1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How about pixel shifting without higher resolution?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RichardB, Sep 19, 2016.

1. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    The Pentax K-3 II knows the pixel-shifting trick that Hasselblad and Olympus use, but Pentax doesn't try to get higher resolution from the technique. Instead, it just reads the intensities of all colors at all photosites on the sensor, eliminating anti-mosaicing errors and the moire patterns that a Bayer filter often produces. The improvements in detail and color fidelity can be stunning, as Imaging Resource has shown.

I love this approach! It renders the beautifully accurate textures that used to be the sole domain of Foveon and medium format sensors, without bulking the photo up with ultra-high resolution that I don't need.

Olympus uses finer technology than Pentax's to create higher-resolution images, but there's little difference in image quality when the images are scaled for comparison.

Since I don't need 40MP jpegs, and the huge file sizes are actually a hindrance for me, I would be delighted if Olympus updated the E-M5 II firmware to give us the option of a pixel-shifting "high resolution" mode without higher resolution. A 16MP image with all-color sampling at each photosite would be ideal for me.

I understand that high resolution is important to some people, and that 40MP resolution is an answer to full-frame enthusiasts, but a high-res mode without higher res would meet my needs perfectly.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can see the appeal. It's also faster so less chance of movement in the scene, and because the original frames would also be aligned 16 MP frames it makes manually cloning out any artefacts seamless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    That's what Olympus does: It takes 4 Pictures to eliminate the Bayer filter. But then it does the same again with a half pixel shift. (Probably not in that sequence, but it doesn't matter anyway.)

This comparison doesn't tell anything when they don't say what lenses they were using. Only few lenses are capable to take full advantage of the high res mode. (I should assume that the new Pro lenses are.)

4. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Maybe it will be something they can add in a firmware update for the EM1 mk2, or maybe it will be an actual feature in the EM1 mk2 along side handheld hi-res. We'll find out in 4h 49min when their press conference starts at 1pm EST.

5. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    While it may not address the size-on-card issue which seems to be the biggest problem for you (more so than just being 40MP). One could simply take the 40MP result, and resize it to 16MP achieving a similar result to what you are asking for.

So your needs would be perfectly addressed in post, unless your needs are the size limitation of your card primarily and the color rendition secondly.

Personally I would rather have a Raw file with all of the photosite information in the shift and go from there. Would be a much larger file size (cards are cheap, I don't have anything less than a 16GB), but I would get much more information which I could either spread the bayer for a larger resolution, or keep small for better noise/color represenation.