1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hotshoe Flash Portrait!

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by DekHog, Oct 8, 2011.

1. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I don't do hotshoe flash - well I might more now. Metz 48 AF-1 on the hotshoe with a black foamie thing attached - I had literally two minutes to get the camera out and get set up before the gaggle of girls ran out the door for a birthday party.

This one probably the best as I was quickly moving the flash head around to point it in different directions to see what the effect would be - this was pointing up and behind me and slightly to the side - actually bounced off gloss white kitchen units and the ceiling!

I know the cropping and background are rubbish, but I was still pleased with the relatively shadowless effect of the lighting for on-camera flash....

E-PL2 & 20mm F1.7 @ F5.6 - flash on TTL +0.7EV

2gvn7rt.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 3
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Nice shot. Great light. I also use a black foamieie thing as my main light for bridal homes. It's a fast way to get great light in small spaces. I wouldn't say that the lighting is shadowless. It's just that they're really nice shadows. Tangents is a great site.

Gordon

3. Great lighting in what looks like a very tight spot. Very smooth.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I put a piece of white foamy thing between the black and the flash. It helps reflect more light forward when the flash is bounced toward a ceiling - helpful with getting catchlights in the eyes. You can vary the amount of light with the size of the white foam.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.