1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hot Air Balloon Festival

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by entropicremnants, Jun 17, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Here are the stills and the film teaser from my fun time at a hot air balloon festival with an "all access" pass to go down with the balloonists.

I got interviews and all kinds of stuff and I'll be making a video of it. Here's the initial "teaser" for the film and some stills. I'll link the overall set of stills thus far at the end.

I'd definitely overrunning my flickr with balloon festival pics, lol.

Edit: Forgot to mention everything was done with a hacked GH1 and hacked GX1 each doing both video and stills. All Panasonic lenses also: the 7-14mm, PL 25mm, and 35-100mm. The GX1 shot the 35-100mm all day and the GH1 used the other two. My G5 and 12-35mm were out on loan.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVzsmXHRE6w]"Flying Patriot" Teaser - YouTube[/ame]

This is the inside of an old balloon that is no longer flightworthy that they inflate with fans so folks can look inside. I'm at the "wrong end" shooting through a tear in the fabric.

9066340793_7d789a6508_c.
    Hot Air Balloon Festival: Inside by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

This Christine who is the pilot of "Patriot" which is the worlds tallest flying balloon at the moment. It's 165 feet tall, has a wingspan of 115 feet and is modeled after the space shuttle only it's 40% larger than the real shuttle!

9068564092_e77d70b0e1_c.
    Hot Air Balloon Festival: Patriot's Pilot by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

This is Christine getting down and dirty on the final hot air inflation. The balloon is so large that even with a dual high-power burner setup it still takes and hour to get the balloon hot and capable of real lift. Here the balloon is starting to really tug on the basket (on it's side) and the tethers holding it down. It takes a whole tank of fuel just to get the balloon fully hot.

9068558286_f8c2dd38ee_c.
    Hot Air Balloon Festival: Patriot Rising by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

But Patriot is initially inflated enough to use the burners using two fans each driven by an 8hp gasoline engine. Even that takes quite a while.

9066334579_437b6a12e7_c.
    Hot Air Balloon Festival: Fan Inflation by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Patriot really is pulling here as the temperature builds -- restrained at this angle by a crew managing tethers on the other side.

9066332889_1269bc9942_c.
    Hot Air Balloon Festival: Patriot Lives! by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Sadly, for various reasons, Patriot did not get off the ground on Saturday and ended up being a display at the "balloon lighting" in the evening.

9066330841_38037080bb_c.
    Hot Air Balloon Festival: All Lit Up and No Place to Go by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Full set (which will grow over time) is available here:

Chester County Hot Air Balloon Fest 2013 - a set on Flickr

2. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Wow! Nice set. Dangerous stuff.

3. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Thanks, Gus!

I have more stills over on flickr -- and more to come but I don't want to overload everything, lol. Mainly I'm busy with the movie now, though I'm at work tonight (boo!) so nothing is getting done on THAT, lol.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Now that REALLY looks like it was some fun - thanks for sharing your experience! :drinks:

5. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    It was at that, thanks.

The lady in the teaser video is the pilot of the balloon. As you'll see in the final version where I present her "interview" she's really passonate about ballooning. One thing was that she was very reticent about speaking at all until I suggested she tell me how she ever became a balloon pilot in the first place. Then she really went to town and seemed to overcome her shyness.

6. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Gh1 and Gx1 might be old, but on the right hand, these two are beast!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    the first photo!. that is your money shot!. love it!

8. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Well done John.

9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The Balloon Fiesta here in Albuquerque is one of the high points of the year -- in the beginning of October. The events at night are my favorite. Admission means being able to go out onto the field among the balloons, and the Christmas lights effect of hundreds of lit balloons after dark never fails to thrill me, like a kid.

Nice shots.

10. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    This is a relatively small festival -- or at least this one was on Saturday. We had bad weather and winds too high to launch on Friday -- the day I didn't have a pass for -- so there were a LOT of balloons left on the ground at night and I heard it was spectacular.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I love shooting Hot Air Balloons. Good stuff John. I just received a 8mm fish today ... an I'm thinkin' ... man... you could 'ave done a lot of damage with a fish an hot air balloons.

=G=

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - terrific set! :2thumbs:

13. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Especially Piranha fish. They'd tear holes in the balloons... oh wait, nevermind...

Which one did you get? 8mm must be the Panasonic?

And thanks.

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Not the Pany, the Samyang for the Fuji.

Hot-Air-Ballons-UE-X2.