1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Horrific Flash Flooding. Queensland, Australia

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Iconindustries, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey guys, we Australians need your thoughts and prayers as we go through one of the biggest inland floods. The flooding in SE Queenland is horrific.

Last night we spent trapped in Toowoomba ( the largest inland Rural City ) which is about 80km from our home. We've had so much rain that it just comes in torrents because it has been wet for so long the ground only needs 10mm to run. For a normally very dry region this is phenomenal. Yesterday we had to come through the centre of town and this is what I saw.

Flash Flooding in Toowoomba - a set on Flickr

This is some news

This video describes The Toowoomba scene

News Video - Yahoo!7 News

Another video shows the what happend below the Great Dividing Range

News Video - Yahoo!7 News

Brisbane is now the recipient of over 200,000 megalitres of water they've had to release out of Wivenhoe dam to lessen the risk of bursting. It is at a capacity of about 170 percent.

Brisbane flood to surpass 1974 peak - Yahoo!7

We've been able to make it back to our home this afternoon but there is more water coming down the Condamine river near us. This could be worse than the flood we had over a week ago. I'm not sure whether they show any of this on your news but I thought I'd let you know what Down Under is going though.

Thanks mu-43.com,
    Your mate,
    Brady

• Like Like x 6
  2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hi Brady,

So pleased to hear that you've all made it back home safely. I had seen some video footage here but what you've posted shows much more graphic images than I've seen so far. Rather like Boscastle in Cornwall a few years ago, but on an epic scale, and so sad to hear about lives being lost.
    Take care over the next few days, stay dry if possible and above all stay safe, thinking about you and your family.

Barrie

• Like Like x 5
  3. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Hey Brady,
    It looks terrible out there - glad to hear you're doing alright; I actually thought "Hmm, I wonder if any of the Ozzies on mu-43 are being hit by this" when I saw it on the news.

Take it easy mate

• Like Like x 5
  4. Glad to hear you're okay, Icon. The video footage from Toowoomba was terrible - it's amzing how powerful water is. I hope the worst is over for you but the rain over the ranges and Brisbane River catchment just doesn't seem to end. The water is on it's way to Brisbane now that the Wivenhoe dam is about to reach it's flood capacity. On Thursday the water level is expected to reach higher than occurred in th 1974 floods which were the biggest natural disaster to happen to Brisbane. It's hard to imagine areas like the CBD going underwater but that looks like what is going to happen. With the initial controlled releases of water from the dam today we got an indication of what is coming but it certainly will get a lot worse before it gets better. Hopefully everyone here in danger has taken the chance to move to higher ground today and tomorrow morning before it's too late.

• Like Like x 4
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Brady, many of us have been thinking of you and our other Aussie members but seeing direct photos and videos from down there is a lot different from what I have been listening to on the BBC.

Thank goodness you and your family are AOK. Please keep us up-to-date and most of all be safe!

Nic, please - you too, let us know how you are doing and what's going on.

• Like Like x 5
  6. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Brady

It looks horrific - I think of you guys every time it comes on the news - which is all the time now on the BBC - good luck mate, do your best and look after everyone - we'll be thinking of you all the time until you get through it

Bill

• Like Like x 3
  7. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Hi Brady. Will definitely hold you and the other people effected in mind. I hope that people are able to return a normal life as soon as possible.

With sincere best wishes,

Colin

• Like Like x 2
  8. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    Best of luck Iconindustries, Luckypenguin and anyone else up there. It's a shocking situation.

• Like Like x 2
  9. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks for these Brady - we certainly are 'a land of droughts and flooding rains'. Keep safe. We have our own troubles in the west with houses lost in a deliberate bushfire and flooding in our NW but nothing like you have in Qld. Luckypenguin it's still to come for Brisbane - you stay safe too.

• Like Like x 2
  10. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi, Brady and Nic, and any other Aussies if concerned !

We are seeing a lot of footage about your catastrofe in the news !
    So sad to see the lives lost and the damage done.

Our thoughts are with you all !

Stay safe,
    Rafael

• Like Like x 3
  11. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    The disaster does get a lot of news coverage here, but last night I gained some new insights into the scale and human impact. As I drove home the Deputy Premier of Queensland was being interviewed on the radio. His description of the overall scale, the horror of flash floods and the long term impact really hit me hard.

