"Hot" OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by newbert, Aug 9, 2012.

1. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Has anyone else noticed the grip side of the OM-D getting hot immediately after shooting a few brackets and/or chimping? Not like it's too hot to touch, but a definite increase in temperature to "warm".

I carry my OM-D by the grip (with wriststrap), so that may be adding to it, but definitely can feel an increase in temperature from when the camera is off or asleep. Note: I don't have any add-on grip attached to the camera. This is the "bare-bones" (silver) body I'm talking about.

Anyone else notice this? Or am I having a problem? I have not experienced any operational glitches (knock wood) so I'm hoping that this is normal.

Thanks!

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You mean the side the battery is on? Suggest taking the battery out to see if it's the source of the heat (warm is normal, hot is not).

3. dbrantley13

dbrantley13 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2012
    I too have a silver OM-D without the grip and notice an increase in heat when I'm putting the camera through its paces. As you said, you haven't had any operational problems with the camera (nor have I), so I don't think there's anything much to worry about. As is true with any electronic (think laptop when in use), one can expect an increase in temperature when in use. This said, I'll hope I don't bite my tongue in the future if a serious problem shows up.

4. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    I surprised myself with 850 shots without the OEM battery going dry the other day, however many of those were by Hi or Low drives. I carried the camera the same way, the temp felt just normal, warm on the battery side as usual. Likely nothing to worry about.

5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    It depends on environment temperature and direct sunlight, of course (e.g. Greece=300 days of sunlight/year). The OM-D does get warm and I suspect it's a combination of size (not enough space for insulating material, components close together) and IBIS operation. This is true whether you actually shoot or just carry it around.

It never became unconfortable for me, although I do try to protect it. It is the black body, which makes things a bit worse.

6. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by "Hi and Low drives"? I'd love to be able to get 850 shots on one battery charge.

Thanks!

7. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Thanks guys. Your input relieves my concerns.

8. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I think he means high-speed bursts and low-speed bursts. When you take 9 photos in a second, but only focus once, and only run the lcd or viewfinder for a second, you are very power efficient. Most of the battery drain is not from taking a photo, but simply from keeping the camera operating before and after the photo.

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Ya, in the old days when you had a film camera to get multiple shots without having to manually advance the film each time you got what was called a "motor drive" to advance the film for you every time you took a picture.

The term "drive" is still used today for the function switching between single shot, timer, and burst modes. If you look on page 116 of the english E-M5 manual you will see the words "drive" and "drive mode" mentioned.

Also the shots don't necessarily have to be in burst mode. For instance I've done shots with the E-3 which is rated for 400 shots a charge and gotten over a 1000 shots out of the battery, but that was a model shoot and all the shots were within two hours and I never turned the camera off. I'm doing a shoot next weekend with the EM5 so we'll see how it does (although I'll have two batteries with me just in case).

10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    For model work, as you describe, expect more than 450-500 shots realistically. This has been my experience, even with extensive chimping and constant use of the bundled flash as trigger.

11. Stonehollow

Stonehollow Guest

I have not noticed this. Black body, 12-50 or 50mm macro with 1.4 telextender (and adapter) - including high frame rates on the order of hundreds of photos for the day. Temperature has been up to 95 F (35C).

12. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    ...answered by others :)

My average is about 450 and tops off at around 600 for single shots with the OEM battery. With bursts shots the number goes up a lot more.