House rule

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Oct 16, 2010.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    My wife and I have a house rule on gear (arrived at by mutual agreement) "if I buy new gear (and it applies to my HiFi as well) it need to be financed by selling old gear". This has served me well lately. Here is my tale...

I just sold off all my Konica lenses and I thought I'd share why. I have nothing against them. They are excellent lenses and deliver terrific results. I had a decent set of focal lengths and really had no intention of doing this until...I got a Pentax Super Takumar 55/1.8 for $20 in local camera shop. I picked it mostly because I like the shop, wanted to support them and it was the only thing I could afford. Its a cool little lens. It's not great but I was really impressed by the build and how nice it was. The image quality was good but not great. After I sold off some gear I ended up with a 50/1.4 Super Takumar and a 28/3.5 SMC Super Takumar. The way the feel in the hand and work is so darn nice that they quickly became my favorite lenses to use day to day. In addition to the seductive feel they can produce some really nice images. They are not quite as sharp as the Konicas but close, have terrific bokeh and a little something extra that I am struggling to explain but I find very appealing.

Fast forward a month and my gear lust was in overdrive so I decided that intervention was the only answer. Gone are my Konicas. Gone are my OM lenses (except the 35-70 that no one seems to want). I'm all m42 with the Super Taks and Russian lenses. I have stabilized at a 50/1.4, 28/3.5, 105/2.8 (I have the 55/1.8 sitting on a bellows and serving as a macro) the Helios 44 and the Industar. I also have a Olympus 17/2.8 for snaps and times when I need AF. My gear frenzy has subsided and because of the house rule I ended up breaking even. This could have ended up being a pricey little event. Thank god for the house rule. I'm going to go thank my wife properly.

• Like Like x 2
  2. feppe

feppe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2010
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    With a rule like that you'll end up with just one lens and a cheap camera in a few years due to inflation.

I sell my unused gear and I don't need a wife to tell me that's a good idea.

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I think you're missing the point of the house rule. It's not you gotta sell old equipment it's you need to finance new equipment with the sale of old. It enforces some discipline (which is not a big strength of enthusiasts in any area) I currently have 11 rangefinders (most of them mint), 5 film SLRs, my EPL-1, a collection of bits like bellows, closeup lenses and filters as well as my little cache of Super Takumars and Russian lenses (all paid for my selling off unused gear) so the house rule has been doing pretty well. As far as my wife telling me to sell stuff...I get ZERO static about any purchases because none of it funded out of the household budget.

I'll get back to you when I'm down to one lens and a cheap camera.

4. jonima

jonima Mu-43 Regular

I like this houserule. I try to do it as wel. Sold my old Nikon gear to finance a new camera wen entering the digital side of Photography.

No regrets so far!!:2thumbs:

Johan

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Congrats on the new gear. :biggrin: What did you get?

6. jonima

jonima Mu-43 Regular

Hi,

As you can see in my signature it's a G1 with Kitlens 14-45mm, the 45-200mm is in the mail as we speak via E-bay. All funded with the Nikon Gear!!

I did not sell my Leica lenses though, these where used by my father and I am enjoying them now.
    I wanted Digital but not that heavy, so :43: is the format for me!!

Just like you I do the same with my audio stuff!!

Johan

7. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    My rule is similar but less strict: I have to finance at least half the purchase with the sale of old. Doesn't have to be from the same hobby, of course. I've sold a couple redundant woodworking tools and some pens to get camera gear.

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I also can use one hobby to fund another. My HiFi gear and my cameras have funded one another quite frequently. Also I have become pretty good at minor repair so I have been able to re-cone and re-wire some speakers, refinish some cabinets and do some minor repair on cameras to turn a yard sale bargains into something that sell for more I put into it.

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I find it pretty easy to do with audio gear. Good gear tends to keep its value and if you buy right you can do well later. I recently picked up a Mission Cyrus one for next to nothing because most folks here in the US don't know what they are looking at.

10. jonima

jonima Mu-43 Regular

Congratulations on your good choice of audio!! That one is very populair in Europe!! I have good experience up till now in selling my stuff to people who are really excited and not so much collecting or re-selling for a profit!!

Johan