horizontal bars in om-d photos

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wawa, Mar 22, 2013.

1. wawa

wawa Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    The photos of my OM-D have horizontal bars appearing in jpg or raw with multiple lenses (olympus and otherwise). I'm attaching a sample at 100% (not necessarily of the region in focus). The lines are worse at higher iso but the sample is at ISO 200.

I reset all settings and nothing changes. The camera is up to date (version 1.6).

Has anyone else seen this? And how on earth do I get them to stop?

Attached Files:

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Does this occur with RAW & JPEG ? How about Auto ? Any difference indoor vs outdoor ?

Someone on the forum had a similar issue a couple of years ago - turned out to be an odd interaction with fluorescent lighting.

If it persists, I'd take it back to the shop or return it or ring Olympus support.
  3. wawa

wawa Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    I saw that post.
    This is in incandescent lighting. It happens with natural light too. Raw & jpg, auto, manual, all settings.
    We didn't just get the camera -- my mom's been using it for nearly a year and it just started the lines recently.
    I guess we'll call Olympus. Thanks.
  4. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Yes, I saw this. Had this special effect last summer. Found 3 forum fellows who had the same. We had these lines from one day to the other. Mine's serial number xxx001700 indicated a very early build date, what's your number?

Resolution: Your sensor unit is defect. Send your camera to Olympus support and they will replace the CCD unit.

Hopefully the defect does not come back after repair.

5. wawa

wawa Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Mine is xxx502810, but we pre-ordered it in May and it's among the first (probably second wave?) to come out.

Thanks -- your post is super helpful :).
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Damn Sony! :rolleyes:
  7. hidefguy

hidefguy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 10, 2010
    Any update? I have a similar issue and the camera has already been repaired but it's happening again after a week. BTW the error code is 3B83 in the hidden menu same as before. when I got it back last time this is what was done:

Details of Repair: Replaced gear case and shutter unit, adjustment, firmware update, clean & check all.
  8. wawa

wawa Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    I contacted Olympus and they said it needs repair. I still have to send it in. They said the work would be covered by their service warranty.
    Where do you see the error code?
  9. hidefguy

hidefguy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 10, 2010
    biofos.com: How to access hidden camera codes on most Olympus cameras.

I'm pleased to tell you it is now possible to access the hidden codes in the Olympus E-5, E-P1, E-P2 and E-PL1 and E-PL2), as well as XZ-1 and probably other compacts too, by following this simple procedure:
    1. With a charged battery installed hold down the MENU button while switching on the camera.
    2. When the LCD lights release the MENU button and immediately press it again, once.
    3. In the menu go to SPANNER (line 5) and press RIGHT.
    4. Press DOWN until you are at the LCD brightness screen (line 3).
    5. Enter the brightness screen (shows twin adjusters) by pressing RIGHT and then press INFO and OK sequentially.
    6. You will see on the LCD 'OLYMPUS' followed by the designation of your camera (eg E-P1).
    7. Press in sequence UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, SHUTTER and UP for screen 1.
    8. You are now in the hidden information screens: RIGHT = screen 2, DOWN = screen 3, LEFT = screen 4.
    9. When you have your information simply switch off the camera.
    Whereas some parts of the hidden information are very useful, others are purely for the technicians and relate to parts of the camera hard/firm and software that is beyond the understanding of ordinary folks like you and I.

PAGE 1:
    I believe these number sequences are relating to the various firmware versions of the different controller boards in the camera and for further information please look at the same section for E-System cameras above.

PAGE 2:
    R: Shutter RELEASES (number of)
    S: FLASH fires (number of)
    C: ?
    U: USF (Ultra Sonic Filter) number of times it is driven by user and by automatic control of the camera is counted.
    V: ?
    B: Number of shots taken with IBIS switched 'ON' (Confirmed by Guy Parsons).
    L: ?

PAGE 3:
    CS: Serial Number; this should match the serial number on the bottom of the camera body.
    MCS: Main CPU Serial Number, Model No, Year and Month of manufacture.
    CSD: (From E-PL1 onwards) Relevance unknown.
    The first four digits of the MCS number are the model code of the camera and the next three digits relate to the year and month of manufacture:-
    E-P1 = 4087 my example first seven digits are 4087905 indicating manufacture May 2009.
    E-P2 = 4096 my example first seven digits are 4096912 indicating manufacture December 2009.
    E-PL1 = 4102 my example first seven digits are 4102003 indicating manufacture March 2010.
    E-PL2 = 4118 (thanks to Chris Wegner's digits of 4118103 indicating manufacture March 2011).
    XZ-1 = 0273 my example first seven digits are 0273101 indicating manufacture January 2011.
    E-P3 = 4124 my example first seven digits are 4124105 indicating manufacture May 2011.
    E-PL3 = 4131 my example fisrt seven digits are 4134107 indicating manufacture July 2011.
    E-PM1 = 4134 my example first seven digits are 4134108 indicating manufacture Aug 2011.
    OM-D E-M5 - 4138 review sample first seven digits 4138204 indicating manufacture April 2012.
    As can be seen from the above examples the three digits after the camera code relate to the year and month of production. The first single digit is the year it was built (0-9). The next two digits are the month of the year it was built (01-12). Read the year first (single digit) then month (dual digit). For example "905" indicates 2009 - May. NOTE: 'My example' only indicates the example I used to discover the codes - I do not own all these cameras! Most codes were uncovered via review sample machines.

PAGE 4:
    D: Damage Codes
    NB: These codes are recorded in 4 digit hexadecimal x 5 occasions; latest occurrence assumes top position. You can no longer clear these by pressing OK or delete button. However, some codes are temporary; I had a fault code on my XZ-1 that I believe happened when the on button was pressed accidentally while the camera was in its loose case causing a lens extension 'blip'. The code disappeared after about 10 start-ups.
    Olympus technicians look here to see what error(s) the camera has recorded.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. wawa

wawa Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Ah, cool.
    There are no error codes listed on mine.
  11. hidefguy

hidefguy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 10, 2010
    That's good. But I would keep an eye on it and make sure to get checked out anyways if you are nearing the end of the warranty period. Mine was doing the same thing and got progressively worse, it would start to freeze and not start up. I just called Olympus and this time they will pay for shipping, their turnaround time is a lot quicker then their stated 10-15 days they state. But I will most likely send it in next week since I have family in visiting.
  12. wawa

wawa Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    They've already agreed it needs repair and I'm sending it in. Good luck with yours.