How about an OMD EM4

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Brian style, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Brian style

Brian style Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    Would anybody else buy an "OMD EM4": An EM5 without the built in EVF, a little less weather sealing (obviously because VF2 accessory port), but everything else essentially the same (5 axis, tilt screen, etc)...AND a lower price!

I love the multiple dials giving me instant and constant access to more than only one function with the turn of a wheel. That's what sours me on the EPL and EPM bodies. (The EP body only has one dial on the back right?)

I would buy one without hesitation. I really like the EM5 but the price causes pause for me, and plenty of others as I've read on these boards. Besides, if an "EM4" body is $350-$400 less, how much more attractive does the grip become? (although still pretty stiffly priced at $300) :smile:
  2. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    The last thing an E-Mx should remove is the EVF. We PEN owners (well, me at least) want an EVF.

I'd say take out weathersealing and tilt LCD first.
  3. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I agree with you on the EVF.But leave the tilt screen!I use it about 50% of the time now,especially for stealth street shooting.I wasn't a big fan of the articulating one on my G3,but this E-M5 one snaps out in an instant and is centered on the lens, much nicer and sturdier.The weathersealing is useless to me because it never rains here in sunny SoCal.
  4. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well the OP wanted to shed $300-400 so something has to give.

For me the E-Mx needs to keep:

- OM style body with some grip
    - EVF
    - twin dials
    - compatibility with system grips, battery, etc

And all else is fair game;

- LCD tilt
    - weathersealing
    - 5 axis IBIS
    - exotic metals

Maybe there's room for two variants in there.
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    So what you want is an EP4? (more likely an EP5. the number 4 is a fail).

And the EM5 has the same accessory port, so weather sealing isn't an issue.

6. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    It's called the EP5.

They'll never make a low end OMD, unless they start introducing a new, updated version of the OMD for a couple of grand with a plethora of features that makes the current generation OMD pale in comparison.

If that happens, they'll introduce a lower end one, I bet. Much like how at Canon, there's the 5D, then the 7D, etc.
  7. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Considering there's a $300 difference between the E-M5 and E-PL5, there's not much room for a lower end OM-D to slot in. An E-P4/E-P5, so if we split the pricing different the MSRP would be $900 and $200-ish for an EVF attachment. So at that point why wouldn't you just jump on the E-M5 and have all of the features instead of just a gimped camera or just wait for E-M5 prices to drop more.
  8. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    What's the difference between a Pen and an OM-D without a viewfinder?

There are not a lot of differences between the Pens and the OM-D and the viewfinder is the main difference.
  9. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    What's the difference between pen and om-d, easy.. 5-axis stabilization.

As for the OP, how does one do a little less weatherproofing? Either it is, or isn't.

For me, the om-d line should always be weathersealed, 5iaxis (since they choose the epl-d and em2 to be 2axis). As such, Olympus needs to really launch a killer sealed prime ie 25mm but competing against pana's is tough as they really own the 25mm with the pana-leica. Don't see how they could do any better. Maybe a fast long zoom.

Don't see how or where they could dumb it down, really only option is for a higher end variant. Otherwise, it would just be an epl-...
  10. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Which is contained in the hump, so we likely won't see a E-Pxx with it.

If I were making an E-M3 (probably not going to be E-M4 due to that whole death = 4 thing) or E-M30 (why did the go with the E- moniker since the E- series is not retro at all, the OM series is), then here's what I'd change:

1) Not weather-sealed.
    2) Remove the accessory port (low-end doesn't need external mic and would have to do without macro lights), giving a shorter hump.
    3) One top control dial and perhaps a wheel around the d-pad.
    4) Maybe drop the res on the screen and/or EVF.

Not sure that it would save enough to make it worth it. As others have said, it would probably cannibalize some of the Pen (+VF) sales. Personally, I wouldn't buy any of the current Pens, but would consider a simplified E-M5.
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    If the price is what worries you about the E-M5, I think the simplest solution is to wait. m4/3 camera prices are notorious for sudden, rapid declines and while the E-M5 has avoided that so far, I doubt it will last much into the new year.
  12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    There will never be a "4" in either the Pen or OM-D lines.

Perhaps a E-M50 (following the old OM format) or E-ML5 (modern format, a bit silly if you ask me...).

I agree with the following

13. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I've been told that the next OM-D is to be a replacement for the E-P3 that's going out of production at the end of this year. The Olympus Rep suggested it would be called E-M3, and have a reduced feature set, but he was not specific about what was going to be removed. I'd guess it will look more like an OM-D than the E-PL5, so built in viewfinder is probably a keeper. The new sensor is a definitely going to be included, so that leaves the weather sealing, 5 axis IS, hand grip option, and extra buttons/dials as possibilities for removal.
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Supposedly, Olympus has said they are producing a lower spec OMD, and maybe this winter. It will definitely have an Eye-level VF since that is the signature feature of the OMD body style, i.e., an OMD will always look like a small DSLR. I suspect that every other feature could be up for grabs, including:
    1. weather sealing
    2. 5 axis IBIS
    3. The number of physical buttons and control dials.
    4. Subtler features such as construction materials.
  15. Brian style

Brian style Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    You guys make great points I never thought about. Especially considering it would put it more in direct competition with the EP#. That and I obviously don't completely get the Olympus marketing strategy since I'm new to m4/3. Heck, it took me a while to figure out why there were EPL's, EPM's, EP's... they all looked basically the same to me LOL!

I hear rumors of an even more expensive and slightly larger OMD may be on the way, so can I safely assume that Olympus wants the OMD line to be the "pro" line, and as such would probably never really cut down the EM5 or future EM's much?
  16. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Everything I'm seeing isn't a lesser version but a higher end version with perhaps as a pen. I would guess it would be an ep-5 with 4\3 lens compatibility with phase and contrast af.
  17. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    And at the same time, an updated em-5 with the same phase contrast af. Perhaps the ep-d will have built in low powered flash as well.
  18. amalric

Jul 24, 2012
    Rome. Italy
    There are two different cameras coming in 2013, according to 43rumors. Since yesterday we know that one is a Pro, hybrid OM-D, at the end of the year.
    The second should come or be announced by the end of Jan. and is the successor to the E-P3.
    It is said to be a completely new design, which I hope will be in the X-E1 and NEX7/6 style, but there are no details yet.
    I don't expect it to be inexpensive, say in the same price bracket, but hence how could it compete without a built in EVF?
    I don't expect it to have a hump either.
    I don't care about 5-axis IBIS or faster video, but I do care about button placement, ergonomics, stills performance, and nearly pocketability. It should define a new line, separate from the OM-D.
  19. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Is there any source to either of these?
  20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia