because so many people, especially non-owners to say it has poor build quality.

Just cause its polycarbonate doesn't mean its poor build quality.

That's like saying a Mont Blanc pen has poor build quality cause it uses resin (organic plastic) vs a Cross pen with alloy construction.