1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Horses, wide angle with fake IR pp

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Ray Sachs, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    From a recent bike ride with the ep2 and 9-18:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5046822813/" title="IR Horses 1 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"1354" height="1050" alt="IR Horses 1" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5050760140/" title="horse by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"1354" height="1050" alt="horse" /></a>

• Like Like x 11
  2. jonima

jonima Mu-43 Regular

Who needs color!

Wow, realy nice effect! As a Dutchie I can appreciate a dramatic cloudy sky like the in the first picture.

Great performance, the lens also but definately more the photographer!!

:2thumbs:

Johan

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ray, as always.. You handle the 9-18 with such finess. Always makes me feel like using it but I can't see it the way you do.
    Good stuff... I'm glad you found your vision with the lens.
    Don

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Love these both Ray - you give me serious seller's remorse! Both are beautiful!:bravo-009:

5. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks ray for these beautiful shots. I like the first one most because of the "dramatic" clouds. Well captured !

6. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Great photos - very beautiful.

7. Nice shots and processing. Did you have a carrot or apple for your new friends? It looks as though they came to the fence expecting a handout.

8. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. These had nothing going on until I started playing with one of the IR presets in Aperture - gave them new life. The first one takes advantage of the 9mm wide end, but the second was shot at 18, so the kit lens, the 17, or the 14-150 would have done as well.

And, nope, no apples or carrots. This farm is not far from my town so I pass it on a LOT of my bike rides. These guys are out all the time, sometimes close to the fence, sometimes not. That day they were, and walked over for a closer look once I started hanging out for a bit. Great place to see the little ones born and learning to stand up and hobble around every spring. I feel lucky to live where I do. A great town in its own right, rural areas like this just a few miles out, and Philly is just a short train ride away...

-Ray

9. Pap

Pap Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2010
    Fleetwood, PA
    beautiful images!
    Pap

10. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Very nice, I like the additional width in the view of the first photo (happy I bought a UWA Zoom: Tamron 10-24 mm for Pentax).

Composition of 2nd is not bad, but not much that can keep my interest on the left side.

First is good example to utilize UWA lens.
    - Can you show what original without IR preset looked like?

11. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Sure, here are the untouched files with the default ep2 import settings in Aperture. You can see I removed some flies from the horses face in the first one and removed an entire horse's ass from the second - perhaps it would have held more of your interest in the left side? :cool: I thought it was more distracting that helpful, so I took him out, but he didn't suffer! I agree that the first works quite a bit better - its also quite a bit wider, at 9mm, while the other is at 18mm, so less dramatic.

Thanks for the comments,

-Ray

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5057099689/" title="Untouched horses by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="Untouched horses" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5057099795/" title="Untouched horses (1) by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="Untouched horses (1)" /></a>

• Like Like x 2
  12. Obijon

Obijon New to Mu-43

Oct 6, 2010
    really loved dynamic first picture.

13. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    Loved the first one Ray, would look lovely printed and framed on my study wall!

14. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    You didn't crop the photo, you really took the horse out!!!

15. PeteMarshall

PeteMarshall Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Great shots...I would have been tempted to leave the flies in...but you did right in taking the horse out in the second one, I am sure it's the one I lost on down at the track last week, so I hope you took it out with maximum impact:cool:

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Ray that first black&white is beautiful : the original is nice, but.

17. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yep, its quite easy to do. Unlike Photoshop you can't very well invent stuff and put in IN photos in Aperture, but its easy enough to remove stuff. I recently took a car, powerlines, and two related poles out of an otherwise nice peaceful picture of a country road. If you know where to look, you can almost see some surgical scars, but you have to look REALLY close. I also have one shot of a wooded French hillside that was rudely interrupted by a bus parking lot. I got rid of the parking lot and just cloned some of the nearby woodlands over top of it and not even I can tell anything is weird unless I toggle the changes on and off.

And like I said, the horse did not suffer, no animals were harmed in the making of this non-motion picture, etc, etc, etc. He just didn't think it was a flattering angle and asked to be removed. :cool:

-Ray

18. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Thanks very much - that was my original point about the processing - I didn't realize I had ANYthing there until I converted it and started playing around....

-Ray

19. Taylor

Taylor New to Mu-43

Sep 15, 2011
    Cecil Plains Australia
    Taylor
    Thanks for posting the pics Ray, really nice, Great Job :thumbup:

20. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Agree, very nice images.