How a Sony RX100 convinced me to get an OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Sep 2, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I rented an OMD a few weeks back -- early August. It was great fun, but it's a little heavy for it's size, and I know I was going to carry around 2 bodies, so the cost and the weight convinced me not to get one.

But the controls kept haunting me. The two dials make the OMD singularly the easiest camera to adjust and control I've every used. I don't even find the thumb-level on/off switch an issue. It works for me, and is very easy to brush up or down as needed. Some people have compared it to Canon DSLRs on/off switch. I've used the 30D, 40D and 5D, and can say the annoying part of that on/off switch was that it was THREE part -- off, on with thumb wheel, and on without thumb wheel. That's what annoyed me, but the OMD is easier. It's binary -- on or off. Much better. But I digress.

Any rate, I purchased recently a Sony RX100, and this camera has taken the place of my "kit" lens on m43 and has become my defacto "walk about" camera. This freed me up to stop thinking about the smallest m43 body, and go for the one with the best controls -- the OMD. I might still upgrade my EPM1 with a new compact Oly with the new sensor, or I might not (the EPM1 has so little street value, I might as well keep it). But it's just funny to me that the RX100 purchase, freed up my brain to go with the OMD.

Of course, this was a very expensive move. A used OMD at $850 and the RX100 new at $650. Ugh. Add in the grip I am bound to get, and that's a lot of money in fast depreciating camera bodies, lol.

Oh well.

A few abstracts from today, walking around an Audubon sanctuary. The odd thing I noticed was when I pointed the camera at the water with a strong sunlight reflection, the colors desaturated. I don't understand why. In the first shot, the lily pads were a much stronger green. In the last shot there was color to the water, but it's almost B&W.

Lily Pads
    [​IMG]

Leaves reflected in water
    [​IMG]

More leaves reflected in water
    [​IMG]

2. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

A NEX purchase always unchains my creativity and obviously did yours too, your 3 pictures are stunning, particularly the first and last one.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes....
    The rx100 will make some folks take a different look at walk-arounds....

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    How do you like RX100 OOC colors, AWB and sharpness compared to E-PM1? I am thinking of doing similar, getting RX100 as my to go camera reserving m43 for shallow DoF and telephoto only. On paper, RX100 looks like a perfect social cam, low light w/o flash, enough DoF for group shots, etc. It's also supposed to be a superb video machine (I do a lot of video).

5. Congats on the new camera(s!). I love the reflected colours in the second image in particular.

6. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    There is an RX100 thread here.

I like my RX100 as a carry-everywhere-I-can't-take-my-OMD camera. The images in this Flickr set were taken two days after receiving the RX100 and have only been slightly desaturated. There are full size versions available for your own judgement.

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    thank you, the sharpness seems great but I am detecting a prominent green cast on nearly all the pictures. Was WB set on auto?

8. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    Yes, it was. I see no green cast on my calibrated monitor or on my uncalibrated iMac. Any others seeing a green cast?

9. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Colors I see on my iPad are cool and somewhat desaturated but no discernible color cast. Was that a choice you made?

10. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    Yes, slight desaturation was the only change made to jpgs straight out of camera. I had set the camera to "Vivid" and it was not good for skin tones.

11. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Lightroom 4.2 RC has the camera profile for the RX100 now. It's pretty good and always nice to see the 28mm equivalent shots not look like they're taken from a fisheye lens.

I'm using an OM-D and the RX100 (with a little Pentax Q throw-in) as my 2 camera set up. All the test shots I did with an E-PL1/12-35mm and the RX100 were pretty damn close. I sold the 12-35mm, but only for the high price.

12. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I agree that the color appears cool, but no discernible color cast. I prefer a little bit warmer skin tone.

13. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The RX100 has been on my radar screen since its launch, but I don't think I will be getting one for myself, as I need a second body to my E-M5 so that I don't have to swap lenses as often. My E-PL3 is currently doing that, although I am eagerly awaiting its replacement with the E-M5 sensor.

Having said that, the RX100 is an attractive little camera, although the price seems a little stiff at the moment! If the price ever comes down to around $500, I will try to convince my wife to replace her XZ-1 with it! :biggrin:

14. goodsonr

goodsonr Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2011
    To those of you who have a RX100 and Panasonic 14mm 2.5 .. how would you compare those two for inside-building type shots?

I had the Panasonic 14mm and it was bought expressly as a walk-around lens for outdoor everything and inside spaces (not people .. I have the Panny 20mm for inside people). I have since sold the lens.

While I toy with the idea of re-purchasing, I also toy with the idea of buying the RX100 as the walk-around solution that could also do some low-light indoor work (replacing my current p&s which I never take anywhere for indoor-work as it is useless for that). The $170 or so I don't spend on the Panny lens could go towards to RX100.

So, how is the quality of images from the Rx100 at 14mm compared to the Panasonic .. about the same?? I realize this depends upon what camera body. I currently have an EPL-1 while waiting for the new Pens to come out. I shall buy the EPL-whatever which, rumour states, will have the OMD sensor.

tks for any words of wisdom

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I have both. I have not picked up the 14 since I got the RX100, BUT the RX100 minimum focus distance is not good. The 14mm will do better at a closer focus, with the subject in it's larger context.

(edit -- I am wrong on this. See post # 19 below. The RX100 actually has a closer MFD than the P14 at 28mm)

16. goodsonr

goodsonr Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2011
    I'm not really concerned about close-focus. I was thinking more about inside of museums, train-stations, airports- that kind of thing... large public buildings / structures

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Compared to my EPM1, I think the RX100 does a better job. Mainly because of the high ISO performance and higher MP. I did not check critically, though, for PF, distortion, softness etc. Perhaps someone else could comment who has done more thorough testing? For my purposes (travel and family), I am quite pleased with the RX100 at 28mm wide.

18. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I believe MFD on the RX100 is 2cm, which makes for a potentially nicely blurred background f1.8. However, I think there's more (uncorrected) distortion @ 28mm (135mm format equivalent-same focal length for both the RX100 & 14mm f2.5 m43 lens) in the RX100 towards the edge of the frame than with the 14mm-which also has plenty.

However, even at f1.8 with the RX100 and certainly at f2.5, the RX100 is as good as the 14mm with any 1st generation sensor, though my E-PL1 pulls lots of detail wide-open with the 14mm.

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    At 28mm (10.4mm actual FL), the MFD is more like 5cm. I just checked. Still, that's much closer than I thought it was. AND it's closer than the 14mm, so I was wrong. I should check before spouting off!

On the RX100, though, the MFD lengthens as the lens telephoto out, so I was likely confusing the long and and the short end.

20. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Yeah, and I meant that's its 2cm from the end of the lens...I keep screwing up when sounding official too....5cm's from the sensor for MFD sounds correct (I don't have the RX100 with me right now).