Horseback riding at Vaihmalan Ranskalainen viikonloppu 2019

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
They had this special weekend in Vaihmalan Hovi, Lempäälä (Finland) in July. The event was called "Vaihmalan ranskalainen viikonloppu" which translates into "The French Weekend of Vaihmala". The event was created to combine French (gourmet) cuisine, wine, golf and equestrian sports.

I hadn't been to a cross country riding event before so I was excited to grab my camera with me and see what kind of photos I could capture. The other offerings didn't interest me at all and I wouldn't have had the time for those anyway. I had two E-M5s with me and the lenses I chose were Sigma 56mm f/1.4 and Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8. I should have had my Oly 75mm instead of the Sigma but I had to make the lens decisions already at home and had no idea which would be better. The Sigma performed well but I had to crop too much. And I couldn't really use the lens wide open anyway because of the bright sunlight meant overexposing images. I would have liked to isolate the subjects more though. But next time I will have a camera that can do faster shutter speeds with me. ;)

I wouldn't say shooting the approaching horses was easy with my antique E-M5 but I did manage to get decent photos of horses running towards me. The success ratio was bad though. The jump photos were easy because I prefocused on the hurdle. (Somehow I still got a few misses because the camera had decided to focus on the background instead and I didn't noticed when pressing the shutter.) But all in all, I'd say the E-M5s performed better than I had hoped. Obviously I didn't even bother trying the AF-C (or tracking) and only shot with AF-S.

I also made a blog post about the event (it's in Finnish AND English): Vaihmalan Ranskalainen viikonloppu.

So, anyway... On with the pictures then...

002-EM578912 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

005-EM5B5966 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

009-EM5B5993 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

012-EM5B6002 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

014-EM5B6026 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

017-EM5B6057 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

020-EM579008 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

025-EM579090 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

026-EM579092 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

030-EM579119 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

036-EM579164 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

037-EM579166 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

045-EM579221 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

053-EM579249 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

Full album with more pics can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/teemu_p/albums/72157710112513231

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
Hey @pake —I hope you don’t mind me resurrecting an old-ish thread

Great photos. I came to this thread specifically looking for horse event tips :D I actually tried shooting an event with an em-10 and kit lens before deciding that setup did not do well for me. I now have an em-1.2 and am amassing a set of lenses though I have not decided on specifics yet.

I see a fair number of your photos are in the 150mm range, and nearly all >100mm, and a lot at f/2.8 However I don’t see lens exit data. I also see int our sig you own both the O40-150pro and P100-300, so I assume you used the oly pro for these.

So—do you have any tips or lens recommendations? Did you find the 40-150 range good enough for the horse show? How do you think the P100-300 would fare?

I see that you pre-focused some of the images, a common technique. Any other technique recommendations?

I don’t foresee a horse show in the near future, btw: everything is shut down for the pandemic. But that won’t last forever. (in the meantime, it’s birds, scenes, stars, and macro :)

Many thanks,
mickey

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Rather than try to follow focus, pre-focusing is an old trick, that I sometimes still use.
If you know the riders are going over spot A, why not just just prefocus on spot A. That eliminates any chance that the AF will accidentally focus on something in the background (been there, done that).

Lens selection is based on how far you are away from the subject, and how tight a shot you want.
Example, when I shoot for the local high school, I can get onto the field and much closer than the parents. So I do not need as long a lens as they do, up on the bleachers.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see a fair number of your photos are in the 150mm range, and nearly all >100mm, and a lot at f/2.8 However I don’t see lens exit data. I also see int our sig you own both the O40-150pro and P100-300, so I assume you used the oly pro for these.

So—do you have any tips or lens recommendations? Did you find the 40-150 range good enough for the horse show? How do you think the P100-300 would fare?

I see that you pre-focused some of the images, a common technique. Any other technique recommendations?

