1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Horse Photos

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Ryannn, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Ryannn

Ryannn New to Mu-43

Sep 4, 2011
    Hi Everyone,

First real post, this is a picture i took when i first got my GF2 with the 14mm lens, edited in adobe photoshop and HDR Efex. looking for some advice and any tips in photographing horses, and advice and tips on my photo and if any of you guys have photos of horses that you have taken so i can get some ideas :) im around horses quite abit so would love to see some of the photos you guys have taken.

Leap_of_Faith.jpg

Ryan

2. Cheddarchick

Cheddarchick Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2011
    Very nice...

3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Ryannn,

You're off to an awesome start.

Good action image, nice color and drama, including the sky.

I think the image would be a little more compelling if the left border allowed the horse someplace to go. While it's a wonderful action shot, the horse appears to be leaping against the left side of the frame.

Vertical images often do not leave much in the way of creative cropping.

My 2c. Offered in the most positive way.

Cheers, Alan

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I echo Alan on every comment. Nice timing.

Gary

5. Ryannn

Ryannn New to Mu-43

Sep 4, 2011
    Thank you for the quick response, did take me a few shots to get this one, yeah i see what you mean about it being to close to the left border, specially when the horses feet are planted close to the center. pushing the whole photo to much to the left with not alot happening down the right. However i kind of liked the balance of the plants in the right hand corner to make the photo abit more lively. just wish there was more of a border on the left :) i will up some more photos i got from this session with the same horse in abit :)

Thanks again

Ryan

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    gorgeous processing. Alan's tip is a good one and one I'll keep in mind. I've tried getting decent shots of my wife riding and not had this kind of luck. Impressive!

7. Ryannn

Ryannn New to Mu-43

Sep 4, 2011
    Here are a couple more photos from the same shoot :) just experimenting with lighting and angles :) to make the photo interesting :) these were both edited in just photoshop. :)

Silhouette.jpg

Black_and_White.jpg

Ryan

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Shot number 1 is the goods.

Very nice, drama, action and composition.

To be picky pick picky, I'd have more room above her head. A much nicer more appealing image than the first post.

Nice! You're doing very well.

Alan

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    #1 is my fav also. I think the balance/rule of thirds works well ... the space above the head is okay in my book. My nit is a spot under the horses head ... could be a bird ... could be some dust ...

G