1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hot shoe Camera hanger

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Ian., Jul 23, 2013.

1. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I sometimes need to take low to the ground or low water shots. I was just looking at some low shots here. The flip out screen of the OM-D helps a lot.

However I have 2 problems. I find it physically hard to bend down low, hold it for a few seconds with tense muscles and get up again. I must be getting old.
    Secondly, I want to get the smoothest reflections on some water like a river or lake where you are on the bank and you need to dangle the camera down to near the water over the edge. Difficult for anyone if you don't want to lay full length on the ground or if the drop is a lot.

So my brainwave is to dangle the camera on a strap you keep in your camera bag. I'm thinking of attatching it to the Hotshoe and looping the strap under the lens to support and manoeuvre it. Is there such a device available? Edit: I have a remote release. I could only find this not available locally:
    [​IMG]

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I don't know what available locally, but B&H has a whole section on hot shoe attacments.

Shoe Mount Adapters | B&H Photo Video

I don't know how you would trigger the camera when it is down out of reach. If you solve that (remote trigger with your phone maybe), then I would just put the camera on a monopod and hold it upside down.

3. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Thanks. I have a remote release cable.

I cant see how to attach a strap on that B&H device.

4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    With one of the mounts like this, you could poke a hole in the strap and capture the strap between the two thumb screws. I don't know how stable it would be.

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I'm not sure how different that is than using the strap lugs on the camera. Am I missing something?

6. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Attaching to the hotshoe is very quick. I don't want a neck strap and my sliding sling strap and the wrist strap attaches to one lug.

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Seems like a good way to damage a hotshoe and potentially rip it off the camera.

Gordon

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Why not use a microphone boom, like they do in movie making.

9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Amazon.com: ePhoto Portable Swivel Flash Clamp with Hot Shoe Mount Flash Adapter by ePhotoInc H6804HS: Camera & Photo

Put the strap into the clamp end and the hot shoe end onto the camera?

I'm not sold on the idea of dangling a camera via the hot shoe using a strap...

I was thinking of something a bit more stable, perhaps, while being light weight, something along the lines of a retractable metal measuring tape.

Komelon 4912IM The Professional 12-Foot Inch/Metric Scale Power Tape, Yellow - Amazon.com

Drill a hole in the tape near the starting end and then attach the tape to a hot shoe adapter

Amazon.com: Tripod 1/4 inches Screw to Flash Shoe Mount Adapter: Electronics

and secure between the two knurled knobs with a locking nut on top for safety. You would want the retractable tape to be wide enough to give a safety margin of metal around the drilled hole.

The tape could be extended out as far as you need (or dare!), is somewhat more stable than a strap, retracts into it's own housing and is light weight.

Of course the camera is still at the mercy of the hot-shoe-connector to hot-shoe; should the rig slip out the camera is history.

If speed is of the essence and you don't want to keep the tape attached to the adapter while in the bag you could forgo the safety nut and rely upon the two knurled nuts to hold the rig together. (Remove the top knurled nut, put the tape on, replace the top knurled nut, tighten, put the adapter onto the camera and Bob's-yer-uncle).

If you decide on a method, send pics!

(Assuming that the camera hasn't fallen into a river gorge :biggrin:).

Regards,

Jim

10. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Ah ok. I guess I must be old school for still using the camera strap for many of my cameras. On my smaller cameras I have an Op-Tech system that allows a wrist strap or neck strap with a quick release to reconfigure on the go.

11. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I wouldn't trust my camera to the hot shoe, it seems far better to me to follow ThomD's advise & use a monopod then invert the image.
    This also ensures the weight of the lens doesn't make the camera point down more than expected....

12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Mike, I gotta go with ya on this one! :2thumbs:

(I'm fond of my monopod, makes a nice walking stick and can be used to poke and fend off small children :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:).

Regards,

Jim

13. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Thanks for the replies.

The hot shoe is definitely up to the job. It is designed to cope with a flash gun as heavy as the camera and would only have to take half the weight as you need to support the lens as well. Maybe there are few accessories because some people would treat it roughly. Not me though. It's my precious camera!

This needs to be a compact device for the camera bag, so a monopod/tripod is out of the question. But I like the inverted idea. As the screen flips down a bit. It will be easier to find a screw mount and attach a nylon cord. It takes up no space.

mSidsSoiewAspGbMXNpSvQw. Though it's tough to find one in the same hemisphere on ebay.

14. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

You need to rethink

Definitely NOT. I know of at least 2 GH3's where the hot shoe got loose from mounting an LCD monitor on it. While the user mentioned that Panasonic did repair it, they also mentioned that it's not designed for large or heavy accessories, nor was it designed to carry the camera by. Use the anchor straps as they were designed for that purpose.

15. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Is the LCD monitor heavier than the big flash?

16. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Ian, I'm only sharing what panasonic told a friend of mine. It's not just weight. The weight and mass will exaggerate the lateral force that is exerted on the hot shoe. You are free to do whatever you choose. I'm just trying to spare you an unnecessary repair, and possibly an expensive one.

17. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    And a second question, can you use an LCD monitor on a OM-D? Could be useful. Obviously as long as you don't move laterally.

18. Mattr

Mattr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Matt Robinson
    Two possible solutions:

Mini/table top tripod - you can collapse these down to a couple.of inches/50mm

Bean bag. You can use a home made affair or buy one with a screw mount that had quite a bit off weight. The bag moulds to any surface shape and the proper photo ones ate very stable. My brother-in-law uses one and swears by it. Your camera would be almost at ground level with one of these.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mu-43 mobile app

19. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Thanks Matt. But my fiendish idea is to have a gadget that lives in a small pocket in a small camera bag. So its always to hand. Also, if you see a case where I needed it below. I want to dangle the camera right at the surface of water, mud, snow or wet grass. In fact anywhere that I don't want to or can't lay down or kneel down to compose the picture. The 2nd picture had to be shot quickly on the road surface before the next car came along.
    9429929020_165d6eba21_n. 8624380297_02b40aec96_n.
    On the road by ianp5a, on Flickr

I'm still following the inverted plan using the tripod thread. However, the OM-D thread is not on the centre of gravity. So I need a little plate to offset the cord. I'll post the results when I've done it.

20. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

Yeah, whoever I've been after a shot like you describe, I attach to a monopod and shoot inverted. I also have a 4-section mic boom that I use more for a camera support now with mu43 than i do as a mic boom. it extends to about 8ft; great for getting above crowds or for sticking out of train windows (disclaimer: ILLEGAL!).
    I don't understand how you'd keep the camera/lens oriented swinging at the end of a cord or strap. I know with most zooms and heavier primes, gravity would tip the camera forward.
    Keep it simple...