I don’t foresee a horse show in the near future, btw: everything is shut down for the pandemic. But that won’t last forever. (in the meantime, it’s birds, scenes, stars, and macro :)

Many thanks,
mickey
Thanks - and don't worry about resurrecting this. :)

So... I shot most of them with the 40-150mm f/2.8 but I had my Sigma 56mm f/1.4 with me too and took a few shots with it. MAYBE I could have managed with the 100-300mm too since it was a sunny day and I could have kept the ISO low enough but I think the background wouldn't have been as nice since I shot these with aperture between f/1.4 and f/2.8. My guess is that the 100-300mm would have been slower to focus too. In some cases that wouldn't have been an issue since I did take advantage of the pre-focus thing ac12 mentioned above.

Obviously the 100-300mm would have had more reach but I don't think the pictures taken from further away would have given me anything extra compared to what I now got. Also, using that lens would have ruined some good photos I took because the 100mm would have been way too long for those. So... As ac12 also said, the lens choice mostly depends on your location in the crowd/event.

I was lucky enough to be as close as possible (in the audience) so even the 56mm was long enough in same places (and in some not at all). I tend to think that if my 40-150mm isn't long enough then I wouldn't be able to get great photos anyway since I would be too far from the action. That lens has quality written all over it and the IQ is absolutely stellar. I cannot say the same for the 100-300mm.

I'm not saying it's bad but it really doesn't compare to the Oly PRO lens at all. That being said... It all depends on your expectations and what you are satisfied with. I'm a pixel peeper and a perfectionist and that is not a good combination. I want the best possible IQ without having to drag a huge FF gear with me. So my choice is almost always E-M5III + 40-150mm f/2.8.

Last edited:

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
Pake and AC12, thank you both for the insights. I'm not going to be taking national- or world-level events, just local stuff. I went back and looked at some test shots from year 1 BC (Before COVID) and it looks like even the 12-40 may work. It may be time to diss the 100-300 for a 45-150 pro–in a few months maybe when we go outside and play again :)

amit

Mu-43 Regular
They had this special weekend in Vaihmalan Hovi, Lempäälä (Finland) in July. The event was called "Vaihmalan ranskalainen viikonloppu" which translates into "The French Weekend of Vaihmala". The event was created to combine French (gourmet) cuisine, wine, golf and equestrian sports.

I hadn't been to a cross country riding event before so I was excited to grab my camera with me and see what kind of photos I could capture. The other offerings didn't interest me at all and I wouldn't have had the time for those anyway. I had two E-M5s with me and the lenses I chose were Sigma 56mm f/1.4 and Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8. I should have had my Oly 75mm instead of the Sigma but I had to make the lens decisions already at home and had no idea which would be better. The Sigma performed well but I had to crop too much. And I couldn't really use the lens wide open anyway because of the bright sunlight meant overexposing images. I would have liked to isolate the subjects more though. But next time I will have a camera that can do faster shutter speeds with me. ;)

I wouldn't say shooting the approaching horses was easy with my antique E-M5 but I did manage to get decent photos of horses running towards me. The success ratio was bad though. The jump photos were easy because I prefocused on the hurdle. (Somehow I still got a few misses because the camera had decided to focus on the background instead and I didn't noticed when pressing the shutter.) But all in all, I'd say the E-M5s performed better than I had hoped. Obviously I didn't even bother trying the AF-C (or tracking) and only shot with AF-S.

I also made a blog post about the event (it's in Finnish AND English): Vaihmalan Ranskalainen viikonloppu.

So, anyway... On with the pictures then...

View attachment 772423002-EM578912 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 772424005-EM5B5966 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 772425009-EM5B5993 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 772426012-EM5B6002 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 772427014-EM5B6026 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 772428017-EM5B6057 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 772429020-EM579008 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 772430025-EM579090 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 772431026-EM579092 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 772432030-EM579119 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 772433036-EM579164 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 772434037-EM579166 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 772435045-EM579221 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 772436053-EM579249 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

Full album with more pics can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/teemu_p/albums/72157710112513231
Man ,3 and 6 are crazy sharp!
Maybe I should get this sigma 56mm ....

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Man ,3 and 6 are crazy sharp!
Maybe I should get this sigma 56mm ....
I know! You can crop quite a lot without losing too much details. That lens has to be one of the best lenses in that price region for any format.

The thought DID cross my mind. I do have the oly 60 (macro) so I was going to try with that first as well.
I'd suggest trying the 60mm first since it delivers beautiful pictures too and the f/2.8 should be enough during the summertime. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom