1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hot! Adorama - Panasonic 25mm 1.7 lens in stock NOW for $199!!!

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Jonathan F/2, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 9
  2. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks for the find! That is nearly 2x cheaper than Olympus 25mm!

3. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2015
    Have any technical reviews with data been posted somewhere yet?

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yep. And people questioned why this lens existed. Here's why.

M4/3's official nifty fifty.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have a feeling my 25mm f1.8 just lost about $100 of resale value overnight.

Edit: Dang, that bundle at Adorama comes with about $100 of Corel software that is even the latest versions. Paint Shop Pro X7 and Aftershot Pro 2 are very solid Photoshop and Lightroom alternatives.

Edit again for correction: PSP X7 is not the latest version (X8 is out) but Aftershot 2 is the latest.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I couldn't help myself, I ordered the Pan 25mm 1.7 despite having owned almost every small M43 prime! I have a feeling this will be the new kit prime moving forward replacing the old 20mm!

7. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I think it really hurts the Sigma 30 and 19 as well for resale and new purchase.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Does this sale pricing say something about the 25/1.7? People assumed it would be a good alternate to the O25/1.8, but Panasonic seems to have rushed out some price cuts? A bit desperate? Can't say I've heard much good or bad about the lens, but the price cut seems odd.

9. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Now I'm even more curious to see what the lens reviews say about it.

This is all we've got to go on so far:

MJB7cor.

(Note the lower line for the Olympus is MTF60, so is not directly comparable to the Panasonic, but the top lines are both MTF20).

10. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My guess is that they probably made a huge batch of these lenses and will probably include them as part of camera kits as well. I'm also guessing production moved to China, to further reduce cost.

It's weird but I haven't found any online previews of this lens. I should get mine sometime this week so I'll chime in with my opinion!

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Good point. THe 42.5mm f1.7 launched at about the same MSRP as the 45mm f1.8. The 30mm macro is not a cheap lens. Those are recent examples of "lower end" primes from Panasonic. Now with this one we have gone from $299 announcement MSRP to $199 super bundle deal while it is still on pre-order.

We do have examples of good and cheap 50mm equivalents for many systems, though, so it may not say too much. Maybe it's a lame pricing strategy to make it look like it is always on sale.

12. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I think a 25/1.7 at around $199 and frequently bundled would be great long term for the m43 system - as someone already said we needed a relatively inexpensive "nifty fifty".

I've been sorely tempted to jump on this, but the stopping point for me is the size. This lens is about the same size as the 25/1.4 I already have and the Oly 25/1.8 is significantly smaller if I wanted a smaller lens to go with my GM1. I think the Oly 25/1.8 will still have a good market for those who want the most compact lens.

Must stop visiting this thread or I'll end up buying the dang thing anyway ;) Someone should be getting theirs soon on the east coast I'd think!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Interestingly, the optical designs are actually quite different for the 25mm/1.7, 25/1.4, and 25/1.8. From looking at them, you'd almost think that the 25mm/1.7 was just the 25mm/1.4 derated and put in a cheaper housing, but that's definitely not the case.

Though the 25/1.7 has just as much special glass the PanaLeica, and an additional UHR element compared to the 25mm/1.8 that has none. My hope is that Panasonic figured they could just make a really high performing, inexpensive lens if they didn't prioritize size so much. Fingers crossed...

14. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    this lens is being offered free via redemption with the purchase of some panasonic bodies in australia. It's probably going to a cheap accessible lens.

15. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I've been controlling my gear acquisition syndrome pretty well. On a fairly recent discussion of camera bodies (I've got a G5), I mentioned that I'd like to be able to get a new camera with a 25mm kit lens. Kill two GAS birds with one stone.

Hopefully, that's where Panasonic is going with this. (Please Olympus, follow suit!)

16. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Did you see this thread?

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/81184/

You can get the 25mm 1.7 with the Panasonic G7+ 14-42 II for $49 bundled. It was free a couple days ago, unfortunately Adorama adjusted the price!

Adorama G7 kit bundle link:
    http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMCG7B.html

17. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
  18. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    I love how Japanese camera reviewers actually seem to be interested in taking nice pictures. They're always presented nicely, and you can tell they've tried to put a little bit of art into their images, not just snap shots that we get from most review sites.

From what I can see, it looks sharp wide open and has relatively smooth bokeh both ahead and behind the focal plane. Some onion rings in the OOF highlights and cat's eyes in the corner from mechanical vignetting - then again, the shot I'm looking at was also stopped down to f2.8, so it might be better wide open. Also a little bit of green fringing / longitudinal CA and some light vignetting wide open, but nothing I wouldn't expect from a fast lens.

That all sounds like nitpicking though, really. If the size works for you, it seems like the new best bargain lens on the block.

This might replace my 20/1.7. I feel bad even saying that, since I love that lens, and the size is perfect. But...but...

19. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love Korean and Japanese gear reviews. The shots are always nice and pleasant to look at. DPReview samples always look like crap.

• Like Like x 1
  20. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I love how they actually took a brick wall shot but found an interesting composition for it!

It is almost like they go out of their way to take photos that are both ugly and useless at the same time. Honestly, it must take effort to do such a poor job.