Glad you are safe. You are documenting this event in pictures, and this will be important for future generations.

You are in our prayers.

• Like Like x 2
  12. joanne

joanne Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2010
    cumbria uk
    Please take care and stay safe.

• Like Like x 2
  13. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    It's on the news everyday. This is disaster. I'm glad you're OK. Hopefully the rains will stop soon.

Take care.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, even in the States, with our own terrible news this weekend, the floods in Queensland are getting plenty of notice. Hang in there, stay safe, I hope the weather eases soon and you can stay home and your community can put the pieces together again...

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  15. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thank each one for your heartfelt concerns. I've woken up to a beautiful blue sky today.

The death toll hasn't risen overnight and it still stands at 10 but the number of missing has increased to 90. Most of the missing are from the area below the Great Dividing Range near Toowoomba where a 7 metre wall of water came crashing down.
    A miracle story has come through- a news helicopter was flying along and saw a car floating along in the now turned sea of water and rubbish. They thought it was abandoned until they saw a man waving out the window. The man climbed out bringing with him his child and then his wife also climbed out and sat on the roof of the car. Meanwhile the car is floating down with the current. The news helicopter radioed the SES rescue team and the flew out to pick them up. But when the Helicopter came back with the rescue blokes the car was no-where to be seen. The helicopter flew back and forth in grid patterns for ages, but to no avail so they called it off. This wasn't even a rescue chopper- Thanks Channel 7. Anyway the really good bit is that they have now found the woman and child kilometres away from where they were first sighted. I'm not sure how long after they were sighted but it was definitely over 5 hours. Unfortunately the man is still missing

As Brisbane and Ipswich are now struggling with the water while other towns are on the clean up. It is great to see young teenagers and kids all helping with the council guys clean up. The police and SES are doing a great job and I really am proud of our country seeing everyone working together, helping each other out.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZuKpJv0PlSE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZuKpJv0PlSE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Like Like x 5
  16. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Brady, the personal story is what brings it all crashing home. I pray that they find the husband and father. Thank goodness his wife and child were rescued.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

[​IMG]

Thinking of you.

• Like Like x 2
  18. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Thinking of you Icon

Hey Icon,
    glad to hear you're safe, we were in Brisbane in October and rode the river ferry. It was just beautiful. Our friends live in New Farm which is threatened, however they live high on a hill and their house shouldn't be in danger. We are currently watching the news film and saw boats and landings washed away.
    Will the rain help or hinder your cotton growing? Some of our family grow spuds at Robinvale, and they can't get the harvester into the paddocks because of the rain. Now they face an uncertain future when the waters of the Murray/Darling arrive and flooding will occur.
    However keep safe and we'll talk again soon.
    Cheers DUD

• Like Like x 2
  19. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    DUD Re Murray Darling, there are also heavy falls forecast for Vic tonight and tomorrow so the Murray downstream of Wentworth will cop a double dose by the weekend or next week.

I can't believe this weather, high 20s (Celsius) and 100% humidity. Apparently this has the potential to wipe out the stone fruit harvest with brown rot. It's as if Victoria has SE Queensland's weather and SE Qld has Far North Queensland's wet season. Still, for us in Vic at least it's better than low 40s and 5% humidity as we had this time 2 years ago, and all that led to...

• Like Like x 2
  20. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    It is pretty terrible. Quite a lot of the coastal areas of Queensland are affected, northern NSW and more rain for central NSW expected and they have only just got over floods. On the other side of the country, bushfires around Perth.

My work's Brisbane office was evacuated yesterday - it is in the Brisbane suburb of West End. They won't be able to get back into the office for the remainder of the week. One of the people up there sent some photos of the water making it up the street of her inner-city apartment. She lives on the 15th floor and stocked up from the supermarket yesterday. The supermarket is now under water.

She is lucky as they still have power but the water has risen since the photos were taken this afternoon and a few minutes ago, the water still has a metre to rise tonight, peaking at around 4 am. High humidity and highish temperatures. The place is going to stink like hell.

• Like Like x 2