Hot off the Press! Olympus mu43 Fast Zoom in December!!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jambaj0e, Nov 22, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) New Olympus m43 lens coming in December (12-60mm?)

Gotta hand it to the awesome guys at 43 Rumors! This is has an FT5 rating, which means it's 100% happening!

It looks like it's going to start at 12mm, but the tele end is still not sure, but it could be 60mm. As for aperture, it looks like it won't be a constant aperture, but it should still be a fast lens, maybe like the current Olympus 4/3 lens 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 or the 14-54mm II f2.8-3.5.

Either way, let's hope it retains the aforementioned lenses' build quality, optical quality, and weather sealing in a smaller, lighter package.... for around $1,000!

Olympus 4/3 lens 12-60mm f2.8-4.0

Olympus 4/3 lens 14-54mm II f2.8-3.5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Given that Panasonic was able to drop the price of its 25mm Leica from the 4/3 price of $1,100 to the m4/3 price of $600 while making definite improvements (the 4/3 version WAS cheaper than it is now, but that was before the price fluctuations due to the strengthening yen), I'd like to see some of those price decreases trickle to other lenses. m4/3 lenses don't have to resolve any more than 4/3 lenses did, but they're smaller and use less materials. Regardless, either they're very good at keeping secrets, or they've gotten a fire lit under their butts to prove their worth! It will be interesting to see how quickly this lens makes it onto store shelves.
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I don't tend to be a big zoom shooter (although I've really been enjoying the X10 lately, with a slightly lesser range than this proposed lens), but this could be a nice range if the aperture is fast enough and the size is right. Still a lot to find out, but this is promising, at least. But if its too large and/or not fast enough through the range, I'll stick to primes with the wider range zooms coming out for certain types of travel...

4. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

The Oly 4/3 12-54mm II you are referring to there is actually 14-54mm
  5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    12-45 is good by me! I may buy a zoom to get it. Shg gogogo!

- Eliot
  6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Cool. If they indeed release something like 12-60, it will replace all my lenses except for the 20mm pancake. I only want Olympus to ditch their goofy silver finish in favor of stealthy black.

(And, of course, this lens being Olympus means no OIS, but I can live without it.)
  7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX

- Eliot
    • Like Like x 1
  8. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Very excited. Hopefully it won't depress the value of the Four Thirds 14-54mm II too much when (not if) I sell mine to pick up one of these, should the rumors be true.
  9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Cool...if that 12-54 is an m43 equivalent to the 14-54 then I'm all in...wait a minute did you say $1000? Okay maybe not. Still cool though. The 14-54 is a GREAT lens.
  10. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Please make it constant aperture. Variable aperture is a headache with video...
  11. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    If I had the money for a constant aperture zoom I would get it for sure haha. Just the thought of it makes me drool XD. Hopefully these lenses when made for m4/3 will be cheaper than that 1000 mark, please, please, please.
  12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    This looks interesting. If the variable aperture keeps the size and cost down, then I'm all for it. 12-60 or 14-54, it's all good. But remember the 12-60 in regular 4/3rds mount was and is quite a bit more money than the 14-54 in regular 4/3rds mount. I'm assuming whatever this new Oly turns out to be, it would be less expensive than the rumored fast, fixed-aperture zoom from Panasonic.
  13. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Exciting times! Can't wait to see what comes out in the next year...I think it implies that there are plans for a higher end Pen body (sigh even more expensive than the E-P3??) and bright zooms from both companies give some choice. Course I'll probably be shopping on relative price/value. But I'm glad I haven't bought anything year could be expensive..
  14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If it's f/2.8-4 variable, I don't think I will be too interested. Price will definitely be a factor.

If it's constant f/2.8, I would be more interested, price would be a minor factor.

If it's variable f/1.7 -2.8, I will sell the truck and be first in line to pre-order.
  15. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Considering there are no more consumer-grade 4/3 bodies, I'm pretty sure that the value of the 4/3 zooms that m4/3 users are using as an interim solution will go in the tank, especially as more and more consumers leave 4/3 for a "living" mount. I suppose that's why the OP put his 14-54 up for sale as soon as he posted this :tongue:

You could always just not utilize the extra stop at the short end, nothing is forcing you to shoot the lens wide open when the zoom is racked out to 12mm. While you would be "paying for aperture that you don't use," that would be only for video mode and when zooming. It gives you the extra stop when you need it for non-zooming shots, or for stills. For example, It's nice to have f/2.8 open to you when you need it, let's assume from 12-15mm.
  16. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'm guessing John probably should have phrased it as "please be fast AND constant aperture" heh.

This is certainly interesting, but I will likely pass since I'm heavier on the panasonic bodies, so I won't have IS for the longer end of this. Though, it also depends on what the actual range ends up being.
  17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Yes, I could, but that's another variable (and another thing to get wrong) in fast-moving run-and-gun situations. In more controlled situations, I could do as you suggest, but I've already got a pair of Pentax F2.8 zooms for that. And if I'm not zooming, I'm usually using fast, sharp, and lightweight primes.

Just my $.02 based on my specific needs. Your mileage will vary.
  18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would pay $1000, if it is similar in size and optical performance to the Zuiko 14-54mm (or better yet match the size of the 14-54mm and the optical performance of the 12-60mm, lol), but made to AF at quick m4/3 speeds. $1000 is nothing for a standard fast zoom that could be my main commercial lens. Such a lens would cost at least $2000 from Canon, so why gripe over $1000... to get that kind of performance in a compact system, to boot?
  19. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You all need to stop with the 14-** nonsense! 12!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol :D

- Eliot
  20. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Can someone tell me the advantages of a constant aperature zoom?
    • Like Like x 1