1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Houghton Mill

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by richie15, Apr 23, 2010.

1. richie15

richie15 Guest

Its a bit dark, but I didnt want to overdo it with pp. Any suggestions welcome.

4543921687_bee2c2792e_o.

2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    beautiful image...

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hi Richie,

This has all the elements of a very nice picture. Do I have your permission to post an edited version?

Cheers,

John

4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Well done Ritchie. Great picture. I like the atmosphere a lot. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great weekend.

5. richie15

richie15 Guest

Yes please, as long as you tell me what you have done. All I did was darkened the sky and highlighted the foreground slightly.

6. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    It would be nice to see a multi-exposure HDR image produced of this shot so that the inherent dynamic range in the photo could be developed while retaining the exotic darkening mood of the original.

Bokeh Diem

7. richie15

richie15 Guest

I have tried, its not that easy, the GF1 TIFF converted in C1 struggles and introduces to much noise. I have used Vivezza in PS instead and highlighted and darkened. Happy upload the raw for you if you want to have a go.

8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hi Richie,

I've had a go at editing in Elements and came up with this:-

MFT.

The first adjustment was in Levels. The histogram was bunched to the left, with the highlights curve ending well short of the left edge. I dragged the highlights slider to meet the curve and this recovered some of the dynamic range. The image still seemed a little dark for my taste, to be expected as the shadows curve went off the edge of the histogram, so I used Adjust Lighting, Shadows/Highlights and lightened shadows by 15%. I then cropped soem of the remaining darkness of the bottom and right side of the image. The danger with this type of editing is a risk of increased noise, but in this case I think it remains acceptable.

It's all a matter of taste, of course. There is no right or wrong way and many people would consider that your original exposure captured the mood just fine. Others may have used a smaller adjustment of the shadows or stopped after sdjusting Levels to get an in between result. I always think it is worth expoloring the possibilities to see which result you prefer yourself.

Thanks for sharing this lovely image and offering it for debate.

Cheers,

John

9. richie15

richie15 Guest

Thanks John, like what you have done, I am going to try and reprocess the RAW image and replicate the lighting you have suggested.

Cheers

Richard

10. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Woo Hoo! Amazing what lurks in them thar shadows. And all that subtle lighting in the background is still very much there.

Bokeh Diem