1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hotshoe Flash Portrait!

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by DekHog, Oct 8, 2011.

1. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I don't do hotshoe flash - well I might more now. Metz 48 AF-1 on the hotshoe with a black foamie thing attached - I had literally two minutes to get the camera out and get set up before the gaggle of girls ran out the door for a birthday party.

This one probably the best as I was quickly moving the flash head around to point it in different directions to see what the effect would be - this was pointing up and behind me and slightly to the side - actually bounced off gloss white kitchen units and the ceiling!

I know the cropping and background are rubbish, but I was still pleased with the relatively shadowless effect of the lighting for on-camera flash....

E-PL2 & 20mm F1.7 @ F5.6 - flash on TTL +0.7EV

2gvn7rt.

• Like Like x 3
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Nice shot. Great light. I also use a black foamieie thing as my main light for bridal homes. It's a fast way to get great light in small spaces. I wouldn't say that the lighting is shadowless. It's just that they're really nice shadows. Tangents is a great site.

Gordon

3. Great lighting in what looks like a very tight spot. Very smooth.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I put a piece of white foamy thing between the black and the flash. It helps reflect more light forward when the flash is bounced toward a ceiling - helpful with getting catchlights in the eyes. You can vary the amount of light with the size of the white foam.