Horreos

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by angloasturian, Apr 27, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Horreos are wooden structures built on legs and used as grain stores and can be found all over Asturias and Galicia. The first four photos were taken in the tiny village of 'Sietes' where, amazingly, Microsoft filmed its promotional video for Windows 7. 'Sietes' means 'Sevens' so the reason is clear. If you're interested click on this link: (Microsoft marks Windows 7 launch in remote Spanish village - Telegraph).
    The legs have a flat stone near the top to prevent rodents climbing up. The man was happily chopping firewood in his little workshop and chatted with us for half an hour. He's one of the 40 (yes, forty) inhabitants. The clogs are typical (and very practical) in rural areas. People step into them from their doorway (usually in slippers) and step back out when they return.

• Like Like x 4
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Thank you so much for these and for their story! I had just seen them in your gallery and posted there - came back on to the main board and here they are! Absolutely fascinating and these are also very nice photographs.

Do all of these horreos have stone steps up to their entry ways? I think my husband would like to have a horreo for his workshop.:smile:

• Like Like x 2
  3. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks BBW, as always, for your kind words. Yes, they all have stone steps and if you look carefully you'll see they don`t reach the floor of the horreo - again to keep out rodents