Houmas House and Garden

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by fdifulco, Jun 2, 2013.

1. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    The greater New Orleans area is more than just the French Quarter, about an hour drive from New Orleans is an area of Louisiana where some of the old plantation homes have been preserved and restored. one of those opened for tours and dinning is the Houmas house and garden. the weather was a challenge because it went from sunny, to cloudy to rain. used a range of primes but mostly the 12mm.

the current owner has furnished the house that he lives in with correct period furnishings.

i tried shooting handheld but wished for a flash, then remembered that i had tucked the OMD little flash. worked in a pinch.

he also has one of the old style viewers. (camera related)

you can also dine for dinner in the house.

they preserved the old kitchen

and the garden is a combination of multiple styles: old and modern,

the food is really good :}

link to full slide show
    Photo Sharing. Your Photos Look Better Here. | SmugMug

2. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks for the tour!
  3. Neat. Also, if you can get ahold of a copy to review, it is in black and white. It is a photo essay of those homes along each bank of the Mississippi from the Huey P. Long bridge to almost Baton Rouge and back. Many homes are gone or derelict, others pristine.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ghosts Along The Mississippi ...
    Clarence John Laughlin's book is a staple around here (I'm in New Orleans), especially because some of the sites he documents are no longer here.
  4. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Very nice clarity and color.