Hot recondition m.zuiko 12-40mm f2.8 for $639.99

I can't help but wonder why we don't see these refurbished specials on the Lumix/Panasonic side of the house....:confused:

Oh, those do show up from time to time. They just sell them through different outlets. Groupon has had refurb Panasonic cameras as have Newegg. Don't see many refurb lenses though.

Also, "refurb" gear may be extra stock. When a company places an order with a contract manufacturer, they will mention in their contract that production is plus or minus ten percent of the specified quantity. This is a holdover from the days when manufacturing equipment would break down more often. So these days, with better manufacturing processes, the manufacturer typically does a ten percent overrun just so they can charge ten percent more for the overrun to the company. A bit of scam really. So if Olympus contracts manufacturing out, then they will order 1000 but end up with 1100. They send the 1000 to dealers and then sell off the 100 overrun as refurbs.

Panasonic may take a different approach - for example Panasonic may manufacture their own products and so may not be subject to production overruns.

Biggstr

Mu-43 Regular
I have had a mixed experience with refurbished. Call it a 75% success rate. In the past, I've ordered refurbished PEN cameras from Cameta and GetOlympus with no more than 25 to 40 shutter actuations. They looked new; they were new ... at almost giveaway prices! My last two purchases of refurbished products were not successful. The Olympus VF-4 EVF had green smears on the screen ... clearly a defective product. The Olympus 75-300mm lens had significant cosmetic damage. It looked like someone had let the lens bounce around in a gadget bag with gouges at the base and rubbing on the rear lens cap. It should not have been offered for sale as a manufacturer refurbished product. Will I continue to buy "refurbished"? Perhaps someday ... but all of this was of some benefit to Olympus: I replaced the 75-300mm lens with a new one and added an OMD E-M10 to go with it in preparation for the spring birding season. Anxious for the snow to melt.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I agree, Olympus does have some of the worst specifications for refurbished gear, seems it is not rare to get blemished products. To me (and several other manufacturers) refurbished means used but looks and functions as new. To Olympus it seems to mean works well enough for them.

I recently got an refurb E-PM1 for a steal and it the coating on the lcd was scratched in several places, the bottom had several small scratches as well. If I hadn't paid just over $100 for it and intended it to be a beater, I might have refurned it. Almost every piece of Nikon gear I have is refurbished and it all looked brand new. Sony refurbs have been perfect as well. I'm hoping my recently ordered E-M5 is in good shape.

ramseeker

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Jim
Me too re: the iffy refurbs from Olympus. My 75mm f/1.8 refurb has some cosmetic issues that I'm going to live with but I'd have second thoughts about buying again. My refurb OM-D E-M5 was perfect and so was my E-PM1 so it seems when you buy olympus refurb it's a lottery with what shape the stuff will show up like.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Class act by Olympus, again, showing their true colors. Why not contact buyers with:

"Hey, we goofed, we sold more than we had, let us know if you want to cancel or wait till we get more in stock."

It seems they are one notch up from the DMV.

MikeWhitten

Mu-43 Regular
Got a tracking number - it'll be here Thursday. Unfortunately, I won't be here Thursday. It'll be next week before we connect!

Crummy about the error, tho.

Lawrence A.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Larry
Unlike what others have indicated, all my refurbished Olympus gear -- and there has been a lot, cameras and lenses -- has worked flawlessly and looked brand new.

Latest threads

Top Bottom